If this phone doesn't have any flashy features will you still get this instead of HTC/Samsung?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If the X is stock android, with updates straight from Google, Moto build quality, Moto voice radio quality and a Maxx battery, this will be my next phone. And I hope it has a radio that will run on VZ's network, because if not I'll go to whatever carrier has it. Are you listening VZ? No, of course they're not, they never do.

Actually Google revealed something genius at io. They revealed a new way of rolling out android updates, where Google would update the underlying android os, and the manufacturer/carrier would update their skins. I'm really excited about it, it should really speed up android updates and help ease fragmentation since it is the manufacturer/carrier skins that slow down android updates if you don't have a nexus.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually Google revealed something genius at io. They revealed a new way of rolling out android updates, where Google would update the underlying android os, and the manufacturer/carrier would update their skins. I'm really excited about it, it should really speed up android updates and help ease fragmentation since it is the manufacturer/carrier skins that slow down android updates if you don't have a nexus.

Here's the thing with that. Google is able to update Google Play services. Essentially, an app can gain new functionality with an update to Google Play services. But take two devices, one running 4.0.4 and one running 4.2.2. That app will have access to all the new things in Google Play services yet the people on 4.0.4 will "feel" they're not up to date.

Oh and it's still more than just "skins".

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing with that. Google is able to update Google Play services. Essentially, an app can gain new functionality with an update to Google Play services. But take two devices, one running 4.0.4 and one running 4.2.2. That app will have access to all the new things in Google Play services yet the people on 4.0.4 will "feel" they're not up to date.

Yea i know Ry, I was just stating the most obvious reason. Another big one is those proprietary CDMA files that sprint and Verizon hoard to themselves, it would help if Google had those as well. As well as all the carrier testing/tweaking etc etc etc...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yea i know Ry, I was just stating the most obvious reason. Another big one is those proprietary CDMA files that sprint and Verizon hoard to themselves, it would help if Google had those as well. As well as all the carrier testing/tweaking etc etc etc...

IMO, as long as Google Play services is up to date, my devices are up to date.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

did they change Google Now so that it runs on pre-jellybean devices now? I haven't seen anything to indicate so. I imagine that would be a pretty major announcement so I don't think I missed it

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Thx X would be my #1 choice if it's got:

Comparable quality Screen and Cameras. (To other flagship level devices)
Lightly skinned or stock
Razr Maxx type battery
4.7ish screen size
Solid radios (not much doubt of that at least)
On VZW

Of all the stuff the GS4 and One hit with, I'd only be interested in Zoe. The rest, I'm glad to see go.

I'm really hoping Moto comes through on this one for me, as I'm not overly excited about either the GS4 or the One, and would have a tough time going with one of them as my new device for the year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Lightly skinned or stock
Razr Maxx type battery
4.7ish screen size
On VZW

Of all the stuff the GS4 and One hit with, I'd only be interested in Zoe. The rest, I'm glad to see go.

I'm really hoping Moto comes through on this one for me, as I'm not overly excited about either the GS4 or the One, and would have a tough time going with one of them as my new device for the year.

So.. the only thing they haven't hinted at from this is the screen size. Everything else seems like it's a "given" on the rumored specs list. Sounds like this has a good chance of meeting your criteria. For that matter, the Razr Maxx is pretty close to your list.

did they change Google Now so that it runs on pre-jellybean devices now? I haven't seen anything to indicate so. I imagine that would be a pretty major announcement so I don't think I missed it

4.1+ and iOS only still as of today.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Google Now is still a Jelly Bean exclusive on Android.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So.. the only thing they haven't hinted at from this is the screen size. Everything else seems like it's a "given" on the rumored specs list. Sounds like this has a good chance of meeting your criteria. For that matter, the Razr Maxx is pretty close to your list.

Yeah, I almost jumped on the Maxx, but My Gnex was still in good shape when it launched. By the time I had to replace the Nex (it took a swim without insurance) I grabbed an S3 to hold me through the summer. Probably will be easier to sell when I'm ready.

I'm guessing Moto won't go bigger than 5, which I can deal with I think, as long as they keep the dimensions tight.

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Google Now is still a Jelly Bean exclusive on Android.

In that case my previous point is the same. There are still some groundbreaking features in new OS updates that can't come through Play Services updates. I understand this isn't an issue you care about which is fine, however it is for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In that case my previous point is the same. There are still some groundbreaking features in new OS updates that can't come through Play Services updates. I understand this isn't an issue you care about which is fine, however it is for me.

There was a time when new Gmail features were exclusive to ICS.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Lightly skinned or stock
Razr Maxx type battery
4.7ish screen size
On VZW

Exactly what I'm looking for. Love my Galaxy Nexus, but the battery life isn't the greatest (and I have the extended one, plus an extra). Here's hoping that it's released by sooner rather than later!

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There was a time when new Gmail features were exclusive to ICS.

Don't get me wrong, if the OS itself could be indefinitely updated in this new fashion that'd be awesome for all of us! Unfortunately some newly introduced features of a major kind will still need to be baked right into the OS itself. The movement of API's has mitigated the influence of carriers for a lot of things though, so it's still an improvement.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd buy it if it was nothing more than the Motorola take on a modern phone.
Essentially the S3 and Razr HD have the same basic internals.
I have owned nothing but Motorola smart phones since I switched to Android.
Droid X -> Droid Bionic -> Droid Razr -> Razr Maxx -> Razr HD

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a simple man with simple needs....I stay a Moto fan for reception. So it wouldnt matter to me about about the features.

Over the past few years I tried to use other phones....and Moto stayed/stays my daily phone. I have a 3 line family plan and I do wanna get the GS4 and One too.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It looks like Moto has leaked at least one "feature" so far. Apparently they're implementing some kind of location recognition (not meaning GPS location) so that the phone can automatically tell if it's being taken out of pocket, or in a moving vehicle etc and change it's state accordingly. ie screen comes on when you take it out of pocket etc. I kind of like that, so I don't have to keep pushing the power button to wake my phone up every time I pull it out. Hopefully they put some good old Motorola Maxx battery goodness in this phone because I imagine that'll be a drain. I think they did mention some kind of battery life improvements though. No source sorry guys, I heard it on the radio and I think it was part of the D11.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Moto has leaked at least one "feature" so far. Apparently they're implementing some kind of location recognition (not meaning GPS location) so that the phone can automatically tell if it's being taken out of pocket, or in a moving vehicle etc and change it's state accordingly. ie screen comes on when you take it out of pocket etc. I kind of like that, so I don't have to keep pushing the power button to wake my phone up every time I pull it out. Hopefully they put some good old Motorola Maxx battery goodness in this phone because I imagine that'll be a drain. I think they did mention some kind of battery life improvements though. No source sorry guys, I heard it on the radio and I think it was part of the D11.

http://allthingsd.com/20130529/live...egina-dugan-at-d11/?mod=atd_homepage_carousel

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma