If the China version can have MicroSD card and dual sim card slots, why can't the US version?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If the China version can have MicroSD card and dual sim card slots, why can't the US version?

Sounds familiar? That's what HTC did with the HTC One... first they said they left out the MicroSD card slot in order to make it nice and thin... then a couple of months later they released the China version with MicroSD card slot....

:(

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Sounds familiar? That's what HTC did with the HTC One... first they said they left out the MicroSD card slot in order to make it nice and thin... then a couple of months later they released the China version with MicroSD card slot....

:(

Moto never said it can't. Here is why they don't use them.

Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It has to do with customer demands. Customers in Asia probably prioritize the sd card slot higher. Sure in the usa, some won't buy devices because of lack of sd card slot, but my guess would be that moto took a calculated risk and figured that the lack of sd card slot won't stop the vast majority of potential moto x customers from buying them.

Another way to look at it, if everyone refused to buy any device that didn't have a sd card slot, I can guarantee that manufacturers would immediately put them in.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You have to understand that everyone in the world doesn't use their phone the same. People in China, especially rural parts, are not looking to keep 100GB of biggie and Tupac on their phones. It has been discussed for a few different phones, that these attributes are necessity, not convenience, in very rural places like China.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Because carriers in the united states only want their phones to be used in the united states. It was actually a pretty big struggle for them just to introduce *some* world phones.

As for the microsd slot, those are old outdated tech. And while I understand the reasoning for some wanting them, it still doesn't excuse the fact that smartphones come with more than enough storage for most uses.

If you want to watch movies on your device, you should be using a tablet anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Because carriers in the united states only want their phones to be used in the united states. It was actually a pretty big struggle for them just to introduce *some* world phones.

As for the microsd slot, those are old outdated tech. And while I understand the reasoning for some wanting them, it still doesn't excuse the fact that smartphones come with more than enough storage for most uses.

If you want to watch movies on your device, you should be using a tablet anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The issue for me would be storage, if they offered 64gb model, then sd card is less of an issue.

Neither the current generation Nexus 7 or nexus 10 come with an sd card slot nor do they have 64gb option. Sure, i could get the ipad with retina display and go 128gb internal or there are other Android tablets that have sd card, but Google itself doesn't seem to want to promote on device storage with only 32gb options and no sd card on its current tablets.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure where you live but microSD is NOT old and outdated tech. I actually buy Samsung phones for the microSD. Since the US carriers refuse to sell versions with sufficient 64GB of internal storage a microSD is the best possible option for media, photo's and video capture. Now Samsung has gone a step further and added the ability to put Apps2SD back on their phones. Google may not want it but the users certainly do.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Because carriers in the united states only want their phones to be used in the united states.

can't really blame the carriers.... the US has the lowest percentage of citizens with valid passports, compared to other developed/developing countries.... it was even lower until passports became necessary for trips to Canada/Mexico/Caribbean....

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a reason Samsung sells more phones than anyone else. Why am I getting an S4, it delivers two of the main reasons I switched to Android two years ago. The new Moto phones are not even on my list.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes there is a reason Samsung sells more phones than anyone else. Why am I getting an S4, it delivers two of the main reasons I switched to Android two years ago. The new Moto phones are not even on my list.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

OMG. Been over this. Samsung sells due to marketing.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

smartphone185

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
[I am sorry if this is a duplicate, but I posted it once and I can't see it now.. so I wonder].

I'd like to buy an HTC One.. but the lack of memory card slot is preventing me from.
I see that through USB OTG all files except app data can be moved from (and back to) the phone to external memory units (usb memory, hard disk, computer).
But what about apps? If I want to own 150 paid apps, and keep 10 on the phone and 140 elsewhere.. is there a way I can do so?

Enrique2SIM

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Moto never said it can't. Here is why they don't use them.

Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

Hi,

That article was really helpful, I never thought about the idea of intent to promote cloud services by not including the Micro SD cards in the phones.

But if we leave out the Google devices and focus our attention in other brands, the only explanation for not including Micro SD cards in the handset might be the consumers preferences ... As somebody said in this thread, people from some countries may have different storage requirements in compare to people to other countries. Therefore, the brands develop their market investigations and produce their devices based on that insights.

Maybe the US market likes the devices without Micro SD cards.

Regards

Enrique2SIM

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know why Chinese phones have dual sim slots?

Posted via Android Central App

Hi,

Is just because in many countries where the Chinese manufacturers sell their products, the people like to use dual sim devices. As for instance: India, Southern and Western Asia and even Latin America.

Regards

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The carriers [ who are the manufacturer's REAL customers] have a financial interest in phones with smaller storage amounts. With the move away from unlimited data any data usage could ultimately add up and result in them being able to charge consumers for going over the max. They want us using online storage because then you are more likely to go over your data cap.

As for multiple sim slots, there is no financial interest for them to provide them. Removeable sim slots cost more money would cut into the profits said they can make on the equipment [We are conditioned to certain price increments]. It also gives users increased ability to switch carriers which is not in their interest.

as far As Moto goes, I would expect now that they are a google owned company, we will see them follow google design philosophy. The exception to this being when they are contracted to design a specific line of phones like they do with Verizon's droid line. In cases like these the specifications will likely be set by the carrier.