My Biggest Issue: You can get competitor phones that will blow the Moto X away....for less $$$

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If you like giant phones, you have any number of good options. If the size of the Moto X phone appeals to you there aren't a ton of high end alternatives in that range

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Seriously. Very few *good* phones in its size category, and even in that category the moto X is probably the best. That category being "not ginormous". (I actually laughed out loud when i saw the size of the Optms G PRO. lol).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The price their asking is the price you pay for being first in line to own this phone. That is reality and these companies charge big bucks for their phones because they know people will pay. Although the specs of this phone are not top of the line compared to others out there they are very good and Moto is relying on their software and the ability to personalize the phone as the main attraction. As with all phones though if you can tie your hands behind your back for 8 to 12 months and not buy this now you will get it for no more than $100 on contract or $250 off contract. I am still using my Droid Bionic which I bought on contract at launch and it still works great. I am waiting for a phone that is just too good to pass up before I give them my hard earned dollars and I don't think this phone is it.

If you are patient and keep your eyes peeled , phones do go on sale. I got my Rezound within two weeks of release for $50 on contract. In February, the Verizon Note II was $50 on contract. A few months ago, the DNA was free ln contract and potential $50 money maker as well.

The s4 was as low as $20 on contract after gc a few months ago.

The 8x no contract was $225.

I am sure there were plenty of other deals, I just named a couple.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So Moto wants us to pay full price for a mid range phone? This device is going to flop so hard , just like the HTC one. No matter how much phil and the gang hypes it up. I wasn't disappointing until I saw the price and when I did , I could stop laughing.

Lol how was the HTC a flop ????? 80% of the gadget sites say it's the smartphone of the year so far and the people back that up as well. Just cause it didn't spend 100 million dollars on advertising like Samsung and didn't sell 10 million devices doesn't consider it a flop sooooo wtf are u talking about

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol how was the HTC a flop ????? 80% of the gadget sites say it's the smartphone of the year so far and the people back that up as well. Just cause it didn't spend 100 million dollars on advertising like Samsung and didn't sell 10 million devices doesn't consider it a flop sooooo wtf are u talking about

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Rumor has it that moto will spend half a billion dollars on advertising the X.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Several companies as of late have tried to defend the idea of the low-spec flagship. Nokia Lumias do it. BlackBerry does it. Now Motorola is doing it. The primary difference now is that Motorola has deep advertising pockets and has given away a bunch of phones to friendly/hack journalists to build momentum for the underwhelming X.

The hack propaganda in smartphones has all the same tricks. Step 1: pick a meaningless contest that your second-rate product can win. The Motorola X proponents have shown it in a pointless browser test with the GS4 and in a single, near-tie game loading duel with the HTC One. This nonsense has to be another brain child from the people who brought us the "Smoked by a Lumia" campaign. Pathetic.

Step 2 of this hack protocol is to argue that weaknesses are strengths, or at least that they don't matter. Lack Boom Sound? Focus on compact size. Lack a good camera? Focus on voice activation. Lack carrier support? Focus on how much everybody really wants to sign up with AT&T to be the first to buy this turkey.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Several companies as of late have tried to defend the idea of the low-spec flagship. Nokia Lumias do it. BlackBerry does it. Now Motorola is doing it. The primary difference now is that Motorola has deep advertising pockets and has given away a bunch of phones to friendly/hack journalists to build momentum for the underwhelming X.

The hack propaganda in smartphones has all the same tricks. Step 1: pick a meaningless contest that your second-rate product can win. The Motorola X proponents have shown it in a pointless browser test with the GS4 and in a single, near-tie game loading duel with the HTC One. This nonsense has to be another brain child from the people who brought us the "Smoked by a Lumia" campaign. Pathetic.

Step 2 of this hack protocol is to argue that weaknesses are strengths, or at least that they don't matter. Lack Boom Sound? Focus on compact size. Lack a good camera? Focus on voice activation. Lack carrier support? Focus on how much everybody really wants to sign up with AT&T to be the first to buy this turkey.

I'm sorry, but the graphical and browser benchmarks are actually the most representative sort for real world performance.
The average user primarily cares about the smoothness of operation, which is why the iPhone has always has so much buzz about it. On mobile devices this is primarily determined by the GPU and rendering ability. The Moto X and it's Adreno 320 and 720p screen is showing that it will most likely be one of the top dogs in this contest.

Also you rag them on their camera when right now we know very little of its actual quality. So far the only substantial review i have seen of the camera has been from CNet where the person was very impressed with the cameras initial performances.

I also definitely feel that the Touchless Control and Active Display bring much more to the table than any of the gesture controls Samsung attempted or Blinkfeeds standard news and social aggregation that is Blinkfeed.
I think that normal users will see the developments that Motorola has achieved as one of the most revolutionary innovations in the mobile industry since a long time.

It really seems that you are just grasping at straws to be able to hate this device based on a few worthless numbers typed up on a spec sheet.

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the graphical and browser benchmarks are actually the most representative sort for real world performance.
The average user primarily cares about the smoothness of operation, which is why the iPhone has always has so much buzz about it. On mobile devices this is primarily determined by the GPU and rendering ability. The Moto X and it's Adreno 320 and 720p screen is showing that it will most likely be one of the top dogs in this contest.

Also you rag them on their camera when right now we know very little of its actual quality. So far the only substantial review i have seen of the camera has been from CNet where the person was very impressed with the cameras initial performances.

I also definitely feel that the Touchless Control and Active Display bring much more to the table than any of the gesture controls Samsung attempted or Blinkfeeds standard news and social aggregation that is Blinkfeed.
I think that normal users will see the developments that Motorola has achieved as one of the most revolutionary innovations in the mobile industry since a long time.

