Picked one up today (Canada)!

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think if the screen is on, it will use the battery. The S4 has a 2600 mah battery and a 1080 screen. The Moto has a 720 screen and a 2200 mah battery so I would not be surprised that screen on consumption is pretty similar. They went for small physical size and packaging ergonomics....I would hope for a bit better life than you have reported, but, that may be the way it is....

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Something else that I'm actually on the fence a bit about is how Moto does the onscreen notifications. It's better than any other device...kinda.

The breathing function is great. The press an icon to get a preview of the message is also great. However, when you dismiss an alert on the Moto lock screen it doesn't dismiss the item from the Android OS alert shade. So, if you've been deciding to just brush away alerts in the Moto screen you end up having to do the same once you're into the Android OS. Annoying.

Another thing is that if you have a screen lock, then after unlocking the Moto lock screen you're pushed to the OS unlock the Android unlock screen. It feels like this can actually take longer than the usual 'power on screen and unlock' because of the pulsing nature of the Moto lock screen.

Finally, while the pulsing is cool, if you don't tap into an alert/unlock button before it fades you can either wait a few seconds (haven't actually timed it) or you can just turn on the screen, unlock, then check your alerts. I would prefer it if instead of 'breathing' alerts to the point where they vanish from the screen they were always slightly visible on the screen (when the phone is screen-up) so that I could take immediate action on alerts at any time. Though, I bet this would hurt the battery life some...

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Also dont forget that if you have to use a third party camera app to get better pictures then the wrist turning thing to open the camera becomes useless.
Something else that I'm actually on the fence a bit about is how Moto does the onscreen notifications. It's better than any other device...kinda.

The breathing function is great. The press an icon to get a preview of the message is also great. However, when you dismiss an alert on the Moto lock screen it doesn't dismiss the item from the Android OS alert shade. So, if you've been deciding to just brush away alerts in the Moto screen you end up having to do the same once you're into the Android OS. Annoying.

Another thing is that if you have a screen lock, then after unlocking the Moto lock screen you're pushed to the OS unlock the Android unlock screen. It feels like this can actually take longer than the usual 'power on screen and unlock' because of the pulsing nature of the Moto lock screen.

Finally, while the pulsing is cool, if you don't tap into an alert/unlock button before it fades you can either wait a few seconds (haven't actually timed it) or you can just turn on the screen, unlock, then check your alerts. I would prefer it if instead of 'breathing' alerts to the point where they vanish from the screen they were always slightly visible on the screen (when the phone is screen-up) so that I could take immediate action on alerts at any time. Though, I bet this would hurt the battery life some...

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I actually prefer this - this way, I can address any urgent notifications right away and I can get those less important later from the status bar. I guess it's a question of personal preference and Moto decided to implement it one way.

I've found that "Trusted Devices" functionality helps alleviate this issue - whenever the phone is within range of a trusted device, it disables the screen lock. I'm not sure that this would work for you, but it does the trick for me.

I agree, but this is way better than having a flashing LED and then press the power/home button to turn the screen on and figure out what notification you have.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've found that "Trusted Devices" functionality helps alleviate this issue - whenever the phone is within range of a trusted device, it disables the screen lock. I'm not sure that this would work for you, but it does the trick for me.

I don't carry around a Bluetooth device that registers often enough for this to be terribly handy at the moment. Once Moto updates the X to 4.3, and my fitness tracker's software updates to pair with my phone, this issue might be alleviated.

I agree, but this is way better than having a flashing LED and then press the power/home button to turn the screen on and figure out what notification you have.

I definitely prefer what Moto has done, don't get me wrong: I'm just nitpicking over things that I haven't seen covered in detail in the reviews. I'm not about to return the MX and take up my Galaxy Nexus again :)

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't carry around a Bluetooth device that registers often enough for this to be terribly handy at the moment. Once Moto updates the X to 4.3, and my fitness tracker's software updates to pair with my phone, this issue might be alleviated.

I was surprised at how many BT enabled devices I have - the Mac at home, my laptop at work, my car's BT audio system and my Pebble watch. With those, I get the convenience of bypassing the security in "safe" environments! :)

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I think I agree with Dr. Bombay. I want the active notifications to let me know if I have notifications that need me to get into my phone. If I get many emails that can wait for an hour or two I wouldn't want to completely remove them from my system just so my phone will stop blinking at me or allow me to miss the more important text messages.

I also don't think it's a big issue that you have to go through the lock screen and security to act on notifications. If you have security on your phone then you wouldn't even be able to see any notifications because the shade is disabled so you'd have to completely unlock the phone to get any info. The Moto X version is much easier.
In addition, you aren't required to access the phone through the Active Notification screen. The Moto Xs allow you to press the power button to turn on the phone just as all others and it'll take you to the lock screen rather than the notification system.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised at how many BT enabled devices I have - the Mac at home, my laptop at work, my car's BT audio system and my Pebble watch. With those, I get the convenience of bypassing the security in "safe" environments! :)

Yet the Pebble Watch is all you really need isn't it?

For myself I have my home computer, work computer, and car Bluetooth speaker (but it's battery powered so can be a pain to keep charged)

I'm really trying to decide whether i should invest in a bluetooth device I'll always carry around like a smartwatch or bluetooth headset. But the watches are expensive and I think the functionality is not worth it yet for me and the Bluetooth headsets are still to awkward for me to want to wear around all the time.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yet the Pebble Watch is all you really need isn't it?

For myself I have my home computer, work computer, and car Bluetooth speaker (but it's battery powered so can be a pain to keep charged)

I'm really trying to decide whether i should invest in a bluetooth device I'll always carry around like a smartwatch or bluetooth headset. But the watches are expensive and I think the functionality is not worth it yet for me and the Bluetooth headsets are still to awkward for me to want to wear around all the time.

What you need is the Motorola Skip! $20 and you get similar functionality... :cool:

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I definitely prefer what Moto has done, don't get me wrong: I'm just nitpicking over things that I haven't seen covered in detail in the reviews. I'm not about to return the MX and take up my Galaxy Nexus again :)

Hey Damian - what's your experience with the battery life so far? I've installed BetterBatteryStats and have noticed a 9% drop in battery life in about 90 minutes. This was with no usage at all, but only showing Active Notifications.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
What you need is the Motorola Skip! $20 and you get similar functionality... :cool:

I don't care at all about the Skip accessory because it relies on NFC. I would hate having to tap my phone on the tag each time I want to access my phone. If I'm at a bar I want to be able to look at my phone and do whatever I need. If I rely on the Skip tag then if I get a text I either have to enter a password or pick my phone off the bar then tap it on my pocket to unlock it while with Bluetooth it's already ready for me wherever I am.

That said, if the Skip Dots are Bluetooth chips then that would be good, but from the marketing speak it's very unclear on how they work.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That said, if the Skip Dots are Bluetooth chips then that would be good, but from the marketing speak it's very unclear on how they work.

The Skip Dots are probably NFC based too. BT based dots would probably consume too much power to make them standalone without a charger.

sroberts

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
How are the power / volume buttons? Some reviews have mentioned the buttons are loose and rattle around, other reviews have said they are solid.

Thanks in advance.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I think you can place the phone face down to somewhat get this affect. If the phone is face down and then picked up the notifications will show.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
BTW, for those wondering about the "breathing" - it's two seconds on and six seconds off for the notification. Every once in a while, it'll stay on for five seconds but it's always six seconds off.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW, for those wondering about the "breathing" - it's two seconds on and six seconds off for the notification. Every once in a while, it'll stay on for five seconds but it's always six seconds off.

does it bother you? do you find yourself looking at the phone for say, 4 seconds when you come back from something? (no biggie for me, if i have to i'll just d/l a faux led app, but just curious, i come from a phone with a different type of normal android notification system and am praying for good notifications.

and can you press the phone for notifications even if it's not on it's 2 seconds of breath?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
does it bother you? do you find yourself looking at the phone for say, 4 seconds when you come back from something? (no biggie for me, if i have to i'll just d/l a faux led app, but just curious, i come from a phone with a different type of normal android notification system and am praying for good notifications.

and can you press the phone for notifications even if it's not on it's 2 seconds of breath?

It doesn't bother me that much - I would have preferred a 3 sec on/3 sec off burst for breathing, but I'm okay with what we have. What I really like is that the unlock screen comes on whenever I lift the phone from my desk - no need to mess with the power button.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't bother me that much - I would have preferred a 3 sec on/3 sec off burst for breathing, but I'm okay with what we have. What I really like is that the unlock screen comes on whenever I lift the phone from my desk - no need to mess with the power button.

You don't know how much i appreciate that answer. :D

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey Damian - what's your experience with the battery life so far? I've installed BetterBatteryStats and have noticed a 9% drop in battery life in about 90 minutes. This was with no usage at all, but only showing Active Notifications.

With an emphasis on anecdotal!

This morning when I was taking some photos + getting the new (mixed 802.11n and LTE) I went from 97% to 90% in about an hour or so. Screen was persistently on. That said, I wasn't timing things precisely. I'm actually trying to get used to carrying the device, in my normal environment, to gauge battery life.

What I can say is that, having come off 100% charge at about 7:30am, I'm not at 64% as of 12:30pm. I haven't used the phone heavily but, if I was on my Galaxy Nexus, I'd likely be at about 40% by now based on my experience. Ultimately, though, I haven't had the phone long enough to make a particularly decisive judgement one way or another on battery beyond it seems better than the GN.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary