How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This entire "justify the price" mentality? I don't get it.

I looked at the S4 and could not come to the conclusion that I would use any of its so-called features. Among the people I know with one, none of them used any of the gimmicks after the first day or two when they got tired of showing it to their friends.

When I look at the last generation or two of phones, I see a hardware race that does not transfer to the real world. Touchwiz and such suck up resources, they get laggy, the battery life is always a major complaint, etc., but the actual phone does just what it did last year. The innovation that I liked best was the front mounted speakers on the HTC One. To me that was a useful feature as well as was the camera light sensor which probably needs to be improved from some of the outdoor shots I saw. On the other hand, it was getting a bit bulky in size even tho' I love big, good screens.

The X caught my intention because Motorola tried to address the battery life issue intelligently by optimizing performance thru dedicated processors to handle low level loads rather than firing the entire processing system up to look if you have a message, mail, whatever.

It also tried to take the phone in a different direction where it addressed the normal user issues by providing useful tools that people would continue to use rather than trying to "out spec" the other guy. I suspect we shall see a lot of copy cats trying to do the same now that relatively new ground is being broken. No doubt there is a certain percentage of buyers out there that buy the latest and greatest specs so they can sit around and compare them with their friends, but, this does nothing to really provide more user benefits when it comes to daily use.

People gripe about the screen is only 720 and not 1080 but there are not many people out there that have good enuf eyes out there to tell the difference at a normal viewing distance. Scientific studies have proven that back in the days of HD tvs. Viewing distance trumps all. It sure makes it easier to add battery life without increasing weight and size.

When one reads reviews, the conclusion is that the perceived performance is as good, and sometimes, better than the so called "high end" spec'd phones. The on and off screen graphic tests are revealing. Some are determined to tar and feather it with an old processor label, but Motorola has revised it plus added a reworked gpu and the other two processors to form an integrated "processor system" that assists in reducing heat and extending battery life. Seems intelligent to me but I understand others don't see it that way.

Motorola and Google have set a new course by trying to make the phone a better tool for the average user-not the spec hound who may play with the phone a lot but does not really "use" it all that much as a phone.

I am probably in a minority as I live in the boon-docks and the actual phone talk performance is important because I am not always close to a tower plus I am old and deaf and I want to be able to hear it going down the road 75 mph in a less than quiet truck. Motorola has generally had pretty good phone performance over the years.

I am a bit disappointed in the camera performance but after looking at a number of comparisons, it is not as bad as I thought it would be from the early reviews. After all, the average phone buyer probably never even thinks about the picture quality when they are snapping their kids, or whatever. I hope they tune the software up in the updates.

All in all, I think this is a high end phone based on real world performance and utility. If their marketing campaign is worth a damn it will appeal to a large percentage of phone buyers but probably not to the people that want to talk about the speed of core processor.

Justify the price? I might be in the minority but $50 difference in price would never influence my own decision. I always buy what I think is the best phone for me. Fortunately in the real world, we are not required to justify our own purchases to others when we are doing the buying instead of someone else as long as the purchase fills our perceived needs.

The only thing I fear is that in a year there will be big advances in the direction that Moto has taken and I will want the next one in the trend :) No matter what your desires may be in a phone, that is inevitable...

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Eh, when it boils down to it, the main purpose of a smartphone is to make and receive calls. As long as it can do so reliably, I don't care what hardware is in it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wait what? No it's not surely. That's just what a normal phone is for. A smartphone (and it's in the name)is spar to be smart. Ie Internet, music, apps and just making everyday life so much easier.

my shiney new S4

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd throw in my 2c too. Main reason this is my next phone: size. Name me a phone that's easily handled w/ one hand that doesn't start w/ an i, and rhymes w/ y-phone, w/o a serious user-facing compromise (or more like slap in the face). S4 Mini? qHD. One Mini? removal of OIS. Droid Mini? Shackled to Verizon. The Moto X display: you're not gonna notice pixels unless you're holding it point blank. Camera isn't the greatest, but it's not a "compromise" per se since their flagships have the same exact camera. It's not unlikely to improve after software tweaks. Processor: as all reviewers have confirmed, you're not gonna notice a diff between this and other flagships unless you're doing hardcore gaming. The battery, the 2nd most important feature to me, also seems to outlast the HTC One, which was my other top choice.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I'd throw in my 2c too. Main reason this is my next phone: size. Name me a phone that's easily handled w/ one hand that doesn't start w/ an i, and rhymes w/ y-phone, w/o a serious user-facing compromise (or more like slap in the face). S4 Mini? qHD. One Mini? removal of OIS. Droid Mini? Shackled to Verizon. The Moto X display: you're not gonna notice pixels unless you're holding it point blank. Camera isn't the greatest, but it's not a "compromise" per se since their flagships have the same exact camera. It's not unlikely to improve after software tweaks. Processor: as all reviewers have confirmed, you're not gonna notice a diff between this and other flagships unless you're doing hardcore gaming. The battery, the 2nd most important feature to me, also seems to outlast the HTC One, which was my other top choice.

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, HTC One (least so) and Droid Razer HD or whatever it was called all fit that category for me. Agree with your last point, battery life sounds very promising :)

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, HTC One (least so) and Droid Razer HD or whatever it was called all fit that category for me. Agree with your last point, battery life sounds very promising :)

The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 are much closer in size to the Galaxy S4. I agree that they are much more uncomfortable to use one handed than the 4.3"category phone that the Moto X appears to fit in.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Haha. Touche on this. I guess I should've qualified that remark by saying this is for the small handed folk like me who can't reach the top of a 4.7" screen w/ their thumb w/o alot of shuffling in the hand. I think the Note is comfortable for one-handed use for some basketball players.. so I guess it's all relative.

techisking

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is not a mid-ranged device. People who keep saying that need to look beyond the hardware. It's not specced any lower than the iPhone, yet it's sold at the same price on contract do you consider iPhone a mid-ranged phone? Besides, we also don't know how much it'll be unlocked, carriers might just might be tired of subsidizing 400 bucks. Think about it why would Google release another mid-range phone. they already have the nexus line-up as mid-range, they're going for flagship with the Moto X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Think about it why would Google release another mid-range phone. they already have the nexus line-up as mid-range, hey're going for flagship with the Moto X.

Everything was making sense until this. There's nothing mid-range about the Nexus devices either except pricing. Every one that I'm aware of has been the best device to date in it's niche on it's release day.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, I just found out the MAXX screen is utter crap, LG has developed a 2560 x 1440 display at 538 dpi.

LG announces the world's first 2560 x 1440 smartphone display | Android Central

Why would anyone order the X now??? /sarcasm

i saw that the other day and was laughing. lol. Ewwww, Galaxy 4 is so mid-range now! it's not 2560!
bth_onoz.gif

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If 300ish PPI is not either the limit or beginning of hard diminishing returns on screen quality, what's the point of 400, let alone 500?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol