How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Whether the specs are good enough for people is an argument that will never end. However, it is clear that the MotoX uses older, more optimized hardware when compared to the One or S4. So, how are buyers going to justify paying the same price as the competition. Are the added features worth the premium price? I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?

I simply can't convince myself that I should pay a price for a phone when I can get a phone with much higher-end hardware for the same price. I would find it easier paying a nexus 4 price point for this, leading me to want to wait for the next nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't need to justify the price. Think of it this way, this phone, in America, customizations free, lots of R&D gets called over priced. Other competitors are full of half-baked features (like the S4), made in china, yet cost more. Why are we paying more, for phones that are being made overseas? Spec differences don't cost that much.

I think that just all the work put into the device is worth itself. The iPhone is priced 'right' yet it's 'worse' in specs, customization, features, ect. I'm glad the phone is near stock, with benefits, fits in the hand nicely, nice size, useful features, It's one of the greatest Android devices out, if not the best.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Older hardware? If that's a reference to the x8, do some reading about it. The engineer's interview on CNET is a good place to begin.

The screen is not 1080p, but the rationale makes sense... They say above 300 ppi humans cannot see the difference... So they got it above 300 and stopped to preserve battery life.

Awaiting the next nexus for comparison is probably a good idea, but this is not a midrange device like the "mini" devices that trade performance for price.

If it is faster in real world performance and lasts twice as long on a charge... That'd probably make one think the slower battery eaters are the real overpriced ones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
How are you able to justify paying the cost of a Galaxy S4 is my question. The absolute only positive I can see in it is the multi-window functionality. I do think that floating apps mostly replace the functionality so I don't really mind missing out on it.

The processor isn't old hardware. The core architecture used is the brand new 2013 Krait 300 rather than last year's Krait 200s. The Dual Core factor is really irrelevant with the high end GPU and RAM.

The screen is slightly disappointing but the benefit of 1080p screens is nowhere near worth the tradeoffs you must take. The negligible visual benefit is not worth the additional battery drain, or strain on the GPU, or the manufacturing difficulty in making 4.7" 1080p amoled screens. Samsung even couldn't use a full RGB pattern for their GS4.

The excellent form factor, excellent battery life, Active Notifications, Touchless Controls, along with the extremely smooth user experience compared with the GS4.

The Moto X is easily worth more than the GS4. The HTC One is a good phone, but the Moto X has an excellent speaker which makes the Boomsound not nearly as much a game winner.
IMO the battery life, awkward button positioning, and lack of the features makes the HTC One fall behind the X in overall worth.

You REALLY need to stop worrying so much aboutspecsbebecause mobile devices in no way cab even utilize the additional two cores.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Whether the specs are good enough for people is an argument that will never end. However, it is clear that the MotoX uses older, more optimized hardware when compared to the One or S4. So, how are buyers going to justify paying the same price as the competition. Are the added features worth the premium price? I know the Moto X is a more refined and optimized phone than a cutting edge powerhouse, aiming at usability, but is that worth the same as a flagship cutting edge phone?

I simply can't convince myself that I should pay a price for a phone when I can get a phone with much higher-end hardware for the same price. I would find it easier paying a nexus 4 price point for this, leading me to want to wait for the next nexus.

What does the S4 do that the S3 can't? Air Gestures?

If you think someone needs a reason to justify the expense of the Moto X, I couldn't imagine justifying the cost of just another ordinary phone that's no more capable than its predecessor.

And what old hardware is the Moto X using? You certainly couldn't be referencing Moto's brand new X8 system.

- Active display
- Touchless control
- Customizable
- Assembled in the U.S.A.

Those are four qualities unmatched by any other flagship model, and worth every penny.

How could you justify buying anything else for $200?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

So what you're saying is to hell with performance, you just want specs? How can you justify the GS4 costing as much as the X if the X is much smoother without nearly the lag? If the X performs, then that justifies the price. The only time specs really matter is when you first show it off to your friends and wanna brag about gigahertz of RAMZ. Someday people will care about what the phone actually does instead of what is stamped on a silicon wafer inside of it.

