What would stop you from buying the Moto X?

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The key lies in WHAT runs faster, smoother and longer. will the optimizations extend to 3rd party apps? For example If I buy this for my wife, who is among the target demographic, will the faster, smother longer, disappear when she runs Facebook or 3rd party widgets?

I meant everything running smoother. However, some apps that are poorly written I would not fault the phone for.

desertcat

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
With every new phone announcement, I've convinced myself to wait and see the reviews. Being grandfathered into an unlimited plan, I'm looking into purchasing my next phone unsubsidized. So, what would stop me from buying the Moto X is if 1) the unsubsidized price is too high (if the price is close to the S4 or HTC One, why settle for mid-level specs), 2) the longevity of the performance expected with the included specs several years down the line, 3) camera is sub-par (doesn't need to be earth-shattering, but should address past issues with Moto cameras), and 4) lack of storage size options (my current phone has reached the storage maximum and is causing performance issues. I don't need it to be the largest screen or the highest resolution as I don't really watch movies or videos.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Screen & CPU and so on. Doesn't seem future proof to me. That alone is an issue for me. Just get a N4 for cheaper with better specs IMO. (Pricing is a guess but most likely correct.)

No such thing as a truly future-proof device.
Everything in the industry will be outdated rather quickly.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Even more the reason not to buy the MOTO X....So we agree. +1...
Now that the specs are known...why are you on this forum? If the price is announced at $699 you'd never see me post here again. I wouldn't spend my day repeating myself over and over to people who have different desires in a phone...

vjynn

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
With all that's (mostly) been revealed about the Moto X thus far, is it something you would want to pick up, or is there something it's missing that's really important to you?

I was really excited about the Moto X but ultimately decided to hold off due not so much to one thing but instead to what I think is a more promising phone overall. I decided to go for the Ubuntu Edge after seeing the specs and reading about its capabilities overall:

first off, it can dual-boot Android & Ubuntu
4.5" screen with sapphire crystal display
4GB RAM
fastest CPU
Dual LTE
I really like that I can run a full Desktop with the phone as well.
I like the design of the phone: little smaller than 4.7", power button is NOT on the side, speakers are not on the back, 3.5mm is on the bottom (not the top), etc.
And the Ubuntu Touch software looks like it is going to make operating the phone super efficient.

Basically, I like what I'm seeing from Ubuntu more than what I'm seeing from Android. So I don't want to invest in an Android Phone right now. But if I was going to invest in Android, I'd go Moto X.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Now that the specs are known...why are you on this forum? If the price is announced at $699 you'd never see me post here again. I wouldn't spend my day repeating myself over and over to people who have different desires in a phone...

Because we have no official word. Plus this is a public forum to talk about opinions. Like any other forums.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been excited for this phone because of the rumors of battery life and durability, so if they didn't deliver those I might consider other phones. The problem is that the GS4 is huge and the HTC One's camera is meh, and both use physical/capacitive buttons, so they're different than the total Google experience (I would definitely flash the GE ROM on those phones, otherwise I wouldn't even consider them due to the long development periods of custom ROMs). As for the Nexus 4, it's got a glass back so it's really fragile. I might have waited for the Nexus 5 if the Moto X turned out sub-par, but my GS2 has to be underclocked to 800 MHz or it crashes. But I really don't see the Moto X being a disappointment unless you care more about specs than real-world performance. Besides, if rather give money to a company that I like what they're doing than one I don't (looking at you Samsung).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I was really excited about the Moto X but ultimately decided to hold off due not so much to one thing but instead to what I think is a more promising phone overall. I decided to go for the Ubuntu Edge after seeing the specs and reading about its capabilities overall:

first off, it can dual-boot Android & Ubuntu
4.5" screen with sapphire crystal display
4GB RAM
fastest CPU
Dual LTE
I really like that I can run a full Desktop with the phone as well.
I like the design of the phone: little smaller than 4.7", power button is NOT on the side, speakers are not on the back, 3.5mm is on the bottom (not the top), etc.
And the Ubuntu Touch software looks like it is going to make operating the phone super efficient.

Basically, I like what I'm seeing from Ubuntu more than what I'm seeing from Android. So I don't want to invest in an Android Phone right now. But if I was going to invest in Android, I'd go Moto X.

Depends on the price of the Moto X. I have committed 600 for the Edge, but would drop 300 for the Moto X to hold me over until May.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
moto x with current specs should be $400 retail. if they had a supercharged version with an s800+better screen for $600 id jump all over it.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
In my mind I would find it as STILL a mid level device for a few reasons.

1) CPU speeds do matter on some apps. Games, mostly but I think we will see this more and more on some of the utility apps that are out there. Is this a silly way of thinking right now? Of course but I'm thinking years down the road for someone who wants a device for a year or so. Also not having a 1080 screen is just lame and there is no reason for this. Everyone wants a great screen! I mean lets be honest its one part of the phone we use the most.

2) Resell value is also important to me. Trying to sell a device at the mid level is a lot harder. Because of the features are awesome other OEM's will follow suit and use them in the higher tier devices within the next year would by my guess. So the phone features may not be a selling feature anymore to a stock user.

3) 5 inch phone is NOT important to me personally. So I will not comment much here. BUT I will say its an important selling point to most Android users. Why? I don't know.

But just like you guys I am simply second guessing my self right now. I can be wrong and I might eat these words in a few weeks. However its my current opinion and I will stand by it until then! In fact I'm hoping I'm wrong and they beef up them specs some. I'm not interested in buying a S3 level phone....Even though its a little bit better and better optimized I'm sure.

Per your points, I totally get wanting to future-proof yourself. For the processor, I would dissent that having a balanced chipset that can still deliver battery life and performance is more important for future-proofing than to shoot for top tier speeds. In this regard, RAM is a more critical element to the overall speed. There is a very good reason to not have a 1080p screen and that reason is battery life. You said yourself you don't want a 5" screen, so why would you want to cram a 1080p screen into a smaller area at the expense of battery life? It'll still look great and the battery benefits would outweigh any perceived difference in sharpness.

As for resale value, Android falls quickly no matter what you do. You'll always be taking a loss when trying to resell an Android phone. The only way to minimize the impact is to lower your upfront cost, and that's exactly what Motorola's most likely doing.

If it helps you understand better, even with only the leaked specs, the Moto X is NOT an S3 level phone. Even just analyzing the specs, the Moto X has a higher clock speed, better GPU, and won't be running a heavily modified version of Android with TouchWiz. In fact, if you compare just the specs to other "midrange" devices that are either out or coming soon, the Moto X is sitting higher than all of them.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
1.OS Lag
2.Battery life not on par with the Galaxy Note 1
3. Slow os updates
4. Size phone must be smaller than my S3 and no thicker than a N4.

If phone has any of these issues then I will gave to pass until I see the next nexus phone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm concerned about lag too, but not due to the internals of this phone. 4.2.2 has wreaked havoc on devices that have received it as an update and it seems it's still not quite finished.

Battery life will be questionable. My RAZR MAXX HD didn't deliver amazing battery life because of solely how big the battery was, but for how well the CPU slept when the screen was off. The Moto X has to do this and then some.

Updates will be a non-issue. Even the aforementioned RAZR MAXX HD got updates pretty fast and Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would receive them quickly too, like the GE devices.

If you check around, the size of this phone will fit right into your dimensions. It's only a little bit smaller than a Galaxy Nexus.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 things that will have me not purchase a Moto X:

1) Camera. If the camera is ****, I won't purchase it. The camera needs to be on par with what is on the market already - don't care about the price point. If this is to be my "everyday" camera, it needs to be decent in low light conditions.

2) Relative performance. If it greatly underperforms the HTC-One Mini or the S4 Mini I will just get one of those as I know they (should) run stock Android and that they should have good performance.

If you're comparing it to the One Mini or SIV Mini, I wouldn't be worried. Even on paper, the Moto X is ahead. We'll have some more benchmarks next week to confirm that further.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the phone definitely looks great from the photos I've seen. I wouldn't imagine that the phone wouldn't run smoothly if advertised a as the next big thing from Google and Motorola. I would wonder if it will implement Google Wallet. I also am curious about the price. If the price is around that of the Nexus or lower, it should be a good buy.

Sent from my Nexus 7

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm concerned about lag too, but not due to the internals of this phone. 4.2.2 has wreaked havoc on devices that have received it as an update and it seems it's still not quite finished.

Battery life will be questionable. My RAZR MAXX HD didn't deliver amazing battery life because of solely how big the battery was, but for how well the CPU slept when the screen was off. The Moto X has to do this and then some.

Updates will be a non-issue. Even the aforementioned RAZR MAXX HD got updates pretty fast and Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would receive them quickly too, like the GE devices.

If you check around, the size of this phone will fit right into your dimensions. It's only a little bit smaller than a Galaxy Nexus.

Devices that have had issue with stock android were mostly OEM UI or hardware not coded correctly with stock android.

Motorola is a "Google Company " so software should be solid regardless of internals.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Specs don't mean a damn thing as long as it lasts all day and runs smooth. The only way I don't buy this phone is if it doesn't come to Verizon or if it's priced ridiculously.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Due to my experience with my Galaxy Nexus so far, I'm mainly concerned with battery life. Still, I don't think there's one thing that will keep me from buying my next phone. I have to consider a combination of factors when looking at my next phone, and I'm currently looking at either an Ultra/Maxx or a Moto X. I need to see what kinds of trade offs I'll be making by choosing either phone. Hell, I may even decide on a GS4 or a One, though that's not too likely as I really have been wanting a Motorola for my next device.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Big No for me.....
No removable battery......
No sd card slot.....
No sale!

Besides I've been completely spoiled by the incredible battery life of my Note 2, awesome large screen, and its the absolute most trouble free, smoothest running phone I've ever had!!