My Biggest Issue: You can get competitor phones that will blow the Moto X away....for less $$$

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For instance, take the LG Optimus G Pro. You get
- 1.7ghz Snapdragon 600 processor
- 2gb Ram, 32gb storage, 5.5 inch display
- 13MP rear-facing camera and 2.1MP front camera
- 3140mah battery, wireless charging
- IR Remote Control
- SD-Card slot.

These are better specs than the HTC One, and pretty much on par with the Galaxy S4.

All for $439......OFF CONTRACT. From At&t. :O

d2013105161220516d07e430eea.jpg

With phones like this on the market, there is no reason the Moto X should cost more than $400 off contract - hell, $350 is even pushing it. Yes, the Moto X comes with lots of nice software optimization features, but software and programming costs next to nothing to develop (expecially when Google is at the helm).

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That really is an awesome phone, but being available on only one carrier is a huge drawback. The Moto X's closest competition is either the Droid Ultra/Droid Maxx or the HTC One and it's a pretty close fight, depending on your priorities, on all 4 devices. Incidentally, all 4 devices are fairly similarly priced.

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That really is an awesome phone, but being available on only one carrier is a huge drawback. The Moto X's closest competition is either the Droid Ultra/Droid Maxx or the HTC One and it's a pretty close fight, depending on your priorities, on all 4 devices. Incidentally, all 4 devices are fairly similarly priced.

I will agree with you on that front - carrier exclusives SUCK. However, the OGP can be bought outright and used on the T-Mobile network.

On the price artgument - we have become so conditioned by these overinflated prices that we think it's acceptable for a phone to cost 600+ dollars. The problem I see with that is that there is an incredible amount of profit padding built into that price point. Take the 32gb Galaxy S4 for instance: It costs Samsung roughly $237 to produce the device (hardware and assembly). The phone retails for $695. That's a $458 dollar difference. Samsung can demand that price due to market demand, not cost of the hardware.

I worry that Moto is shooting itself in the foot over the X. The hype for this phone has been generated almost solely by the Android community - the overall impression I am getting is that Moto has screwed us again by over-pricing the phone, sticking to carrier exclusives at launch, and not allowing enthusiasts to purchase an unlocked phone directly from Moto. I know some of these issues will be fixed with the Google Play Edition, but who knows when that is going to happen. The Android/enthusiast community should have, at the very least, gotten a little more consideration from Moto.

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I will agree with you on that front - carrier exclusives SUCK. However, the OGP can be bought outright and used on the T-Mobile network.

On the price artgument - we have become so conditioned by these overinflated prices that we think it's acceptable for a phone to cost 600+ dollars. The problem I see with that is that there is an incredible amount of profit padding built into that price point. Take the 32gb Galaxy S4 for instance: It costs Samsung roughly $237 to produce the device (hardware and assembly). The phone retails for $695. That's a $458 dollar difference. Samsung can demand that price due to market demand, not cost of the hardware.

I worry that Moto is shooting itself in the foot over the X. The hype for this phone has been generated almost solely by the Android community - the overall impression I am getting is that Moto has screwed us again by over-pricing the phone, sticking to carrier exclusives at launch, and not allowing enthusiasts to purchase an unlocked phone directly from Moto. I know some of these issues will be fixed with the Google Play Edition, but who knows when that is going to happen. The Android/enthusiast community should have, at the very least, gotten a little more consideration from Moto.

And the tech world is a fast moving one. By the time Moto solves all the issues, the buzz will have died down and it will be forgotten. The LG optimus G2 is scheduled for release in two weeks, the cheaper iPhone is on the horizon and the nexus 5 is already being rumoured. I do not envy motorola's position

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The price their asking is the price you pay for being first in line to own this phone. That is reality and these companies charge big bucks for their phones because they know people will pay. Although the specs of this phone are not top of the line compared to others out there they are very good and Moto is relying on their software and the ability to personalize the phone as the main attraction. As with all phones though if you can tie your hands behind your back for 8 to 12 months and not buy this now you will get it for no more than $100 on contract or $250 off contract. I am still using my Droid Bionic which I bought on contract at launch and it still works great. I am waiting for a phone that is just too good to pass up before I give them my hard earned dollars and I don't think this phone is it.

rico college

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So Moto wants us to pay full price for a mid range phone? This device is going to flop so hard , just like the HTC one. No matter how much phil and the gang hypes it up. I wasn't disappointing until I saw the price and when I did , I could stop laughing.

jay flores

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Specs isn't everything, and better specs on paper doesn't translate into making a phone better than next one. People are getting caught up by the numbers....720p, 1080p, quad-core, octa-core, etc etc. What is becoming a common "need" for everyday usage out of our phones? Battery life! Yeah you can increase the battery size and all, but increase screen real estate and resolution on top of increasing power of the chips is cancelling it out. A device that fits your hands, a resolution of 1080 is ridiculous and the human eye can't decipher the pixels. Good example of this Apple and it's iphone.....every Android phone is always compared to the iphone. Apple does a great job in fine tuning and optimizing their screen color reproduction so it's a "natural" look. And as far as having the latest and greatest chip, not going to talk about it because nothing out are talking full advantage of all 4 cpu chips.

So to say competitors will blow the Moto X away for less money is false. If we go by benchmark numbers, which everyone does, these "high-end" phones with a quad-core and 1080p screens are barely registering over 20k on AnTuTu (SGS4, One, G Pro). The Xperia Z is at or slightly under 20k. The Moto X...with its so-called "midrange" specs of a 720p screen and a dual-core is around 18-19k. How about benchmarks for GPU? Moto X shares the ssame Adreno 320 to its competitors and wins out. So it the X mid-range or high-end? IMO it sits in between...but closer to high-end than at mid-range. I think it was a let down for people because of the pricing. But if many of you recall, Google repeatedly said they weren't going to give Motorola any special treatment. I feel they overlooked the development, but it was all Motorola in handling the business side with carriers. I expected the X to go for $99 on-contract....but if you're with AT&T, you can do the trade-in program and get the X for under $100 or free!

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have bought last month the Galaxy Note 8 LTE for a tablet. To me it runs just as well if not better than my Galaxy S4(because it has less touchwiz gimmicks most likely). The quad core CPU in the Note 8 benchmarks half as the score as the S4. Yet as I stated this Tablet runs just as smooth if not better than my phone which has double the score.

It is all relative and with the battery life being reported as well as the always on listening features, I don't see this phone being as bad because it has a dual core processor.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If you like giant phones, you have any number of good options. If the size of the Moto X phone appeals to you there aren't a ton of high end alternatives in that range

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I can wait.
My Droid Razr HD off contract and in the box was $340. Teh phone came out in Oct. and I bought mine in Jan.
So I had to wait 3 months for it to drop to an acceptable price point.

The point is, you pay to be first in line. Motorola will realize, just what others have.
After the hype dies down and the fanatics go away, you now have to sell to the rest of the public.

The GS4 is BOGO on Sprint. There are plenty of options.
I'll be shopping Swappa to get my HTC One in a few months. Someone will have one for sale on Verizon 3 months after release.
You can count on it.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you like giant phones, you have any number of good options. If the size of the Moto X phone appeals to you there aren't a ton of high end alternatives in that range

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thank God someone is capable of understanding this very basic concept.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I am not going to bash them I own the htc one and gs4 and i plan on getting the moto its about how you use the hardware and implement the software this spec war is getting old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The specs of the iPhone 5 are a joke to almost every Android out now, yet it still sells millions for $199.
There's a comparison between the iPhone 5 and the HTC one mini in YouTube, and they were at par. I was cracking up.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The specs of the iPhone 5 are a joke to almost every Android out now, yet it still sells millions for $199.
There's a comparison between the iPhone 5 and the HTC one mini in YouTube, and they were at par. I was cracking up.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Not on Apple's website but the iPhone 5 has had constant promotions for the last few months now. I have seen it usually between 99-129. I paid 199 for my iPhones because traditionally I buy it on the release date. Then it was around 159 for the holidays.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SPH-L710

I think people are starting to not care so much about specs anymore, because it does not guarantee great performance. Android's reputation for lagging and stuttering on devices with specs or causing the hardware to age prematurely in performance (1st gen Nexus 7, for example) doesn't help push that, either... ...

That being said, the SoC and GPU in the iPhone 5 is quite competitive, and even the iPhone 4S' SoC/GPU is still a great performer today... Any CPU/GPU that can run the Retina iPads has to be good, otherwise there will be bottlenecks (especially in graphics).

Apple has great quality screens. Only point of contention there is the screen size. Camera quality goes without saying...

There really isn't much to complain about IRT specs, except lack of NFC which is very much still a gimmick - at least in the US. AirDrop will one up Android Beam, for example...

Also, it's not like they're always behind the curve, Apple had BT4 before any Android Manufacturers, for example. Additionally, it was the iPhone 4's (back then) great camera which really forced Android OEMs to give a ton of attention to that spec on their device - just as their Retina screens forced Android manufacturers to finally move beyond WVGA resolutions. I think the 3GS had a HVGA screen, so Apple completely skipped WVGA and QHD and went straight to their 960*640 resolution Retina Screens.

There is very little benefit to putting anything above 720p on a 4.3-5" screen, IMO.

The value of an iOS device is very much in the ecosystem, not the hardware. That is why lots of people have no issues buying an iPhone 4, on contract 3 years after release, but will shutter at the thought of buying i.e. a Captivate or Vibrant which was released around similar time frame.

Right now if I wanted to get a decent phone that wasn't necessarily latest and greatest, I'd get the GS3. It's the best bang for your buck right now. $49 on contract at Verizon, hardware is still good, decent battery and storage options, and the screen is fine enough. The camera is still good (0 Shutter, HDR, Burst, 1080p recording, etc.

TBH, I have a hard time explaining to myself why anyone would buy the bloat-laden GS4 over the 3, other than "it's newer." That upgrade is, IMO, much less justifiable than going from a 4 to 4S or 4S to 5 (iPhone).

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So get one of those. Otherwise, I'm not sure I get it. Is someone forcing you to get a Moto X?

The point is, if other OEMs can afford to release a higher quality device at a much lower price point, it adds to the mountain of evidence that Motorola is outpricing itself with such plebeian hardware.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The point is, if other OEMs can afford to release a higher quality device at a much lower price point, it adds to the mountain of evidence that Motorola is outpricing itself with such plebeian hardware.

But they werent released at a lower priced point they were release at the same. The only argument that can be made on quality is the screen. You can argue dual versus quad core processor but Motorola has two additional processors for other functions. Ram is the same. Based on their statments battery life is better on the X. Benchmarks (Who knows if they cheated yet lol) shows in gaming the X is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Wait. You realize that LG has only one microprocessor? That's pitiful, when the Moto X has three microprocessors ...

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So Moto wants us to pay full price for a mid range phone? This device is going to flop so hard , just like the HTC one. No matter how much phil and the gang hypes it up. I wasn't disappointing until I saw the price and when I did , I could stop laughing.

The HTC ONE flopped?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app