MotoMaker AT&T exclusive till November

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely HATE exclusitivity deals. That being said I do think this one is for scalelability. I think serving all carriers from the start might overwhelm them. It doesn't mean I like it. But I do understand it.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You were doing good right up until you said it is a mid-range device. All performance reviews so far say otherwise.

It looks like a nice device but I still can't see it being selected over the S4/LG G2/ONE not to mention the up and coming Note 3 and ONE MAX. If I am a casual consumer looking at live demo phones at the AT&T store, I am looking for sharp displays and overall looks of the phones and I don't see the X competing in that regard. I love the way it looks and would probably choose it over any mentioned except the ONE. I hope I am completely wrong and I hope this phone sells but I just can't see it happening.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
People walk into Best Buy looking for a TV and are immediately drawn to the brightest panels on the wall, which is just a terrible way of going about the process.

I think the same will be true for the phones you mentioned, in which case the Moto X does seem to crawl in at a disadvantage. But there's a reason why Motorola designed the display the way they did, and it's up to their marketing team and salespeople to properly communicate the value of utility.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I still can't see it being selected over the S4/LG G2/ONE not to mention the up and coming Note 3 and ONE MAX.

Size. Remember how important size is to many people. I've seen people look at S4s and get turned off after 5 seconds because they don't want such a huge phone. And the Note? Many general consumers take one look and think it's completely ridiculous. Again, I've seen it happen.

Hell, I think the S4 is too big. Anything bigger than my Galaxy Nexus starts to feel really awkward.

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think what's missing from the discussion is what the competitive landscape will look like in November. Not just the excellent phones that have already been announced, but the Nexus 5 will be a huge factor. That, to me, will be the biggest threat to the field, including the MotoX.

Frankly, even if the customized MotoX were available on T-Mobile (my carrier of choice) today, I still wouldn't choose it over the One, even if they cost the same price.

A year ago, I would have been drooling for the MotoX, so my opinion that it may be outplayed by several competitors is more a comment on the the incredible achievements of the industry contestants.

My next upgrade is coming up, and too many great phones to choose from is a wonderful problem to have.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Look at the dates.

Sorry, I've just been wasting your time. Some people say things and I like to see where they get their information. The data you're looking for is on page 28 of Google's most recent 10-Q and page 89 of their 10-K.

Some interesting snippets as they pertain to your perspective of the company:

"Subsequent to our acquisition of Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (Motorola) in May 2012, we initiated a restructuring plan for Motorola, primarily our Motorola Mobile segment, to reduce workforce, reorganize management structure, close or consolidate certain facilities, as well as simplify our mobile product portfolio. These changes are designed to return the Motorola Mobile segment to profitability."

And a lot of that restructuring revolved around trimming costs....

" Our full-time employee headcount was 54,604 (including 15,149 headcount from Motorola Mobile and 5,144 from Motorola Home) at June 30, 2012 , and 44,777 (which includes 4,599 headcount from Motorola Mobile) at June 30, 2013"

Motorola Mobility is not being run the same as it was before it was acquired by Google. I think that's plenty obvious.

Different people have different views and insights and I don't think its a waste of time to discuss those views and insights if its a subject we're both interested in.
Do I think Moto is being run differently than it has in the past? Absolutely! Unfortunately they're a hardware company being run by Google who is very inexperienced in running a hardware company and I think that inexperience is showing and is going to hurt. I hope I'm wrong. I've always been a Moto guy and I would love to see them on top of the smartphone world, but when this is what I see from Googorola's first effort, it has me worried. I think the exclusivity is a huge mistake. And if you look around the web, website after website after website; blogger after blogger after blogger; and commenter after commenter after commenter agree. And its not just the tech sites but mainstream site as well.
Only time will tell, I just don't think time is on Moto's side.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Not just the excellent phones that have already been announced, but the Nexus 5 will be a huge factor.

Not to a large portion of the market. Not if, like the Nexus 4, it is only available through the Play store or T-Mobile. I'm sure it will draw a part of the tech crowd, but unless it's widely available, it's not going to be much of a factor.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the customization exclusivity, has anyone considered that this may actually be the preferred route by Motorola in order to account for scalable capability? In other words, start with one carrier, iron out the wrinkles, validate the predicted volumes, THEN open it up to additional carriers when you know you've got things like this working correctly? No one else has attempted this kind of thing before so I totally give them slack in rolling this capability out in phases. And considering that Verizon is "the biggest" by customer volume and that they are rolling out the Droid line in synch with the X, as well as AT&T's propensity to pony up some bucks to get exclusive deals (e.g. S4 Active, red S4, etc.), then things really start to make sense, IMO.

+1
Google loves to learn in the market place, and this is how to do it. They are getting an earlier start testing with their "Friends and Family" program, move to a single carrier, then wide launch. Wish I had a friend at Moto . . .

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not to a large portion of the market. Not if, like the Nexus 4, it is only available through the Play store or T-Mobile. I'm sure it will draw a part of the tech crowd, but unless it's widely available, it's not going to be much of a factor.

Let's hope Google has learned from earlier lessons, especially a bit more about demand forecasting! But I was really writing about my own beloved enthusiast segment, who would be obsessively attracted to the Nexus 5 if it delivers a crazy cool smartphone offering like I think it might.

