The Real Reason Google's Moto X Is Being Assembled In The US

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this posted over at Forbes. Very interesting take on the legalities of assembling here in the US. Like the author, I believe the customization necessitates US assembly, but I wonder which decision was made first. Clearly they could have seen they needed to assemble here and then said, "Well if we are going to assemble in the US, what can we do differently?"

Just reinforces, nothing is ever exactly what it seems.

Also, I wonder how this affects the new Droids. Seems like they would be at the same risk of the Moto X since there is nigh a difference.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this posted over at Forbes. Very interesting take on the legalities of assembling here in the US. Like the author, I believe the customization necessitates US assembly, but I wonder which decision was made first. Clearly they could have seen they needed to assemble here and then said, "Well if we are going to assemble in the US, what can we do differently?"

Also, I wonder how this affects the new Droids. Seems like they would be at the same risk of the Moto X since there is nigh a difference.

Hmm. Seems legit.

Posted via Android Central App

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

If I am reading the issue correctly, Google wants to avoid an import ban ordered by the ITC imposed on the Moto X and then maybe they can also avoid the $15 per device royalty fee paid to Microsoft? I wonder if Google is positioning themselves to enforce patents and import bans of their own in the future.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Interesting perspective. Since I'm not an Attorney or legal analyst specializing in patents I won't know if there are any other legal approaches that can be taken in lieu of a ban and what has already been proposed in the article. Nevertheless, good read and thanks for posting it here for all to see.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt this is the case. I think that if Florian was correct in this being their reasoning that the Droids would have been given a bigger push to also be assembled in the US.

Florian is saying that Google is scared of getting import bans from Microsoft... but I really don't know why Microsoft would suddenly start seeking import bans when there has been no indication in any mobile device history of that being Microsofts modus operandi.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt this is the case. I think that if Florian was correct in this being their reasoning that the Droids would have been given a bigger push to also be assembled in the US.

Florian is saying that Google is scared of getting import bans from Microsoft... but I really don't know why Microsoft would suddenly start seeking import bans when there has been no indication in any mobile device history of that being Microsofts modus operandi.

Florian is so full of BS and anti google that he may as well have a column on apple insider. Take anything he says with a large shaker of salt.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Pssh, who cares about Microsoft? Let them go patent troll some other company.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If this is true I think its very clever play by Moto/Google!! Like it.

but, that's not the only thing!!! customization means that Moto has to do something and cannot let its customer wait for weeks to get the phone.
assembling in US means delivery will be faster.

Last edited:

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know what patents samsung has to pay microsoft for and is it only samsung or any other company as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know what patents samsung has to pay microsoft for and is it only samsung or any other company as well.
Looks like all the majors do. They don't say what the patents are specifically other than android and chrome os used technology covered under MS's patent portfolio.
Microsoft’s Android licensing agreements could earn it $8.8B by 2017 | BGR
ZTE deal to pay Microsoft Android royalties leaves Motorola exposed | Technology | theguardian.com
Microsoft could generate $8.8 billion annually from Android royalties by 2017
ZTE joins Sony, Samsung, and LG, signs deal with Microsoft to pay Android royalties | Digital Trends
According to this 2012 article, ironically, Motorola is one of the holdouts. Maybe this was before Google bought Motorola.
LG and Microsoft sign patent agreement over Android and Chrome OS | BGR

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

There is a list on Microsoft's website of the manufacturers who are paying but not exactly what they are for.

Here is a picture attached of the litigation list that Microsoft use to have against Barnes and Noble for using Android Tablets. This doesn't include paying any royalties for Exchange Support, which I am not sure if the BN tablet at the time has or they have to worry about.

That is an old file and MS has settle with BN.

Attachments

• microsoft_patents.jpg
    microsoft_patents.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 82

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is a list on Microsoft's website of the manufacturers who are paying but not exactly what they are for.

Here is a picture attached of the litigation list that Microsoft use to have against Barnes and Noble for using Android Tablets. This doesn't include paying any royalties for Exchange Support, which I am not sure if the BN tablet at the time has or they have to worry about.

That is an old file and MS has settle with BN.

And look how absurd those are. Obviously they're more complicated than the titles, but a loading icon in a browser?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
And look how absurd those are. Obviously they're more complicated than the titles, but a loading icon in a browser?

No they aren't unfortunately. They are really what they say they are.

Here is a link to the actual loading icon patent.

Patent US6339780 - Loading status in a hypermedia browser having a limited available display area - Google Patents

If you look there is no mention of programming or anything of the sort. It is just a concept.

And this is why many people think the United States needs real patent reform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non