Buying the Moto X Motomaker card off contract

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck buying the Motomaker card off contract? I have an ATT account, but I have been told, on no uncertain terms, that I cannot buy the Motomaker card for full retail, off contract.

Ever.

The sales people kept telling me over and over that they were getting e-mails from corporate that they can only sell the cards with upgrades. Which is ludicrous, I know, but the only way they will sell it to me is through an upgrade. Unfortunately, that is the only way I can get the 32 GB version, since it's a Motomaker exclusive. Anyone else had different luck than I have? I'm not including ATT Next, that's a whole 'nother beast.

I have ATT refusing to sell me the card, and someone I know that works for Motorola right now that is not really happy that the company he works for basically lost sales because ATT has screwed up the launch.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Go back down there and show them the sign where you can buy one at retail. If they still refuse, ask for contact information for their Regional Manager. Bypass the DM. I'm a retail guy, when you start going above heads, you'll find resolution.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
at the moment you only get Motomaker card with ATT contract. with full retail you wont get that option. I know its lame blame ATT for that.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
They wouldn't even let me buy the black phone off contract when I went. Had to start a new line and cancel my old one. I even saved $60 bucks from what it would have cost off contact even after my cancelation fee. So not all was bad but still, they've always let me buy off contract when I want to.

Sent from my Moto X

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I spent an hour with a salesman on Friday and he tried every trick he could think of to let me purchase the phone full retail and get a moto maker card. Their system would not allow a moto maker purchase without a contract.

Sent from my Nexus 7

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
eaiest thing to do is what im doing...sign up for the Moto X on an ATT Next plan, buy your phone, when you get the phone, pay off the balance. You are then paying for the full price of the phone and you have no remaining term on your contract

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
eaiest thing to do is what im doing...sign up for the Moto X on an ATT Next plan, buy your phone, when you get the phone, pay off the balance. You are then paying for the full price of the phone and you have no remaining term on your contract

I do now remember the salesperson gave me that option.

Sent from my Nexus 7

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Go back down there and show them the sign where you can buy one at retail. If they still refuse, ask for contact information for their Regional Manager. Bypass the DM. I'm a retail guy, when you start going above heads, you'll find resolution.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

You cannot buy Motomaker cards off contract. It isn't something the DM or regional manager can do because it is not even possible in their systems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
What if you are on contract but not upgrade eligible? Then can you buy a customized one at full retail? Can't use Next because I am not upgrade eligible so full retail is the only way I can go...

Posted via Android Central App

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Not right now. You can thank AT&T's brilliant exclusivity contract agreement for that.

Posted via the AC App from my N7v2 or HTC One

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just add a new line order the phone, when you get the phone sim swap and cancel the line....penalty will be the remaining cost of the phone...so your basically paying full retail price...

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I just ordered my custom Moto X on Motomaker.com today with off-contract pricing. I still had to put in my AT&T number, but I was able to buy the phone at full retail price without issues. Mine will be taking 8 days, unfortunately.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if you can now purchase a Motomaker card off contract?

You've been able to for 2 weeks almost. I bought mine this way directly from website. When you check out you select no contract. I think that's what you are taking about. No card is necessary.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You've been able to for 2 weeks almost. I bought mine this way directly from website. When you check out you select no contract. I think that's what you are taking about. No card is necessary.

No, I am looking for the card. I know you can do it from the website, but I cannot use the website because I'm in Canada and the website will not accept non-US credit cards. I am going to be in Seattle next week and was planning to pick up a card and then customize it on the Motomaker site.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, I am looking for the card. I know you can do it from the website, but I cannot use the website because I'm in Canada and the website will not accept non-US credit cards. I am going to be in Seattle next week and was planning to pick up a card and then customize it on the Motomaker site.

It should be available from the att stores, yes.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech