I'm scared for Moto Mods future

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my Z and moto mods. That being said, I'm a little worried that we are now at a point of no return. I don't believe the mods reached a critical mass, at least not as much as Moto was hoping for. Our promise of a mod a month hasn't really came to fruition either. But the biggest issue might be that the vast majority of mods are way too expensive. This in reality is a budget phone. They didn't start that way, but most people got them at significant discounts (paid $120 total for my Moto Z Droid on Verizon). The fact is that most decent mods can cost almost that much or double in some cases. People want mods, but not at these prices. I also understand that it costs a lot to produce them and they can't really make them cheaper unless they do significant volume. This is why I worry for the future of our beloved Mods. I truly hope I'm wrong.

bobster922

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love my Z and moto mods. That being said, I'm a little worried that we are now at a point of no return. I don't believe the mods reached a critical mass, at least not as much as Moto was hoping for. Our promise of a mod a month hasn't really came to fruition either. But the biggest issue might be that the vast majority of mods are way too expensive. This in reality is a budget phone. They didn't start that way, but most people got them at significant discounts (paid $120 total for my Moto Z Droid on Verizon). The fact is that most decent mods can cost almost that much or double in some cases. People want mods, but not at these prices. I also understand that it costs a lot to produce them and they can't really make them cheaper unless they do significant volume. This is why I worry for the future of our beloved Mods. I truly hope I'm wrong.

I agree prices of the current Moto Mods are high, considering most of them are 1st generation products in my opinion but I feel the issue doesn't necessarily lie in the price tag of these optional accessories as much as it does is the actual sales figures of the Moto Z line of phones.

Besides the Z Play, with its incredible battery life, the Z line of devices sacrificed too much in the way of physical appearance, lack of headphone jack (even on the Force?!), and exclusivity to Verizon for months. Lenovorola just now has started catering to third-party developers and we have still yet to see round two of Moto Mods. Hopefully with the release of the new devices coming we will see a more cohesive plan for their accessories but for now we just wait :)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i'm more concerned about the speedy updates that aren't happening

Last I checked, we're on Android 7.0, with Android Assistant, and March security updates. Not the absolutely latest, but pretty up to date. Are you upset at a lack of 7.1, or because we're just over a week past April without the April security updates?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Last I checked, we're on Android 7.0, with Android Assistant, and March security updates. Not the absolutely latest, but pretty up to date. Are you upset at a lack of 7.1, or because we're just over a week past April without the April security updates?

My thoughts exactly. We're pretty much up to date.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not including the included wood back, I have three different Incipio backs, the red nylon Moto back, the Incipio battery (Qi model), and the JBL speaker.

Hardware takes time. Lenovo just wrapped up the first part of the campaign for independents. Mods are coming out of that.

And I'm expecting all the new stuff shown off at MWC out this summer, like the wireless charging Style Shells, and the GamePad mod.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The JBL Speaker Mod by far the best mod to date. It covers a variety of uses and it also works well with every use it has to offer. That is one mod that is a must. I used to have the Z Force way back when it was first released. Now I'm not with a carrier so I just picked up the Z Play and it's almost identical to the Z Force from what I remember feel wise. Battery is unbelievable too. That said I'm buying a JBL Mod next week. Its definitely worth it to me or at least that mod is any way. I used it the most when I had my Z Force. Almost exclusively from what I remember. I know it's thick but I found it awesome for a speaker phone while in my vehicle or at my office. Movies sounded great and of course music. Its the ultimate mod. I'd of course like JBL to release one half as thick but maybe that's already in the works and we just don't know it. I'm sure we will see other speaker mod variants or I'd be shocked if not. There is a market for that mod so I can't see why a vendor would not try to capitalize on that and improve what JBL released initially.