Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lostaggie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Where Was Your Moto Assembled?

I know that Moto + reviewers have made a particularly big deal about the X being assembled in the US. A close up shot of those 'American Assembled' devices is available by iFixit:

Where Was Your Moto Assembled?-eos3lg5rx2zqesm4.jpeg

When I look at the back of my X (bought through Rogers in Canada), however, I see that it reads 'Assembled in China'. Any others noticing this disparity?

Default Re: Where Was Your Moto Assembled?

Pic?

Quote Originally Posted by DamienThorn View Post
    I know that Moto + reviewers have made a particularly big deal about the X being assembled in the US. A close up shot of those 'American Assembled' devices is available by iFixit:

When I look at the back of my X (bought through Rogers in Canada), however, I see that it reads 'Assembled in China'. Any others noticing this disparity?
    yikes. shade! lol. it makes sense though. if you're your in a place that you don't advertise made in the u.s. you don't have to have to make them there. and if you don't have to make them there, make them where it's cheaper. No wonder it was cheaper over there for ya'll! In perfumes we make different the same "product" in different places for different markets, it's pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I thought all those sold in US and Canada were assembled in the US. Is there reason to believe otherwise?
    Mine is also assembled in China. Maybe the stock black and white ones are made in China, with the custom ones are assembled in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post
    Mine is also assembled in China. Maybe the stock black and white ones are made in China, with the custom ones are assembled in the US.
    Wow that was extremely hard to see on my white one. I picked mine up today at my local AT&T and it is the stock white one. Mine is assembled in the US.

Odd. The white one I saw at the AT&T store was assembled in the US. I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post

shade!
    Ah, i just remembered you're in canada. i think

Maybe the US ones are only for the US market...
    Ry likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by lostaggie View Post
    Pic?
    Tomorrow, when I have another camera (phone). But others appear to be confirming what I've found...

Pretty sure it was known from the beginning that devices sold in the us will be made In the us and devices sold elsewhere will be made in China.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by guinnkevinr View Post
    Pretty sure it was known from the beginning that devices sold in the us will be made In the us and devices sold elsewhere will be made in China.

Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, one big reason why moto chose to assemble moto x in the USA is to circumvent any chance of the itc issuing an importation ban. Apple or whoever can still go through the court system to enforce a patent, but it would be more costly and more importantly take longer for a ruling.

Of course, the itc being part of the us government has no jurisdiction outside the usa. So the fact that moto chose to make the Moto x sold outside the usa in China gives more support to the above theory.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Yeah, one big reason why moto chose to assemble moto x in the USA is to circumvent any chance of the itc issuing an importation ban.
    Oh, that's why? I read an article on Forbes speculating that maybe possibly that could have been the case, in theory.

I didn't know Google or Motorola had confirmed anything of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Oh, that's why? I read an article on Forbes speculating that maybe possibly that could have been the case, in theory.

I didn't know Google or Motorola had confirmed anything of that sort.
    It is just theory, they didn't confirm anything, but to me, it makes sense, especially since only US phones are made in the usa, others are made in China.

No company is gonna publicly say, yeah, we are making it in the usa mainly to circumvent the itc, like typical companies, they will put a spin on it...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Mine was assembled in the USA at someone moms house in Cali...

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

So that's why I've seen trucks coming in and little small packages going out across the street from me
    Hope they remember to put postage on them...