Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Default Re: Motorola "X" Phone

I just wish Google would make stock Android easier to use for those who are not tech savvy. I absolutely do not subscribe to the farce that is "the iPhone and IOS are user-friendly" because I don't believe that it is any more easier to use than Android, Windows Phone, and even Blackberry.

Rather, I think that Android attracts so many first time smartphone buyers thanks to good price points that it's time to really embrace the ideas of stock tutorials and layouts that are more user friendly (e.g. The camera app, for one thing). I've long stopped using TouchWiz, but that's absolutely something Samsung has gotten right with their skin.

My mother can barely use Windows and shes been interacting with it for decades. There's still a strong segment of people who have a higher learning curve for technology, and Google really needs to cater to these people better with stock. I think more manufacturers would be willing to embrace stock if it was easier to use for first timers (could prove beneficial on lower end devices that sell less for the sake of features than for price points), and I think Android would have a better shot at maintaining first time smartphone buyers in the long run when it's time to renew their contract.

Of course this is merely an observation and I have had little difficulties getting adjusted to the nuances of Android since switching from Windows Phone/Blackberry last year myself, but I do believe it's something Google needs to consider with stock (and hopefully, the Moto X will work to address this as well).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by spawndoodling View Post
    I just wish Google would make stock Android easier to use for those who are not tech savvy. I absolutely do not subscribe to the farce that is "the iPhone and IOS are user-friendly" because I don't believe that it is any more easier to use than Android, Windows Phone, and even Blackberry.

Rather, I think that Android attracts so many first time smartphone buyers thanks to good price points that it's time to really embrace the ideas of stock tutorials and layouts that are more user friendly (e.g. The camera app, for one thing). I've long stopped using TouchWiz, but that's absolutely something Samsung has gotten right with their skin.

My mother can barely use Windows and shes been interacting with it for decades. There's still a strong segment of people who have a higher learning curve for technology, and Google really needs to cater to these people better with stock. I think more manufacturers would be willing to embrace stock if it was easier to use for first timers (could prove beneficial on lower end devices that sell less for the sake of features than for price points), and I think Android would have a better shot at maintaining first time smartphone buyers in the long run when it's time to renew their contract.

Of course this is merely an observation and I have had little difficulties getting adjusted to the nuances of Android since switching from Windows Phone/Blackberry last year myself, but I do believe it's something Google needs to consider with stock (and hopefully, the Moto X will work to address this as well).

My grandmother still has difficulty using a computer but easily picked up her N7.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #378  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spawndoodling View Post

People will then equate easy for less featured or limited. And the hardcore fans of Android will hate that and say the iPhone sucks and they don't want Android becoming like the iPhone.

I don't buy into the price point argument because there's been an iPhone at free, $100, and $200 on-contract for years now.

Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    People will then equate easy for less featured or limited. And the hardcore fans of Android will hate that and say the iPhone sucks and they don't want Android becoming like the iPhone.

I don't buy into the price point argument because there's been an iPhone at free, $100, and $200 on-contract for years now.

And $649 unlocked. Compare $570 (HTC One, double the storage) and $349 (Nexus 4)

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    And $649 unlocked. Compare $570 (HTC One, double the storage) and $349 (Nexus 4)

The number of people that buy handsets at those prices is tiny.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post

But that's the real price of the phone. That's what should be compared.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #382  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Exactly.

The price that matters to consumers is the price that they pay.

Most consumers pay the on-contract price. Full retail is nearly irrelevant.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Exactly.

The price that matters to consumers is the price that they pay.

Most consumers pay the on-contract price. Full retail is nearly irrelevant.

Even so, the One is $100 cheaper than the iPhone on contract and the N4 is $200 cheaper.

But that's the real price of the phone. That's what should be compared.

No it shouldn't. What should be compared is what consumers actually pay.

Even so, the One is $100 cheaper than the iPhone on contract and the N4 is $200 cheaper.

The nexus is available on one carrier, so that's a nonstarter.

Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

The nexus is available on one carrier, so that's a nonstarter.

In the US, yes. Not only in the US.

You can make a nexus device stutter easily. Just go into the app drawer and swipe through the apps until you get to the widget pages. Lag city.

My Optimus G with Nova launcher does not lag doing this. The widget icons aren't drawn the first time through, but the animations/frame rates remain smooth

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #388  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    My Optimus G with Nova launcher does not lag doing this. The widget icons aren't drawn the first time through, but the animations/frame rates remain smooth

And the Optimus G is somehow a Nexus device?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

And the Options G is somehow a Nexus device?

Autocorrect strikes again

It is the exact same hardware as the Nexus 4. Are you saying that the manufacturer optimizations improve performance? I think it is more likely it is just a good graphics chip. And iOS devices also have good graphics performance because Apple has always pushed to get the most powerful graphics hardware available.

It is the exact same hardware as the Nexus 4. Are you saying that the manufacturer optimizations improve performance? I think it is more likely it is just a good graphics chip. And iOS devices also have good graphics performance because Apple has always pushed to get the most powerful graphics hardware available.

What he's saying has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the software. A phone running nova launcher is not the same as a nexus running stock.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

You can make a nexus device stutter easily. Just go into the app drawer and swipe through the apps until you get to the widget pages. Lag city.

Just tried it on my N4 using the stock launcher. I can honestly tell you that I experienced zero lag.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Just tried it on my N4 using the stock launcher. I can honestly tell you that I experienced zero lag.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Its done it for me on every nexus device I've used.

What he's saying has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the software.
    No. Neither LG nor the developer of Nova launcher has any kind of magical lag-killing software tweaks. The Nexus 4/Optimus G just has powerful hardware. This cannot be said of older Nexus devices.

1) Lag on older and/or low cost devices indicates a problem with Android's performance on older/low cost devices
    2) A powerful new device can run Android perfectly fine whether it is a Nexus or not
    3) Some of Samsung's features appear to hurt the GS4's performance

Agreed?

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #395  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

No. Neither LG nor the developer of Nova launcher has any kind of magical lag-killing software tweaks. The Nexus 4/Optimus G just has powerful hardware. This cannot be said of older Nexus devices.

1) Lag on older and/or low cost devices indicates a problem with Android's performance on older/low cost devices
    2) A powerful new device can run Android perfectly fine whether it is a Nexus or not

Agreed?

Curious -

Do you get the same results without Nova?

Are you saying the hardware on the Nexus 7 is old and irrelevant? It's the current Nexus 7" tablet.

The Galaxy Nexus is, and I have zero lag doing this (on Nova Launcher)
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #397  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    The Galaxy Nexus is, and I have zero lag doing this (on Nova Launcher)
    And without Nova launcher?

Agreed?

No. Not agreed at all. Android still lags on powerful hardware. Especially in a specific place like the widget drawer. Other launchers are irrelevant to the discussion.

And back to the X phone..... Evleaks put out a post on twitter clarifying the model numbers......

To clarify: DROID Ultra=XT1080, DROID MAXX=XT1080M, DROID Mini=XT1030, and Moto X=XT1060

I am going to assume that the Droid phones were the leftovers in the pipeline, and the Moto X is the customizable brainchild of Google/Moto.
    People say, it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean that counts.

But you can't get to China in a canoe.....

ROM
    Viper

I am going to laugh when there is absolutely nothing interesting about the fabled xphone. I guarantee it will be just a different variation of the upcoming droids that they will slap an x on.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 ... LastLast