Moto Maker on VZ, Sprint, and T-Mo

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this device will fly off the shelves when Moto Maker is offered to the other carriers. I'm just curious though about all the people who get a black or white Moto X before Moto Maker is available.

Do you think Motorola/The Carriers will give like a discount or trade-in program for people who bought a black or white X at launch and now want a custom X??

I can't wait to check out this phone and if I like it I'm probably going to get a black one because I don't think my GNex will make it until the exclusive with AT&T is over.

So I was wondering if you think Motorola would let me trade-in my black X for a custom one?? Maybe pay a small fee, like $50 or something, totally fine with me. I'm thinking it's not gonna happen though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you think Motorola/The Carriers will give like a discount or trade-in program for people who bought a black or white X at launch and now want a custom X??

I'd love for that to happen because I also plan on getting one before the exclusivity period with AT&T is over, but I doubt it'll happen. I'd be willing to pay a fee to exchange mine for a custom phone, too.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this device will fly off the shelves when Moto Maker is offered to the other carriers. I'm just curious though about all the people who get a black or white Moto X before Moto Maker is available.

I can't wait to check out this phone and if I like it I'm probably going to get a black one because I don't think my GNex will make it until the exclusive with AT&T is over.

So I was wondering if you think Motorola would let me trade-in my black X for a custom one?? Maybe pay a small fee, like $50 or something, totally fine with me. I'm thinking it's not gonna happen though.

Wow, what a splash that would create. :D. (i don't see it happening though, but you never know)

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the perfect solution for this. Well almost perfect... Buy the phone at Costco when it comes out and since Costco has a 90 day return policy, you can just return it when moto maker is available later this year. This will work perfectly as long as Moto Maker does in fact come by the end of the year for everyone else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the perfect solution for this. Well almost perfect... Buy the phone at Costco when it comes out and since Costco has a 90 day return policy, you can just return it when moto maker is available later this year. This will work perfectly as long as Moto Maker does in fact come by the end of the year for everyone else.

Great Idea!! Gotta love Costco. I need to renew my membership ASAP.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Sorry but I don't see how this will work. For starters, Costco doesn't sell at full price. So it will only possibly work with those on contract. Secondly....when you return the device in 90 days it doesn't reset your upgrade date. So even if you return it and get the $200 back so you can purchase it from your respective carrier yourself, you will need to attempt to fight it with the carrier to reset the date. If Costco ends up selling the custom version then a trade might be possible. But I'm not too sure about that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I don't see how this will work. For starters, Costco doesn't sell at full price. So it will only possibly work with those on contract. Secondly....when you return the device in 90 days it doesn't reset your upgrade date. So even if you return it and get the $200 back so you can purchase it from your respective carrier yourself, you will need to attempt to fight it with the carrier to reset the date. If Costco ends up selling the custom version then a trade might be possible. But I'm not too sure about that.

X2.on Verizon at least, your contract is locked after 14 days. You can return or exchange up to 90 days, and Costco would charge or credit the price difference. I just don't see moto Maker being available through Costco, although anything is possible.

Verizon won't reset your upgrade date just because you didn't like the color...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware that Costco doesn't sell at full retail. Well now I'm bummed:(

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
This idea is too good and has too much promise for any carrier to actually do it. Get a Moto X now and then a new customized one in 3 months or so for $50? Too many people would be all over that and it would give some level of customer satisfaction.That's the last thing carriers want.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Can you pass some of what you are smokin' over here, that is some really good stuff. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This idea is too good and has too much promise for any carrier to actually do it. Get a Moto X now and then a new customized one in 3 months or so for $50? Too many people would be all over that and it would give some level of customer satisfaction.That's the last thing carriers want.

I think at $50, carriers would be losing money, since they have to take the phone back, refurbish it and either resell it as a refurbished device or use it as a warranty replacement. Of course if moto were to chip in some money, sure it would be possible. But I doubt it.

Btw, if you are a best buy silver member, you have 60 days to return, so if you bought at full retail, it could work.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think at $50, carriers would be losing money, since they have to take the phone back, refurbish it and either resell it as a refurbished device or use it as a warranty replacement. Of course if moto were to chip in some money, sure it would be possible. But I doubt it.

Btw, if you are a best buy silver member, you have 60 days to return, so if you bought at full retail, it could work.

Yea I don't see it happening. Carriers won't do it, if anybody will its Moto. But if they already have your $600 dollars, it's kinda pointless for them to grab a cpl extra $$s out of you. At $50 its probably close to what they spend just to ship the thing to you within 4 days.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Carriers currently have phones that they sell refurbished or give away as warranty replacements. These are generally phones that were returned because something was wrong with them and work has to be done on them to make them sellable. In this scenario, there would technically be nothing wrong with the phone so less work would be required to refurbish them. And if they're smart, they would come up with a term other than "Refurbished" and sell it at a slightly higher rate than a fully refurbished phone. Also, typically when you return a phone for a reason that is covered by warranty, the carrier doesn't make any more money from you, they just have to give you another phone. In this case, they would be getting an extra $50 from you.
Without taking a detailed look at the financials I can't be certain, but it would seem like this wouldn't cost them money, they would actually make a little.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Carriers currently have phones that they sell refurbished or give away as warranty replacements. These are generally phones that were returned because something was wrong with them and work has to be done on them to make them sellable. In this scenario, there would technically be nothing wrong with the phone so less work would be required to refurbish them. And if they're smart, they would come up with a term other than "Refurbished" and sell it at a slightly higher rate than a fully refurbished phone. Also, typically when you return a phone for a reason that is covered by warranty, the carrier doesn't make any more money from you, they just have to give you another phone. In this case, they would be getting an extra $50 from you.
Without taking a detailed look at the financials I can't be certain, but it would seem like this wouldn't cost them money, they would actually make a little.

The term you're thinking of is USED. Which actually would probably sell for less than refurbished. They wouldn't make any money since they have to pay Moto for these phones. So lets say they are giving $500 for each phone to Moto and they buy 2 of them for you....You give them $250 for the 2 phones while they give Moto $1,000. They maybe can give away the used one with a contract? Idk but I don't see it happening. There is no incentive for them to do it. They have you for 2 more years.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I think if such a trade-in program existed, the minimum fee would be $100, not $50. More realistically, though, we'd probably be looking at $200-300 dollars.

At those rates, I would definitely consider it.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The term you're thinking of is USED. Which actually would probably sell for less than refurbished.

And since USED would probably sell for less than refurbished, its NOT the term i'm thinking of. That's why I said they could come up with a term, not use one that's already...used(sorry, I know)
And if this solution is what would keep people on Verizon(for example) instead of them jetting off to AT&T then in the end they will still make money...lots of it.

We all know this will never happen, it's just fun discussing the possibilities of what could be.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This idea is too good and has too much promise for any carrier to actually do it.

I wasn't thinking the carriers would do it. Maybe T-Mobile. They seem to care more about their customers or at least want people to switch to their service. I'm thinking Motorola would be the one to do this.

They should know not a lot of people are going to get a black or white one on the other carriers. And if they do THEN you release Moto Maker to everyone, people are gonna be upset since now they want a custom X.

If I were Motorola I would allow people to send their phones to the Texas plant and get it customized and sent back to you for like $50. Since you already spent money to buy the X. It would make A LOT of people happy!! That's just my 2 cents.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't thinking the carriers would do it. Maybe T-Mobile. They seem to care more about their customers or at least want people to switch to their service. I'm thinking Motorola would be the one to do this.

They should know not a lot of people are going to get a black or white one on the other carriers. And if they do THEN you release Moto Maker to everyone, people are gonna be upset since now they want a custom X.

If I were Motorola I would allow people to send their phones to the Texas plant and get it customized and sent back to you for like $50. Since you already spent money to buy the X. It would make A LOT of people happy!! That's just my 2 cents.

The problem is AT&T paid for exclusiveness, Moto can't rly come out and say.....Buy on whatever carrier you want because after all that money AT&T gave us wears off, we will give you a new better looking one.

Down the line maybe Moto could offer to collect the black/white ones and offer customs for more money. I kinda doubt it'll be that big of deal for them to do it. But if they are busy customizing phones and building the black/white ones constantly they may not want to use that time on making a few extra dollars from this service.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Open box is really the best term for usage, but I have never seen carriers describe it. Because it is vague.

I don't really see how they would make money at $50, who is going to buy a refurbished product at the same price as new? At the least, I have seen a $50 discount between refurbished and new, and even then I think it is a hard sell. Most would rather pay $200 new vs. $150 refurbished. Sometimes refurbished are discounted dramatically just to clear stock. I have seen the att note 2 refurbished for free or near free a few times, when retail is $300. Even if they could sell it for $50 less, they are losing money since they have to take the phone back, send it to a center to refurbish and package the device, then send it to a distribution center. Don't forget the cost of sending the phone to the center, and the cost of sending it to a distribution center, and the cost of shipping it to the end user. Shipping on phones, ar least on Verizon is always free 2 day delivery.

Apple refurbished (directly from apple) are generally regarded as the best in the industry. They come with a new battery and shell and a full one year warranty. Even then, you would save more than $50 over new, for products in the same price range as the Moto X.

I highly doubt that refurbished for major carriers replaces the battery and shell, if not defective or damaged. And att refurbished warranty is 90 days. Verizon is 1 year.

Last edited: