This phone would give me the creeps

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys comfortable with it tracking you, knowing where you are, knowing if you are in a vehicle or walking, and just the general awareness. What are your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

ledfrog

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what it does with that information. If it's just a local feature between my phone and me to help in situations like giving me live traffic all the time or reminding me that I need to go to the grocery store as I'm driving by it, then I'm fine with it, but if it's sending that data out to the world so I can be bombarded with an advertisement for Best Buy just because I walked into one, then I wouldn't be cool with it! Although some might like a feature like that.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys comfortable with it tracking you, knowing where you are, knowing if you are in a vehicle or walking, and just the general awareness. What are your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

All phones do that, the only difference I can see is phone allows you to use the data it collects.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have a smartphone now? Then unless you disable GPS and geolocation services, you're being tracked. I find the purported local sensor features to be intriguing more than anything.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
May as well just stop using cell phones and all other internet-connected devices if you're worried about location tracking.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
uh yea! lol. I love that the NSA can see what I text, post and say, while tracking my location.. It's why i use a Cellphone for everything and enable GPS and Geolocation services.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The best technology is unseen. If you're creeped out, honestly you should probably be using burner phones and multiple/expiring email addresses. (or just not have any cell phone)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is a poor attempt at sarcasm -- last time I was at my doctor's office he implanted a tracking chip behind my ear. Oh wait, that wasn't me, that was my dog...........or was it?? Sorry, I know that is stupid, but there is nothing we can really do other than not use a cell phone. Even trying to use it with disabling GPS doesn't really work since you are constantly reminded to turn it back on. Sarcasm aside, I think it is only a matter of time before parents start putting chips in their children the same way we do for pets now.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tracking a person's movement doesn't require GPS to be on if they connect to any networks. Every device has a unique ID, a unique address and every network it touches has a fixed location that can be triangulated. GPS makes that process faster, in some cases. Using masks or a vpn or other tools doesn't make it really harder or more difficult to determine the who, what and where of activity, it just makes it take slightly longer to manually do it. With an computer doing the tracing for you, it's the difference between half a second and two seconds maybe.

The good news is that these companies don't care what you as an individual are doing. They care about behavioral patterns in data that allow them to do a combination of cluster analysis and statistical regression for their advertising and data optimization procedures, and a brand of machine learning, very similar to the search algorithms, running server side are used to model your interactions with the environment. It's neural networking in a very real sense and it doesn't require specific knowledge of you to function, only for you to exist in a node or pathway that it can extrapolate it's own context from. That's what makes this so amazing... the computers needed to do this in civilian life 10 years ago were monstrous and now it's a combination of the cloud, a bank of integrated servers and a tiny box that gets slightly warm in your pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781