Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 535
Like Tree163Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #351  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,462 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Motorola's in a curious position. Still running at a loss technically, if you don't count their "Google money", Motorola is considerably doing worse than HTC - another "troubled" Android OEM. Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility closed over a year ago, yet we're still waiting for those devices fully developed under the Google umbrella. Not to say that products like the DROID RAZR M (and it's close cousin, the Intel-powered RAZR i) and DROID RAZR HD were bad products. They just felt like they were a step behind the big players of that era (namely the Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X).

    At Techweek Chicago, comments by Jim Wicks, SVP Consumer Experience Design, seem to position Motorola's next effort as not playing the spec war - hyping the user experience and making "people's lives better" vs. faster processors, more RAM, more megapixels. Comments like this point back to Google I/O, where there was discussion of activity aware APIs where your Android-powered smartphone can know if you're walking, running, cycling or driving. Pair this with Google Now and you've got smart computing. Motorola is no stranger to innovative concepts like this - see MOTOACTV, Webtop. Infusing a Google perspective can only make it better.

    But who's the target audience? Iqbal Arshad, SVP Engineering & Product Development, mentions the 5.5 billion people that don't own a smartphone. With Samsung running away with Android, and HTC having a hit with the One, Motorola might be eyeing a play at a sector where Nokia and now BlackBerry have found success - emerging markets. Does that mean Motorola's next effort will fall into what people here consider midrange or even low-end? If it can deliver on a "better is better" approach, will a midrange classification even matter (to the masses of course, not tech nerds that hang around sites like this)?

    Does a MOTO X need to match a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an HTC One spec for spec just to compete?

    The hype around the Motorola MOTO X is very high. What will the measure of success be? And will it be realistic?

    More -

    From Techweek in Chicago -

    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350262667891572737: "It is passion - the willingness to bend rules, break rules and go beyond - that will drive innovation" - Jim Wicks
    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350262953561436160: "We're not talking about technology, we're talking about people. The technology exists to make people's lives better."
    https://twitter.com/mkeating312/stat...3665959768065: "You don't need to be the technologist to be the only one innovating."- Jim Wicks

    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350264955423047681: "We know that the future of devices is smart computing." -Iqbal Arshad, SVP Engineering & Product Development
    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350265117637738497: "Our industry needs to start building better designs that solve real consumer needs." -Iqbal Arshad
    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350265713971310596: "There are about 5.5 billion people who don't have a smartphone. Our goal is to make their lives better." -Iqbal Arshad
    https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/350266124157468673: "Today, Motorola feels like a startup. Our ambitions are big. Our pace is simply insane." -Iqbal Arshad
    Last edited by Ry; 06-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. #352  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    I am less concerned with having the latest specs if they are not required to receive updates and have a usable device (responsive and lasting battery). My new laptop has an i3 in it and it does what I need just fine. I think mobile specs are hitting the law of diminishing return and now price and software features are the new battleground.

    Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    juicebox666 likes this.
  3. #353  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,061 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by dcunited08 View Post
    I am less concerned with having the latest specs if they are not required to receive updates and have a usable device (responsive and lasting battery). My new laptop has an i3 in it and it does what I need just fine. I think mobile specs are hitting the law of diminishing return and now price and software features are the new battleground.

    Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I'm not sure I agree that we're at at a hard wall of drr, but I agree most content doesn't come close to utilizing what the devices can do. Under current paradigm, a true octacore would be overkill. When the usage of these devices morphs again, it'll be harder for the "low end" devices to stay current, but right now the big differences are noticed either in gaming or in UI stuttering, such as with TouchWiz.
  4. #354  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that we're at at a hard wall of drr, but I agree most content doesn't come close to utilizing what the devices can do. Under current paradigm, a true octacore would be overkill. When the usage of these devices morphs again, it'll be harder for the "low end" devices to stay current, but right now the big differences are noticed either in gaming or in UI stuttering, such as with TouchWiz.
    I kind of agree with you and with DC. I don't see the need at all for an octacore phone. Hell even a a quad core is overkill sometimes. If the efforts of OS development were doubled then I'm sure a next gen dual core could handle almost anything. I mean look at iOS, it plays nice games and has probably the smoothest UI in the game, and they use a 1.3ish Gz dual core!
    Darth Spock likes this.
  5. #355  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    I kind of agree with you and with DC. I don't see the need at all for an octacore phone. Hell even a a quad core is overkill sometimes. If the efforts of OS development were doubled then I'm sure a next gen dual core could handle almost anything. I mean look at iOS, it plays nice games and has probably the smoothest UI in the game, and they use a 1.3ish Gz dual core!
    There's also a point of diminishing returns. All those cores, specs, and features require power which means batteries drain faster which means a juice-less phone is a very expensive paperweight.
    dcunited08 likes this.
  6. #356  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    There's also a point of diminishing returns. All those cores, specs, and features require power which means batteries drain faster which means a juice-less phone is a very expensive paperweight.
    Especially when we as consumers want thin and light (mostly). They could make a phone with enough battery and ram to support all these crazy specs. But no one would buy it because it'd be a brick haha
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.
  7. #357  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  8. #358  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Prandroid81 View Post
    I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Well how much does OEM ui have to contributing to that problem?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
    Thanked by:
  9. #359  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Well how much does OEM ui have to contributing to that problem?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Exactly. If the oems weren't putting new processors in every new phone and actually spent the time to optimize one good processor with their os's, we would have a zero lag android experience. Look at the nexus 4. That thing is buttery smooth
    Thanked by:
  10. #360  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    Exactly. If the oems weren't putting new processors in every new phone and actually spent the time to optimize one good processor with their os's, we would have a zero lag android experience. Look at the nexus 4. That thing is buttery smooth
    Not what I meant but I see your point. I was referring to the "oem user interface" (touchwiz, sense, etc) causing the lag seen in android not android the os.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by bunique4life05; 06-29-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  11. #361  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Not what I meant but I see your point. I was referring to the "oem user interface" (touchwiz, sense, etc) causing the lag seen in android not android the os.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add to it haha. The oem interfaces could be just as smooth as vanilla android if they spent the time to make it that way. Rather than just stick a bigger processor in the phone hoping it fixes the problem.
  12. #362  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add to it haha. The oem interfaces could be just as smooth as vanilla android if they spent the time to make it that way. Rather than just stick a bigger processor in the phone hoping it fixes the problem.
    Remember the saying, Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away? Adding hardware does not help software run as well as actually optimizing the software.

    Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  13. #363  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus have been upgraded to 4.1. Both devices had minor differences in performance regardless of processors.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #364  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,462 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Prandroid81 View Post
    I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations. I'd say on ios specs no longer matter, since that phone is so smooth you can barely tell the difference between processors anymore. However, android requires more computing power and specs such as processor speed still make a noticeable impact on the user experience

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Project Butter was supposed to fix most of that.

    Throwing better hardware specs reeks of laziness.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  15. #365  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,061 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Prandroid81 View Post
    I disagree. I think specs are important on android because the phone still hasn't reached the point of zero lag and buttery smooth animations.
    Which phone is this about? A vanilla device or a TouchWiz device?
  16. #366  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Which phone is this about? A vanilla device or a TouchWiz device?
    You can make a nexus device stutter easily. Just go into the app drawer and swipe through the apps until you get to the widget pages. Lag city.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #367  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,462 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    You can make a nexus device stutter easily. Just go into the app drawer and swipe through the apps until you get to the widget pages. Lag city.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    I concur. Going from apps to widgets in the app drawer in my Nexus 7 is not a good experience.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  18. #368  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,061 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Excellent point. I know a little about why that's happening, but I agree part of butter should have been to smooth transitions like that out, either by prefetching making an assumption you might go there or by making those actually one area of the UI instead of just being conjoined.
  19. #369  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Project Butter was supposed to fix most of that.

    Throwing better hardware specs reeks of laziness.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ive yet to see any of the "project butter" in any device ive owned. ill be passing on the moto x.
  20. #370  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,061 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    ive yet to see any of the "project butter" in any device ive owned. ill be passing on the moto x.
    It was negligible on third party devices IMO but night and day on the gnex.

    Transmitted through spacetime.
  21. #371  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,174 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Stock android is not all its made out to be. I would love to have stock device, but not because it's stock. Because of the development that goes with stock. I would avoid it like the plague it had to be kept exactly like it is. Just too featureless and nothing really interesting.

    Also I am a firm believer that most of the lag issues with android has to do with the base operating system. Skins just make the underlying issues more apparent. Just like if you put stickier tires on a car or add power. Chassis issues become noticeable.

    Sent from my SCH-I535
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  22. #372  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    ive yet to see any of the "project butter" in any device ive owned. ill be passing on the moto x.
    What do you own?

    Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  23. #373  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Excellent point. I know a little about why that's happening, but I agree part of butter should have been to smooth transitions like that out, either by prefetching making an assumption you might go there or by making those actually one area of the UI instead of just being conjoined.
    It's just the UI they chose. It's very graphically intensive. I'm sure there's a way to keep the UI but make it lighter, but they've chosen not to do it.
    Thanked by:
  24. #374  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,061 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    It's just the UI they chose. It's very graphically intensive. I'm sure there's a way to keep the UI but make it lighter, but they've chosen not to do it.
    Yeah but it's also calling two separate areas. Like app drawer and widget drawer are two objects that just happen to be next to each other. You'll see the same stutter in many settings, such as running apps to cached processes, etc. They're grouped together for the user but not in part of the same object. That may have changed in a recent version, but in 4.1 that's how it worked. But you're 100% right, all the thumbnails of widgets do tax it.
  25. #375  

    Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Yeah but it's also calling two separate areas. Like app drawer and widget drawer are two objects that just happen to be next to each other. You'll see the same stutter in many settings, such as running apps to cached processes, etc. They're grouped together for the user but not in part of the same object. That may have changed in a recent version, but in 4.1 that's how it worked. But you're 100% right, all the thumbnails of widgets do tax it.
    I think a part of the problem is that it looks like the widget thumbnails are drawn on demand instead of just being cached. It's the same ridiculousness that apple had when they added backgrounds to iOS, and all of the text had individually drawn drop shadows.
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM
  2. Is the Motorola Droid a good phone?
    By Chrisy in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
  3. Bart Simpson's quotes widget
    By Patriiick in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
  4. Did Droid Save Motorola's Phone Division?
    By johnatthebar in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
  5. Motorola Droid the only Android phone with a flash?
    By xfuchsiax in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions