Moto X Battery Life

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
im not sure how i feel about battery life anymore. dont get me wrong, its an amazing, fast phone. its just beautiful and the best android phone.....but the battery life is starting to take a toll on me to where i know i have to charge it midday to make it last til night time when i get home. im going to give it a few more days as i only had it for the weekend with minimal use. its during the weekdays @ school/work is when i will really know how this will last me. currently its @ 51% on 19hrs running time. even if i end up getting rid of this...i wont know what to get as i dont want to go back to s4. i dont care for htc. i dont like the new droids, esp the ultra. so IFFFF i have to switch it may be the ultra maxx. $100 more for longer battery and memory. unless the next nexus can be the true savior and hopefully solve this issue. i can last another month or 2. le sigh

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
im not sure how i feel about battery life anymore. dont get me wrong, its an amazing, fast phone. its just beautiful and the best android phone.....but the battery life is starting to take a toll on me to where i know i have to charge it midday to make it last til night time when i get home. im going to give it a few more days as i only had it for the weekend with minimal use. its during the weekdays @ school/work is when i will really know how this will last me. currently its @ 51% on 19hrs running time. even if i end up getting rid of this...i wont know what to get as i dont want to go back to s4. i dont care for htc. i dont like the new droids, esp the ultra. so IFFFF i have to switch it may be the ultra maxx. $100 more for longer battery and memory. unless the next nexus can be the true savior and hopefully solve this issue. i can last another month or 2. le sigh

do you mean 9 waking hours maybe? cuz at 50% that would give you 38 hours.

and even at 9 hours @ 50% would be 18 hours hours awake, which is pretty good. From what i understand, people aren't getting that from either the HTC or the S4.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
so it's down to 51% after 19 hrs but you have to charge it every day at noon? I take it you use it all night?

LOL....i just realized how that sounded. i fully charged it yesterday afternoon and barely used it til today. as i mentioned, this week will be the ultimate test. what i shouldve really done was charge it last night to start testing it this morning. (im trying to condition the battery, thats why i dont want to keep charging it for nothing) today will pretty much not count. i use the phone mostly throughout the day with minimum use @ night.

@ paisley99....the hrs the phone has given me so far is amazing. but because the phone/battery is still new, this wont last long after a few months. im afraid of it turning into my gnex where i had to charge it 2-3 times day after 6 months of use.

hockeydude35

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to condition Lithium Ion batteries. In fact, if you're doing a deep drain of it (down to below 20% or so), you're probably causing it harm. You should put it on charge as often as possible.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to condition Lithium Ion batteries. In fact, if you're doing a deep drain of it (down to below 20% or so), you're probably causing it harm. You should put it on charge as often as possible.

Are you talking about only during initial battery charges? Because otherwise, I would exactly call going under 20% damaging your battery just as it isn?t by going over 80%. Over hundreds of charges it?s optimal to keep the battery btwn 20-80% just to lengthen the battery life, but it?s not exactly damaging the battery to often have it go below 20%.

Or at least this is what I understand from battery university site, if someone knows otherwise, please chime in. If i have a choice and i'm home i do like to keep Li-ion batteries btwn 20 & 80, but it's not that big a deal if you go below 20. I mean heck, if you keep your battery from losing 10% more charge than you would if you used a battery according to your needs you still be better off than going 20/80.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Recently it's been recommended to keep them topped off as much as is reasonably possible.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Recently it's been recommended to keep them topped off as much as is reasonably possible.

Gosh, it's so hard to know these days Battery universary guy says partial charge is best. i mean... these people need to make up their minds. lol. Although the top off is probably so it doesn't heat up when going from 10-90 etc.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, it's so hard to know these days Battery universary guy says partial charge is best. i mean... these people need to make up their minds. lol.

Agree. I think everyone's trying to keep up with changes to the tech.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Agree. I think everyone's trying to keep up with changes to the tech.

i follow this dude, i don't know if it's old or newer or what, but here it is if anyone's interested. : )

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

although edited above, b/c i do agree with the topping up, but that's been said forever. heating up batteries = bad news. but not sure if it's optimal for the battery to go 100%. Not sure about the latest news on that.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is how battery life works for me on this phone. For daily use: text, emails, phone calls, using a work related app for around 2 hours screen time. I am averaging 5 hours total screen time during the day. If I use an app like a game continuous type use, I can reach 7 hours screen time. Not sure why it is different, but it is.

I personally believe with the active notifications and always listening google now etc.. The phone will just have a bit of drain throughout the day. Hence people not believing the battery life. For example: if a person goes all day and the battery goes down to 30% remaining with only 2 plus hours screen on time, they do not believe they can reach 5-7 hours of screen time. They can, but it needs to be somewhat continuous use.

This phone has better battery life with real usage of any phone I have ever owned, except the Droid Series Maxx phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12