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
1) Most reviews put it on nearly equal (perhaps better) footing as the HTC One and Galaxy S4 in terms of performance
2) Size of a phone rather than a tablet
3) Battery expected to get me through the work day without worrying about having a charger nearby at all times
4) Close-to-stock Android
5) Some interesting and potentially helpful features

Edit: Should also add I'm on Verizon and have almost zero shot at a Nexus device.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Performance is the key...

Think of it like a car. One may have listed a higher horsepower and make a bunch of noise but a "lesser" vehicle will accelerate faster and have better handling. And in this case it would have a better styling.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
How am I justifying the price....well let's see here...

I don't want the GS4.
I don't want the Droids.
I don't want an iPhone.

It's pretty much between the HTC One and Moto X. Since they're both price the same, I feel very comfortable buying whichever one I like more.

Are you implying that I should buy the HTC One because it has "better specs" than the Moto X, even if I don't like it? Let me ask you: how do you justify THAT?

Last edited:

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
These are all good points. These responses help me understand what you guys truly value I am a phone.

Let me clarify, this thread isn't a personal one. I am not in the market for a new phone, and never was prior to the MotoX unveil. I just know that the price was a huge point of contention, and wanted to hear from the fans of the phone.

My personal thoughts are this: if the phone can perform this well for the duration of a contract then I think it's well worth the price. Nothing grinds my gears more than a "flagship" phone that performs admirably until an update rolls along. Do "4.x.x update ruined this phone!" threads ring a bell? Or, when apps leave the phone struggling like Chrome or high end games like Iron man 3. My perception was that the phones that can handle a contract are those with powerhouse processors and a gratuitous amount of RAM. This is why I am particularly interested to see if the X8 system can handle this with a dual core processor.

As far as features go, I 100% agree that it's a matter of quality over quantity. I love the features MotoX offers especially over the S4. The One offers great features as well.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My perception was that the phones that can handle a contract are those with powerhouse processors and a gratuitous amount of RAM.
The S4 has a "powerhouse processor" and a "gratuitous amount of RAM" (same as the Moto X, interestingly enough), but have you been to that forum lately? Even with all the high-spec hardware the phone still lags and has issues.

I don't care if a phone is only running a single core processor; if it's fast it's fast. You can get me to ignore everything on a spec sheet with real-world performance.

So, back to the original question: would you rather pay for specs or results? Ask the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
They could have easily released this phone with 'better' specs. Instead, they chose to spend their effort designing
a phone that just works. You have to look at the Moto X like the iPhone or a Windows Phone device. Its being sold on the experience, not just the hardware. I haven't seen a professional review yet that hasn't mentioned how well this phone is put together end to end from software to hardware.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
like the iPhone or a Windows Phone device. Its being sold on the experience, not just the hardware. I haven't seen a professional review yet that hasn't mentioned how well this phone is put together end to end from software to hardware.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Windows phone + experience.
barf.gif

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I can justify the price because it's targeted at me, just a middle of the road guy not looking for a powerhouse, big screen phone but a phone like the Moto X.
Specs don't really mean than much in my buying situation. The X pretty much covers it with it's features, Android 4.2.2, screen size, and I've owned Motorola's before.
I think this is going to be a great phone for me and a LOT of people who don't know it yet.;)

rickc1015

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
What should it be, maybe $50.00 less?

I cannot believe all the drama.

And I promise you, not one of the spec snobs could tell the difference between a quad-core or dual-core just by using any device.

I will concede on the display, but I would swap my current 1080p for a full day of battery. I get 3rd degree burns on my hands watching YouTube.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
What should it be, maybe $50.00 less?

I cannot believe all the drama.

And I promise you, not one of the spec snobs could tell the difference between a quad-core or dual-core just by using any device.

I will concede on the display, but I would swap my current 1080p for a full day of battery. I get 3rd degree burns on my hands watching YouTube.

Yup. Some guy did a video of doing gaming with it and mentioned it ran less hot than other phones. http://youtu.be/COG8-ok3Jv8?t=1m16s

rickc1015

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I am going to watch that paisley99 but should I Burn my hands on my quad-core phone or should I watch it 5 seconds at a time while my quad-core tablet buffers?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae