Share your Moto X (1st gen) Moto Maker design here!

hdebo

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Share your Moto X Moto Maker design here!

This is the walnut. It looks much better than what it shows on the Moto X design site. It does not show how nice the wood grain looks.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

This is the walnut. It looks much better than what it shows on the Moto X design site. It does not show how nice the wood grain looks.
yes, I agree. I couldn't capture it in my pics either. Much nicer in person!

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Since I already have my X I decided to purchase an Ebony back on Ebay. This is it with out being on the phone yet. I think these may have been pre-production/QA rejects. One reasoning for that is, it does not have the FCC IDs on it. It also seems to have a few dimples and small bumps.2014-01-30 22.15.06.jpg2014-01-30 22.15.42.jpg2014-01-30 22.16.24.jpg

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

how much was it and are you using a video to show you how to take off the old back and put the new one on?
It was $30 for the ebony. I was just about to link his auctions but looks like they are all gone.

I just followed the directions from Motorola Moto X Teardown - iFixit Instead of using the spudger I used a pick and Instead of buying their heat bag I made my own with a sock and rice. 2014-01-30 22.48.12.jpg
just be careful when you release it because the flex cable is attached to the flash on the back.

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Anyone make a dark wood back with red accents? I Know I want red and wood on it, but I'm not sure since the buttons look different IRL than on the website.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Anyone make a dark wood back with red accents? I Know I want red and wood on it, but I'm not sure since the buttons look different IRL than on the website.

I think it would look good and add a little pop to the wood. It's definitely red, not the magenta it looks like on the computer.

Posted via Android Central App

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Ya that's what all my friends said too. Probably gonna grab walnut back, black front, red accents then.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I had a black back/front with red accents and it looked great. The red is a true red. I am sure it would look fantastic with the ebony. My local Verizon store has a display with all the backs and accent colors. ATT stores may carry the display, too.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I've gone through several Moto X's but finally was able to order one with a wood back. Chose walnut/black with silver accents. I didn't notice until I got to the office under the bright lights that my back is scratched. Had to get Moto to issue a return authorization and order another one. I hope it comes as fast as this one did. Ordered on Monday and received on Thursday.

Pic below, scratch is just right of center between the Moto and Verizon Logo.

2014-01-30.jpg

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Ya that's what all my friends said too. Probably gonna grab walnut back, black front, red accents then.

I ordered that exact combo. It's being assembled right now. I'm excited to get it. Hope it shows up before next Friday, the scheduled delivery date.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

That's interesting that you asked because the scratch looks like it's on the underside of the cover. At the office it looked like I could see through it. I am going to get my LED flashlight and look closely.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I took a closer look and it looks like a very thin piece of some wood like substance with a plastic coating over it to give the feel. The wood like layer below the plastic looks split. It's not really a scratch, it was just easier to refer to it that way. Either way, the tear is below the top layer.

I didn't initially see it when I first took it out of the box last night. I was really enamored by how nice it looked.

There needs to be better clarification on what really is wood. A coworker mentioned the tiny speaker holes on the back. Those are very precise holes with very little space between them, I would think that area would be very delicate if it was real wood.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I took a closer look and it looks like a very thin piece of some wood like substance with a plastic coating over it to give the feel. The wood like layer below the plastic looks split. It's not really a scratch, it was just easier to refer to it that way. Either way, the tear is below the top layer.
OK so there is wood that is stained and then a top layer that is perhaps some sort of polymer coating? Then under the wood there is plastic. So plastic under wood under coating. And the wood is split, revealing plastic underneath it but still sealed on top by the coating, yes?

There needs to be better clarification on what really is wood. A coworker mentioned the tiny speaker holes on the back. Those are very precise holes with very little space between them, I would think that area would be very delicate if it was real wood.
Ok are you saying that there is no wood layer?

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

It's hard to tell. The outer layer is some kind of coating, below that is the wood finish. What is below that is hard to tell. It looks white but the color is skewed because of the top layer. The wood finish is what is torn or ripped. I can't feel the tear from the top layer.

I tried taking so several pictures earlier, going to grab my DSLR and see if I can get a couple of macro shots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk