Picked one up today (Canada)!

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
One came in to Victoria (at Future Shop), so went over and picked it up. It's charging right now and I haven't played with it much, but it does feel fairly solid (esp. compared to the Galaxy S4). More feedback after the charging is complete, but here's a pic!

If you have any questions, fire away!!!

Attachments

• motox.jpg
    motox.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 224

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That screen looks blurry as hell. They should have gone with a 1080 screen. More mid range than I had hoped. /sarcasm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I would love this phone except for the crappy camera.....I really wanted it to be the one for me but I just cant take a down grade on my iPhone 5 camera.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On a scale of 1 to mid-range, how does it feel so far?

Feels small, but substantial in a mid-range kind of way. You can definitely feel the weight in spite of the mid-range specs. ;) The back does not feel slippery and the Motorola dimple at the back is a great place to rest your index finger when making a call. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 for comfort.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a 16gb version. What is the available memory?

What is your initial impression of the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 7

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a 16gb version. What is the available memory?

What is your initial impression of the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes, I have a 16GB version (no 32GB version for Canada). There's a little over 11GB left on a fresh install. First impressions of the screen are that it's average - neither the best or the worst. It is completely unremarkable.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase? How's the call quality? Also, do you plan on running a launcher or keeping it stock? I'm curious to know how it will handle something like Nova Launcher. I have a GNex and it lags sometimes and/or takes awhile to load a home screen and I attribute some of that to the launcher.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase? How's the call quality? Also, do you plan on running a launcher or keeping it stock? I'm curious to know how it will handle something like Nova Launcher. I have a GNex and it lags sometimes and/or takes awhile to load a home screen and I attribute some of that to the launcher.

I haven't made any calls as yet with the phone, but it seems to get a better signal than my Galaxy S4. I am playing around with the Nova Launcher, but haven't decided whether to keep Nova or go back to stock. BTW, Nova runs just fine with the Moto X - I haven't seen any lag with it so far.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I know this is wayyyy to early to ask. But do you miss the LED notification? Okay, maybe answer later. :D Cuz you can't see notifications from afar or out of the corner of your eye. That's one thing about LED notifications have over breathing i think, although not sure.

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you planning on trying this out as your daily driver, or is this just an experiment purchase (aka, just to play around with)?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I know this is wayyyy to early to ask. But do you miss the LED notification? Okay, maybe answer later. :D Cuz you can't see notifications from afar or out of the corner of your eye. That's one thing about LED notifications have over breathing i think, although not sure.

I'm not sure as yet whether I prefer display notifications over an LED one. The LED notification is easier to notice (esp. out of the corner of your eye) since the blink rate is faster than the Moto display notification, but the Moto display notifications offer more information than the LED ones. It'll take some time to get used to this.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure as yet whether I prefer display notifications over an LED one. The LED notification is easier to notice (esp. out of the corner of your eye) since the blink rate is faster than the Moto display notification, but the Moto display notifications offer more information than the LED ones. It'll take some time to get used to this.

oh.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you planning on trying this out as your daily driver, or is this just an experiment purchase (aka, just to play around with)?

I'm planning to use it as a daily driver for the next ten days and then decide whether I want to keep it or return it (or pick up a 32GB one from the US). So far, the size is what I like the most (coming from a stock JB Galaxy S4). If the battery life is as advertised and I can live with the 16/32GB, I'll probably keep the Moto X.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I think a LOT of people are going to miss LED-type notification, i've read a few people mention it. I see my little phone blinking at me right now. I appreciate that. I think even another poster he said i wonder if someone could make a flashing dot for it. I think they're right.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think a LOT of people are going to miss LED-type notification, i've read a few people mention it. I see my little phone blinking at me right now. I appreciate that. I think even another poster he said i wonder if someone could make a flashing dot for it. I think they're right.

I think it's just a question of getting used to it over time (I know that's easier said than done). However, I think the moto notifications will be more useful than the LED for a lot of people. I think as Moto offers more customizations (blink rates, numbers of notifications etc), it should be even more useful.

Astrotrain00

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't made any calls as yet with the phone, but it seems to get a better signal than my Galaxy S4. I am playing around with the Nova Launcher, but haven't decided whether to keep Nova or go back to stock. BTW, Nova runs just fine with the Moto X - I haven't seen any lag with it so far.

Thanks, man. Thought of another one for ya. How's the camera? And what do you think of the wrist-flick motion? Is it as tricky to get as some of the sites have said or is it just a matter of doing it once or twice?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it's just a question of getting used to it over time (I know that's easier said than done). However, I think the moto notifications will be more useful than the LED for a lot of people. I think as Moto offers more customizations (blink rates, numbers of notifications etc), it should be even more useful.

ooooh, you're right, they can just change the blink rate. Awesome, smart.