Moto X and Droid Ultra/Maxx share the same processor.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...x8-chip-gives-us-a-lesson-in-marketing-speak/

Screenshots of the Moto X show the same processor MSM8960DT. The internals shared are very similar to the Droid phones which makes me wonder - how will they be able to keep the price point so low, especially on Verizon?

The Ultra appears to be the Moto X in a different shell and will be 199 on contract and I believe 599 off contract.

August 1st can't come soon enough. Your thoughts?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola’s “8-core” X8 chip gives us a lesson in marketing-speak | Ars Technica

Screenshots of the Moto X show the same processor MSM8960DT. The internals shared are very similar to the Droid phones which makes me wonder - how will they be able to keep the price point so low, especially on Verizon?

The Ultra appears to be the Moto X in a different shell and will be 199 on contract and I believe 599 off contract.

August 1st can't come soon enough. Your thoughts?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wait. Did I miss an official MOTO X price?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember too that there is probably going to be price difference between buying direct from Google or from a carrier. Wasn't there a Nexus device that costs out the yang if you bought it from ATT full price? N4?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Remember too that there is probably going to be price difference between buying direct from Google or from a carrier. Wasn't there a Nexus device that costs out the yang if you bought it from ATT full price? N4?

T-Mobile sells the Nexus 4 for $408.00.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait. Did I miss an official MOTO X price?

No, nothing has been official, but based on many different factors, it is pretty well-assumed that it will be sold at a very enticing price point. As you can see, I never actually gave a price in my original post since it hasn't been officially announced.

But I guess we will all find out in a little over a week.

Lanzeelus

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
No someone "leaked" a price that the internet adopted as fact because they liked it...

There has been 0 official anything for the xphone

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

That's a very loose definition of leaked. I haven't seen a single piece of logical evidence supporting the low price point people have etched into their hearts. In fact, I've only seen evidence supporting the exact opposite:

Google's Motorola Unit to Spend Up to $500 Million Marketing 'Moto X' Phone - WSJ.com

The price of the Moto X is expected to be comparable to its competitors, which include Apple Inc.'s [...] iPhone 5, Samsung Electronics Co.'s [...] Galaxy S4, and HTC Corp.'s [...] One, these people said.

Such devices cost $199 with a wireless contract and $599 or more without a contract.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That's a very loose definition of leaked. I haven't seen a single piece of logical evidence supporting the low price point people have etched into their hearts. In fact, I've only seen evidence supporting the exact opposite:

Google's Motorola Unit to Spend Up to $500 Million Marketing 'Moto X' Phone - WSJ.com

Even that link only enabled people that read too far into it. Nowhere in it does it disclose or suggest the Moto X price. It only details the existing pricing for the Samsung Galaxy S IV and HTC One.

Wall Street Journal said:
The price of the Moto X is expected to be comparable to its competitors, which include Apple's iPhone 5, Samsung's Galaxy S4, and HTC's One, these people said.

Such devices cost $199 with a wireless contract and $599 or more without a contract.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, nothing has been official, but based on many different factors, it is pretty well-assumed that it will be sold at a very enticing price point. As you can see, I never actually gave a price in my original post since it hasn't been officially announced.

But I guess we will all find out in a little over a week.

Could you share these different factors?

Lanzeelus

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Even that link only enabled people that read too far into it. Nowhere in it does it disclose or suggest the Moto X price. It only details the existing pricing for the Samsung Galaxy S IV and HTC One.

The important part is the part that says the prices is expected to be comparable to those devices. $99 on contract and $299 off is absolutely NOT comparable pricing. No, there's no exact price, but there's enough info there that would debunk this crazy "Motorola is gonna sell this device at a cost because they can totally afford to do that with their plummeting revenue!" rumor.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When the galaxy nexus came out it sold for $650 off contract but the parts cost, which doesn't cover assembly, r&d, marketing, etc, was around $190. If the US cellphone industry ever went like EU phone would not cost so much off contract.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The important part is the part that says the prices is expected to be comparable to those devices. $99 on contract and $299 off is absolutely NOT comparable pricing. No, there's no exact price, but there's enough info there that would debunk this crazy "Motorola is gonna sell this device at a cost because they can totally afford to do that with their plummeting revenue!" rumor.

Their revenues are plummeting?

2013 Financial Tables

Could you share these different factors?

Sure. Of course, it's all rumors but so far this is the general consensus.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/297428-guy-answering-moto-x-questions-google.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/297859-moto-x-has-features-no-one-has-revealed-yet.html

There's more, if you google it, but that guy was pretty spot on regarding the specs and in the video, they definitely hint towards a great priced phone. I can be entirely wrong along with the whole internet, but if it's the same price as current phones, then I don't see a reason to choose it over the HTC One or S4 (normal or Google Editions). To me, this is why I truly believe it will be aggressively priced.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure. Of course, it's all rumors but so far this is the general consensus.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/297428-guy-answering-moto-x-questions-google.html

For this link, all I had to do was read Jerry's first reply.

Project Roadrunner is awesome.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/297859-moto-x-has-features-no-one-has-revealed-yet.html

There's more, if you google it, but that guy was pretty spot on regarding the specs and in the video, they definitely hint towards a great priced phone. I can be entirely wrong along with the whole internet, but if it's the same price as current phones, then I don't see a reason to choose it over the HTC One or S4 (normal or Google Editions). To me, this is why I truly believe it will be aggressively priced.

All I see are hints that it will be priced "competitively" and people running with the idea that it will be sub-Nexus Google subsidized price.

Posted via Android Central App

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
For this link, all I had to do was read Jerry's first reply. <snip>

Yes, and his reply included this: "As far as any questions he has answered, those are common knowledge among the various "insiders" tipping all the blogs and tech writers."

I'm not saying it's confirmed or 100% certain, but I'm going off what a lot of people in the industry have predicted and those people are a lot more knowledgeable than me and have much more inside information.

Like I said, general consensus.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and his reply included this: "As far as any questions he has answered, those are common knowledge among the various "insiders" tipping all the blogs and tech writers."

I'm not saying it's confirmed or 100% certain, but I'm going off what a lot of people in the industry have predicted and those people are a lot more knowledgeable than me and have much more inside information.

"General consensus" is also we'll be able to pick our processor, and our RAM, and our storage...

All the MOTO X has to do to be priced competitively is be around the $199 on-contract/$599 off-contract price that's typical of phones nowadays. Aggressively? All the MOTO X has to do is be lower than the $199/$599 standard.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I'll add my vote to discredit that guy you posted from Google+. That's Taylor Wimberly formerly from Android and Me. While I admit his sources have been better recently than they have been in the past, his track record is marred by some major click bait that used to frequent that site. There's a famous post he put together when the Galaxy Nexus was all but rumors and it could not have been further from the final product. Just add salt, is all.

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Well in the D11 conference, Dennis Woodside said that Motorola wanted to make devices somewhere in between $30 feature phones and $650 flagship smartphones ("high quality, low-cost"), so if he wasn't talking about the Moto X, then what was he referring to?

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
For this link, all I had to do was read Jerry's first reply.

Project Roadrunner is awesome.

All I see are hints that it will be priced "competitively" and people running with the idea that it will be sub-Nexus Google subsidized price.

Posted via Android Central App

For real. I'm sick of these folks saying "Omg I want top of the line everything for $100 off contact OK plz and thx Google! #YOLO!!!"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My first Aosp ROM with very few mods, so smooth wrong thread guys my bad

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1374643768308.jpg
    1374643768308.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Trending Posts