Moto X can't hear me say "listen" when using Assist while driving!

Paul Alvarez1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
When I have my Moto X connected to my car over bluetooth to listen to music or podcasts, it doesn't hear me say "listen" when it tells me I just received a text message. Almost like the microphone isn't working either on the bluetooth microphone in my car or the phone itself. I tested the microphone when sending a text message and it worked fine but doesn't work when Assist asks me too. Anyone else have this problem?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
try not using the "assist" feature, but placing a call over bluetooth in your car. That will at least tell you if it is the phone or your car microphone.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Also if the phone is in the cup holder ..mics on the phone could be blocked ..put it in someplace where you think mics are not blocked

Posted via Android Central App

Paul Alvarez1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X can't hear me say "listen" when using Assist while driving!

I tried sending a text with my voice in the messaging app and it worked fine. So I know that the car mic and the phone's mic do work.

- - - Updated - - -

I held it up to my mouth, not very safe I know, and it still did not recognize anything.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

for some reason, I thought it automatically read the text when in driving mode without saying anything....I assume this would be in the settings to do so...but not having the phone, I am going by something I read

Paul Alvarez1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have everything checked and it does work when I don't have it connected to my car via Bluetooth. When it is connected to my car via Bluetooth it is almost like the microphone can't hear me. So I know that it works I'm just having trouble making it work when I have it connect to my car via Bluetooth to listen to music.

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, but maybe if you have the voice listen button on your steering wheel for a regular bluetooth connection and the phone is connected to it, it may not hear you unless it's pressed.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I have my Moto X connected to my car over bluetooth to listen to music or podcasts, it doesn't hear me say "listen" when it tells me I just received a text message. Almost like the microphone isn't working either on the bluetooth microphone in my car or the phone itself. I tested the microphone when sending a text message and it worked fine but doesn't work when Assist asks me too. Anyone else have this problem?

What did you expect with such crappy specs. You may need to use BT headset or something.

Paul Alvarez1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
What did you expect with such crappy specs. You may need to use BT headset or something.

Haha what does specs have to do with the Bluetooth not working correctly? It has the same Bluetooth technology as many of the newest phones out currently so your statement makes no sense.

aflynnhpg

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My Moto X 2nd Gen started having this issue after upgrading to 5.0. Since the only change was the upgrade to the OS, that rules out noise in the vehicle.
Assist works fine when not connected to Bluetooth, it can hear me say "Listen". I think it's an application level issue and I think that Assist is not using bluetooth as an audio source.
I checked with Motorola Support and they had not solution, they suggested uninstalling and re-installing Assist.

Last edited:

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem on my Moto maxx. Used to work wonderfully and after the last round of updates to the apps weeks or months ago, it can't ever hear me in my car when it used to work flawlessly.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
After a big update like Lollipop, a factory reset has a high chance of fixing any problems. You get a clean slate.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
After a big update like Lollipop, a factory reset has a high chance of fixing any problems. You get a clean slate.

If you update to Android 5 and then factory rest, won't the phone go back to the original States out if the box.....bringing it back to Kirtkat 444?

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

If you update to Android 5 and then factory rest, won't the phone go back to the original States out if the box.....bringing it back to Kirtkat 444?
Sorry, let me clarify. The full phrase is Factory Data Reset. The phone will look like brand new out of the box, but it retains system updates. In other words, no, you won't go back to Kit Kat if you're already on Lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae