Motorola "X" Phone

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
<rant size="small">Not sure right now if this is enough... I've been with HTC for a while, then I picked up the Razr Maxx. I don't have an issue with MotoBlur or whatever they want to call it now. It's time for a new device. I just have not thought the new M series or the HD series of Razr peeked my attention. Now with the HTC One coming out (possibly even to Verizon), and the Galaxy S4...

Unless I hear something really fantastic about the new "X" from Motorola very soon, I'm not sure it will be enough to keep me waiting for Motorola's next big thing.</rant>

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
1am, huh? Ugh, fun times indeed! Glad you got them though!

Your G-1 first look video today was great! I love that you can add Folders to the Home screen and put stuff in it like your games. Sweet!

And that's what I thought...

This does show that Google does have plans for moto though. That is something I never thought I would see them state publicly. Heck I didn't think they would use moto at all or they would use them to push the market but never give them super exclusives(which they might never)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Um, Goog CFO just dumped on this year's releases from Moto: Google's CFO says Motorola's upcoming products aren't 'wow by Google standards' | The Verge

I guess that limits either the X Phone to the end of the year or it is not as 'wow' as Google has in mind.

I'm going to lean towards the former on this one.

Curious. What exactly is "'wow' by Google's standards"? Buzz? Wave? Nexus Q?

Just saying.

And this is why, I am leaning towards the former. Yes, even Phil admits that Google can miss sometimes, but I'm thinking about their Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 devices when I think about "wow" products. And YES I KNOW that the X probably won't be a Moto Nexus per-se, but even if it's remotely close to that, combined with Moto's build quality, radios and battery tech, I will be a happy camper, as I would imagine most fans would be too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And this is why, I am leaning towards the former. Yes, even Phil admits that Google can miss sometimes, but I'm thinking about their Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 devices when I think about "wow" products. And YES I KNOW that the X probably won't be a Moto Nexus per-se, but even if it's remotely close to that, combined with Moto's build quality, radios and battery tech, I will be a happy camper, as I would imagine most fans would be too.

via Phil..

Here's the meat of what Pichette actually said in his talk:

The case for Motorola, as I've said many times on the [earnings] calls, we've inherited a pipeline. Motorola has a great set of assets. And it had a pipeline of products that were fine, but not really to the standard to what Google would say was "wow." "Innovative." "Transformative."

So we have been working really hard, through [CEO] Dennis Woodside and his team, to take a hold of Motorola, really kind of putting it on a trajectory that's much more what we believe at Google is the right mindset, the right timeframe. You invest for the long term.

But we've inherited 18 months of pipeline that we actually have to drain right now, and while we're actually building the next wave of innovation and product line. And so far, as we've said many times in the past, we have to go through this transition. These are not easy transitions. We're very optimistic. We're very supportive. And we have a great plan for Motorola.

Motorola has a great set of assets. And it had a pipeline of products that were fine, but not really to the standard to what Google would say was "wow." "Innovative." "Transformative."

had.

:)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
18 months from the announcement of the acquisition or the close of the deal? That's either roughly 9 or 18 months ago. A lot of these quotes look to be taken out of context. Also, just because they had products in the pipeline, that doesn't mean that can't develop anything alongside those. I am sure they will release those regardless. It's all speculation now until this summer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
18 months from the announcement of the acquisition or the close of the deal? That's either roughly 9 or 18 months ago. A lot of these quotes look to be taken out of context. Also, just because they had products in the pipeline, that doesn't mean that can't develop anything alongside those. I am sure they will release those regardless. It's all speculation now until this summer.

You're not really acquired until the deal closes.

anon(2953)

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Let's not forget how quickly a company NOT owned by Google... Asus... was able to put together arguably the most successful tech gadget of the year.

Don't discount what we might ​see at I/O just yet!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like we got a leak this morning, interesting timing considering the S4 unboxing later this week:

4.7-inch Full HD display
NVIDIA Tegra 4i processor
16-megapixel camera
5-megapixel front-facing camera which also serves as a light sensor with eye scrolling features
dimensions: 131.2 x 66.7 x 7.9 mm

Google / Motorola X Phone specs, features and image leaked ahead of Galaxy S4 launch

Yay an actually interesting leak! Smaller dimensions than a RAZR hd? I take that. Tegra 4? Sounds good.

My question is will it have a screen that sucks as hard as other moto phones, or will there actually step it up? If those dimensions are true, I am going to laugh at all the :confused: and "but but no 4000 mah battery?" that are destined to come. Silly silly dumb Internet.

O and the opinion part talking about Google attacking Samsung in the article. Not going to happen. Google will probably try to one up the s4, but I don't see an all out attack coming at. It would be cannibalistic for Google to do that. Plus we all know the xphone won't be anywhere near as successful as the s4 anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yay an actually interesting leak! Smaller dimensions than a RAZR hd? I take that. Tegra 4? Sounds good.

My question is will it have a screen that sucks as hard as other moto phones, or will there actually step it up? If those dimensions are true, I am going to laugh at all the :confused: and "but but no 4000 mah battery?" that are destined to come. Silly silly dumb Internet.

O and the opinion part talking about Google attacking Samsung in the article. Not going to happen. Google will probably try to one up the s4, but I don't see an all out attack coming at. It would be cannibalistic for Google to do that. Plus we all know the xphone won't be anywhere near as successful as the s4 anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535

The S3's success is built on the original S and S2, my guess is Moto will want to reset expectations with it and provide a stock Android experience for them to build upon in marketing over the next year or two. Going overtly against Samsung would not help Moto or the Android ecosystem. The last thing Google wants to do is show they are playing favorites with Moto against other manufactures.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't care less if it's 7.9 mm.
Why don't they squeeze in as much battery as possible into a 9 mm design?
I know that most mainstream users will look at how thin a phone is as opposed to how long the battery lasts when they are buying. I just want excellent battery life over top of the line benchmarks at this point.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope they source panels from whoever HTC is sourcing the 4.7" 1080 panel from for the HTC One.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The S3's success is built on the original S and S2, my guess is Moto will want to reset expectations with it and provide a stock Android experience for them to build upon in marketing over the next year or two. Going overtly against Samsung would not help Moto or the Android ecosystem. The last thing Google wants to do is show they are playing favorites with Moto against other manufactures.

As long as Samsung still makes phones that connect to Google Play, I really don't see Google having too much of an issue with Samsung's success. Google is still getting the info they want.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my SCH-I535

2500-3000 mAh should be good enough. Gives them room to make a MAXX version.

Personally, I'd rather it be Snapdragon 600 or 800 powered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674