Possibly idiotic question but whatever.

frankly1100

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
It might have or might not have been asked or discussed before so I apologize if I'm asking about something that someone has already asked about. Regarding the Moto Maker customization, is it only available to AT&T customers? Or can one customize the device and pay outright for it? I'd like to purchase one for use on Metro PCS which supports AT&T's 3G/4G network in my area. I've read into many articles regarding the Moto X release on AT&T but I haven't really read anything pointing to whether availability is limited to AT&T customers. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It might have or might not have been asked or discussed before so I apologize if I'm asking about something that someone has already asked about. Regarding the Moto Maker customization, is it only available to AT&T customers? Or can one customize the device and pay outright for it? I'd like to purchase one for use on Metro PCS which supports AT&T's 3G/4G network in my area. I've read into many articles regarding the Moto X release on AT&T but I haven't really read anything pointing to whether availability is limited to AT&T customers. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry my dear, only available to AT&T customers.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually when you pay for it on the Moto Maker checkout at full price it does not require your att info. So theoretically it should work if on the same bands.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

What do you mean it supports 3G/4G from AT&T? Are you in a revamped T-Mobile zone? If so then you would need to unlock the phone. Plus it might be sketchy 3G service since they seemed to have dropped revamping their network once the iPhone came to them.

But yes you can pay $580 and buy it out right from AT&T.

So what would prevent you from buying it and then putting a non-AT&T SIM card in it?

The phone is locked to AT&T's network. To use it with a different SIM card you would need to get it unlocked.

anotherdroid

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
No mention of the Skip during the whole process as far as the second answer I assume it's locked to AT&T but maybe it comes unlocked like the Verizon IPhone 5.

hmm, it will be interesting to see if the Skip just shows up with it. And no you are correct, it's definitely locked to AT&T. i wanted to buy the phone outright from Moto Maker and then bring it to AT&T for a no-contract plan. thanks for your input!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
hmm, it will be interesting to see if the Skip just shows up with it. And no you are correct, it's definitely locked to AT&T. i wanted to buy the phone outright from Moto Maker and then bring it to AT&T for a no-contract plan. thanks for your input!

Unboxing of a moto maker on ebay didn't show any skip.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

That works without unlock. As long as its AT&T towers it'll be an AT&T SIM card. If you want to use T-Mo like the OP seems to want.....You'd need it unlocked.

Unboxing of a moto maker on ebay didn't show any skip.

Do you mean Youtube? This one got the Skip........................

Custom Moto X Unboxing - YouTube

frankly1100

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean it supports 3G/4G from AT&T? Are you in a revamped T-Mobile zone? If so then you would need to unlock the phone. Plus it might be sketchy 3G service since they seemed to have dropped revamping their network once the iPhone came to them.

But yes you can pay $580 and buy it out right from AT&T.

The phone is locked to AT&T's network. To use it with a different SIM card you would need to get it unlocked.

No, Metro PCS in my area is serving up 4G sim cards and selling them with their newer GSM devices, all of which support both Metro/T-Mobile 4G but unlocked AT&T phones are recommended when you BYOD because it guarantees you'll have access to 3G/4G since the LTE served in my area is based on the old regional network which is being refarmed. So yes I know I'd have to unlock it. But today's news answers my question.

Off-contract AT&T Moto X now available through Moto Maker | Android Central

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana