Locked bootloader means no root?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If things haven't changed from my Droid X days, then a locked bootloader will not prevent you from rooting the phone. I rooted my Droid X and installed ROMs on it. A locked bootloader will prevent you from installing a custom kernel, though. Development will also likely be limited because of the locked bootloader.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It means that they won't directly provide the tools to unlock it. With the expected popularity of this device, I'd expect someone to have an unlock and root method on the release date.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That being said, the main hero Dev for moto droids previously has stated that he's done with their devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There have been workarounds for root without unlocking in the past. This however does not mean that there will be one for this phone.

There have also been phones with locked bootloader that have been able to be unlocked by they dev community through various means. This however can take months if it ever happens at all. I don't know how different this chip set is and if any of those differences will make it harder to work with than other phones.

Long story short, nothing is guaranteed. If it comes with no way to unlock and that is important to you, you probably need to look at another phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37