Speaking of next-level smartphone offerings, the Ubuntu Edge just got re-priced down to $695 this morning! So, go sign up to buy one now because availability post fundraising campaign is very uncertain, and the price now fits a more normal budget. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/x/4109385

Plus, to those who felt my MotoX - skeptical comments irritating, the Edge is the best chance of my ending up with a 720p device, which may just cause my eyes to explode, though MotoX fans swear I'll be fine. :)

Ubuntu Edge, with an OS dual booting Android and Ubuntu, a sapphire-protected display, 4 gigs of RAM, 128 gigs of storage, etc, you'll be happy as can be and you can keep your MotoX as a fun phone!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Size. Remember how important size is to many people. I've seen people look at S4s and get turned off after 5 seconds because they don't want such a huge phone. And the Note? Many general consumers take one look and think it's completely ridiculous. Again, I've seen it happen.

Hell, I think the S4 is too big. Anything bigger than my Galaxy Nexus starts to feel really awkward.

This. I've been waiting for a decent quality phone that fits in my hand since the Era of 5-Inch Phones began. Even my Galaxy Nexus is a little too big for my taste. Personally I can care less if my phone has 2 cores or 10 cores. As long as it works pretty well, has a battery that lasts longer than 8 hours with normal use, and fits in my hand comfortably I'm happy. I was even strongly debating jumping to the iPhone 5S for awhile, but the X might meet what I need.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Too many people to quote so I will post it all right here.

1st:
Somebody mention iPhone sales(United States only on below).
The iPhone has been the top selling phone on the Big 3 Carriers. The iPhone has a very high retention rate versus all the other manufacturers(94 percent 2012).
There is a good chance that the people who buy a iPhone in November, December have an iPhone already so the Moto X probably wouldn't have been a consideration in the first place.

2nd:
I don't know what ATT does but they have been getting constant exclusivity deals(even short term). Verizon got the S4 one month after ATT and that date was pushed up by Verizon. HTC One coming soon after 4-5 months.
I remember when I use to be with Verizon for so many years it was a common theme. Great Network, worst phones or last to the party.

3rd:
When you think about Google owning Motorola, remember the most important thing.
They didn't do it for the phone company.
They did it for the patents.
The phone company was a like a bonus prize.

And as discovered and reported, they overvalued the patents greatly with some of their wins with Microsoft(Moto wanted a few billion dollars for royalties and got a 2 million dollar judgement against MS).

4th:
Sometimes I wonder if the problem with all this is not the fact that Google isn't a hardware company or they failed at the Nexus Q. Their Nexus phones and tablets are great and those are done in collaboration with other manufacturers.

The problem might be that Google needed more time and this is beta test phase 1. They shelved an 18 month product pipeline for this and I do like a lot of the results.
At the same time they maybe weak at predicting how to manufacturing process and how they created a unique scenario by having this assembled in America.

Google might have been off more than they chew in order to get a Motorola phone out quickly after all the product revamping.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Somebody mention iPhone sales(United States only on below).
The iPhone has been the top selling phone on the Big 3 Carriers. The iPhone has a very high retention rate versus all the other manufacturers(94 percent 2012).
There is a good chance that the people who buy a iPhone in November, December have an iPhone already so the Moto X probably wouldn't have been a consideration in the first place.

This, IMO, is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody else was discussing. Everyone seems to only considering the marketplace in terms of Android devices but if anything, the Moto X seems to be the type of device targeting, shall we say, the 'less tech savvy' general consumer and I'd argue the prime target of the iPhone. Waiting until November to open up the customization to everyone is putting the Moto X right in the middle of the huge holiday sales period immediately after the iPhone release. And if rumors are true, there's going to be a whole bunch of color options on the 'iPhone 5C'. This, coupled with the total absence of any international release, it what I think is going to doom the Moto X. I certainly hope I'm wrong because I like the device--just think Motorola is royally f%$#ing up the launch/release.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with the timing. Maybe by that time, the unlocked price for the 32GB version will come down too so I can use it for T-Mobile.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm shocked at how many MBA's find the time to post on Android Central. I also remember when the iPhone was going to be a flop because it was only on AT&T. I think Apple did ok with it. One thing is for sure, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and everyone else needs to get their butts online and read the opinions of pimple faced teens living in their parent's basements because obviously none of them are cutting it and EVERY phone is a "flopped" failure to launch. :-X

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked at how many MBA's find the time to post on Android Central. I also remember when the iPhone was going to be a flop because it was only on AT&T. I think Apple did ok with it. One thing is for sure, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and everyone else needs to get their butts online and read the opinions of pimple faced teens living in their parent's basements because obviously none of them are cutting it and EVERY phone is a "flopped" failure to launch. :-X

Do you think Apple would be doing okay with the iPhone if it were STILL on just one carrier?

As for the MBA comment, I am shocked at how many with actual MBA's mismanage companies. An MBA is no guarantee of success or skill.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you think Apple would be doing okay with the iPhone if it were STILL on just one carrier?

As for the MBA comment, I am shocked at how many with actual MBA's mismanage companies. An MBA is no guarantee of success or skill.
I don't pretend to know the in's and out's of Apple's (or any other company's) plans or business strategies...... unlike all of the aforementioned MBA's posting in this thread.

Oooooh, see what I did there? ;)