VZW Folk: Moto X or Droid Ultra??

cwoms167

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The ultra does not have pentile it uses the same screen tech the moto x does I myself will be getting the maxx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a RAZR and from the beginning, I have hated the battery life. Wished I had gotten a RAZR Maxx. This time, I'm getting the Maxx. I also happen to prefer my buttons not be on the screen. I don't care if they are physical or capacitive as long as they are off the screen. I actually have a slight preference for physical buttons as I accidentally press my capacitive buttons during games sometimes. As for the design, I like the look of the Kevlar on the Maxx. My RAZR doesn't even have an HD screen. So, the Maxx will be an improvement (still want to compare it to a One, but I doubt it will sway me). I want 32GB. All that is left is to verify that there will be a vehicle dock. It'd be nice if they incorporated wireless charging and wireless audio into the dock. Then I'd just have to snap it in, but as long as they don't decide to skip it altogether, I'll be happy. I used a generic car mount one time. Never again. I don't care how much it costs, I want a device specific car dock.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Kind of where I am, too, Chip. The orig. Razr clearly had an undersized battery and they freakin' knew it since only three months later, voila, Maxx. And the wouldn't let us trade. B@stards. The only time Moto really ticked me off. So now...I don't know that I trust them. The Ultra and X have only slightly larger batteries than our orig. Razr's...and yet with listening mics and other features, which must be battery burners? So how can they be enough? I've had my Razr 18 months now and the battery is about shot. It wants more juice every 4-6 hours now, even on wifi most of the time. So I'm leaning toward the new Maxx, even tho' it's another .1 inch wider than the already too wide Razr...frustrating to feel like I was lied to about batteries.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The Ultra and X have only slightly larger batteries than our orig. Razr's...and yet with listening mics and other features, which must be battery burners? So how can they be enough?

I'm starting to hear really promising results regarding battery life with the X. One guy who was at the July 11 event has had the phone and he said he hasn't been able to kill it yet in a day. Joanna Stern tweeted yesterday that her X's battery was "still going strong at 42 percent after streaming awesome road trip jams for the last seven hours."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to hear really promising results regarding battery life with the X. One guy who was at the July 11 event has had the phone and he said he hasn't been able to kill it yet in a day. Joanna Stern tweeted yesterday that her X's battery was "still going strong at 42 percent after streaming awesome road trip jams for the last seven hours."

Phil's test phone was easily on track for 21-24 hours yesterday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The ultra does not have pentile it uses the same screen tech the moto x does I myself will be getting the maxx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

One if the blogs was talking **** on the Ultra for being Pen tile. Thanks for clarifying. I'm still going X just because it doesn't have that nasty glossy Kevlar and because its smaller. 4.5-4.7" is perfect to me.

Posted via Android Central App

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll admit that I'm on AT&T and not Verizon, so I can't really choose between any of the actual Droids.

For the Ultra vs X It appears that the choice is either to have a glossy red back, 0.5" more of screen estate (for a sacrifice in form factor), the droid branding, and the additional sharing functions or on the Moto X side to have less color (until Moto Maker arrives), slightly closer to stock android, arguably a better form factor, and a better Touchless Control activation phrase (I'll MUCH rather say OK Google Now rather than OK Moto Magic). Between these two I'd go for the X but there are a few differences that would have some people prefer the Ultra that I see.

That said, I'd be really torn between the Droid Maxx, Moto X, and Droid Mini. My favorite size phone is the Mini (I was seriously debating purchasing the international Razr M but my wife wouldn't allow me), although I assume the LCD screen completely eliminates the inclusion of the Active Display which is a big bummer for me. The Maxx has the 32 Gb of memory, huge battery, and wireless charging which all would just make me determine whether that's worth the extra $100.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For the Ultra vs X It appears that the choice is either to have a glossy red back, 0.5" more of screen estate (for a sacrifice in form factor), the droid branding, and the additional sharing functions or on the Moto X side to have less color (until Moto Maker arrives), slightly closer to stock android, arguably a better form factor, and a better Touchless Control activation phrase (I'll MUCH rather say OK Google Now rather than OK Moto Magic).

It's "Ok Google Now" for both of them. And I'm pretty sure the Android experience is the same on both of them.

The differences are really in the form factors/cosmetics.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering, are these better batteries somehow? Or is the software and hardware more efficient about the use of the batteries? Yeah, when new, my Razr would go well over a day, not quite two days like my old Palms...and until recently, usually could hold out most of a day unless it was on 4g the whole time.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The Droid phones did have the circle widgets that are absent on the Moto X. They showed if you drag two fingers from the circle widget it listed all the other Droid devices nearby and if I remember correctly allowed for some sort of sharing system.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The Droid phones did have the circle widgets that are absent on the Moto X. They showed if you drag two fingers from the circle widget it listed all the other Droid devices nearby and if I remember correctly allowed for some sort of sharing system.

Oh right. The Droid control panel with Droid Zap or whatever.

I could live without that. I'd rather not tell people my phone had a feature called "Droid Zap."

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
@JungleLarry- I didn't look at the Droid Ultra recently but I was just going off the statements I've read recently complaining about the Droids having capacitive buttons.

That's why I stated 0.5" difference, because the Moto X would be 4.7" except the useable estate was about 4.5". If the Ultra has on-screen buttons then the 5" screen would be effectively 4.7 or 4.8".

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
@JungleLarry- I didn't look at the Droid Ultra recently but I was just going off the statements I've read recently complaining about the Droids having capacitive buttons.

That's why I stated 0.5" difference, because the Moto X would be 4.7" except the useable estate was about 4.5". If the Ultra has on-screen buttons then the 5" screen would be effectively 4.7 or 4.8".
My mistake! You are correct.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So if I'm going to keep my unlimited data on vzw and plan on paying retail regardless... Doesn't it just make sense for me to get a developer edition? All I really want is root and free hotspot.
(I have the vzw gnex right now)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone hear anything about the storage size for the developer edition? If it's 32gb I may wait for that, otherwise I'm going with the Maxx even though I like the style/size of the X a lot better

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Im torn. The good thing is I dont need a new phone yet lol..
The maxx battery is the big point for me. But I really love the looks of the moto x. If the both run about the same system w the same features.. I fig I might as well go w the bigger battery. The screen on the maxx is closer to what im used to.. been using a note 2 since january

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Same as you, Russel. Yes, same hardware and software, same features. Only diff is form factor and battery...ugh. I wish Moto hadn't lied to us about the Razr by releasing the Maxx three months later...they knew the Razr battery was too small and then wouldn't allow us to trade up. So is the X battery adequate? Esp. with the new features where it listens all the time for you to talk to it?