It really seems that you are just grasping at straws to be able to hate this device based on a few worthless numbers typed up on a spec sheet.

Thanks for the reply. First, the only contest that the 720p screen could win in smartphone competition is in the mid grade space, but the X's customers are paying high grade prices. And the X's Adreno 320 doesn't improve its profile at all in comparison to the current top dogs. But why would I want to see rendering on a 720p screen when I could see it on a 1080 one for the same price? Uhm, voice activation?

And who claims that some game loading duel is the gold standard for device smoothness and real world performance? Get real. This sort of over-extrapolation of one-off events is precisely why this "Smoked by a Lumia" type of advertising works on the vulnerable. This was actually the point of my post, which was apparently missed.

The camera performance of the X is, in my opinion, the easiest to judge, has several examples online, and is obvious in the truest sense of the word "obvious." Look for yourself. I would agree with those who call the camera performance poor, though I acknowledge those who find it passable. We can likely agree that our standards and expectations clearly differ. As to why CNET journalists would voice positive opinions of products they hope to advertise, I'll take a bet on your common sense to figure that out.

I consider your last statements about Motorola's "revolutionary innovations" to be overly generous. Voice activation as revolutionary? Have it your way.

I'm not Anti-MotoX, though. I can have any of these phones and I'm always looking for the very, very best. I was simply hoping for a bit more from Motorola. I'm glad you're pleased with their offering. No hard feelings. Enjoy your X.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
But why would I want to see rendering on a 720p screen when I could see it on a 1080 one for the same price?

Um, improved battery life?

The camera performance of the X is, in my opinion, the easiest to judge, has several examples online, and is obvious in the truest sense of the word "obvious." Look for yourself. I would agree with those who call the camera performance poor, though I acknowledge those who find it passable.

Better than my Galaxy Nexus is really all I want.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
@Eyesopen- There are at least two reasons why the 720p screen was a better choice than the 1080p screens of the other "high-end" devices. For one thing, the 1080p screens have 2.25 times more pixels than the 720p ones. This means that there are 2.25 times more pixels draining energy to produce the same pictures, and 2.25 times more pixels that the GPU must render at speed to prevent lag from being displayed. This means that it is very possible for the 720p screen to provide a much better user experience over the "better screen", when you factor in the fact that the difference between the two displays is virtually impossible to determine by the human eye makes it a big waste for a consumer device.

I also wasn't trying to refer to the game loading video, although it is interesting. I think the much more telling tests are actually the graphical and browser benchmarks. These all show the Moto X being superior to the other "high-end" phones. I just await actually seeing how this performs in real-life.

Yes, there had been many images taken by the cameras during the event, but I would prefer to wait for much more scientific and rigorous testing occurs with little variability between the actual shots can provide some concrete evidence about he camera qualities.

The voice activation is indeed much more revolutionary because this is the first consumer device that has actually been able to implement any technology to allow for it to be truly hands-free without being a complete power drain. This is finally beginning to fulfill all the geek fantasies that so many people have had from watching Star Trek.

Samsung's gestures allow you to read a webpage with dirty hands, while the Moto X finally allows you to actually use your phone completely hands-free.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, because people never browse the internet or open apps on their phones, so what's the point in comparison....right? RIGHT?

Please provide a "one-off event" that favors your HTC One so we don't have to listen to you complain anymore.

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
@Eyesopen- There are at least two reasons why the 720p screen was a better choice than the 1080p screens of the other "high-end" devices. For one thing, the 1080p screens have 2.25 times more pixels than the 720p ones. This means that there are 2.25 times more pixels draining energy to produce the same pictures, and 2.25 times more pixels that the GPU must render at speed to prevent lag from being displayed. This means that it is very possible for the 720p screen to provide a much better user experience over the "better screen", when you factor in the fact that the difference between the two displays is virtually impossible to determine by the human eye makes it a big waste for a consumer device.

I also wasn't trying to refer to the game loading video, although it is interesting. I think the much more telling tests are actually the graphical and browser benchmarks. These all show the Moto X being superior to the other "high-end" phones. I just await actually seeing how this performs in real-life.

Yes, there had been many images taken by the cameras during the event, but I would prefer to wait for much more scientific and rigorous testing occurs with little variability between the actual shots can provide some concrete evidence about he camera qualities.

The voice activation is indeed much more revolutionary because this is the first consumer device that has actually been able to implement any technology to allow for it to be truly hands-free without being a complete power drain. This is finally beginning to fulfill all the geek fantasies that so many people have had from watching Star Trek.

Samsung's gestures allow you to read a webpage with dirty hands, while the Moto X finally allows you to actually use your phone completely hands-free.

Okay, I understand that you guys are a little more sensitive to conserving battery life and are willing to sacrifice screen resolution in service to this aim. I've got really good battery life on my One (entire day, medium to heavy use), so maybe you could give the 1080p screens a second look. In full disclosure, I do charge over night and I have custom firmware, ROM, kernel, etc. That said, stock HTCs are also performing about the same full day level or even longer, as my custom kernel has more features.

I haven't heard anyone claim that the image quality of the 720p and 1080p screens are of equivalent quality. You won't likely see pixels in either, but to most, the overall quality of image is noticeably different. But I agree that a 720p screen is not suffering and is more than enough for most cases.

I'm not that big a camera guy, but I can hold final judgment until more thorough testing is available. We'll see.

The always-on listening is an interesting feature. Only issues are actual battery drain (fingers crossed) and the creepy factor of misuse or abuse by hackers, advertisers, or the NSA of a phone that's always listening. Luckily, I have little to hide and little creeps me out.

You guys are improving my understanding of X's appeal. I'm not sold on it yet (the only 720p phone I'm currently considering is the Ubuntu Edge, which I've donated to, if it gets funded), but the more new technologies that come to market, the better for everyone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie