Moto X Costs $221 To Build

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems about right. The iPhone 5 was $207, gs4 was $234 . Before this release, i guessed that it would be somewhere between the two. remember though that this is strictly bom. Doesn't include engineering, transportation, profit, marketing, etc.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
sounds about right. iphone,S4 and HTC one fall around the same price range.

also it cost Moto additional $4-5 since its assembled in the USA.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
sounds about right. iphone,S4 and HTC one fall around the same price range.

also it cost Moto additional $4-5 since its assembled in the USA.

Yeah, i thought that manufacturing in the us would be much higher, going from $7-8 in Asia to $12 in usa is certainly substantial, but I just thought that it would be more

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, i thought that manufacturing in the us would be much higher, going from $7-8 in Asia to $12 in usa is certainly substantial, but I just thought that it would be more

thought it would be more as well, more like 6-8ish

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My guess is it's because it's only the final assembly that's done in the US. If they keep that down to a few minutes per phone then they can keep that difference relatively low. If they were to make all of the PCB's and everything here I'd guess it would be significantly higher.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ZOMG! Motorola and Google better sell them for $230 without a contract!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not going to happen. Include packaging + Head Phone + Charger + Shipping + labor Cost + marketing + Android Development Cost + Support and many other hidden costs

Of course I know that. Others don't though. ;)

Like Google doesn't subsidize the Nexus 4..

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Not going to happen. Include packaging + Head Phone + Charger + Shipping + labor Cost + marketing + Android Development Cost + Support and many other hidden costs

throw the phone into a plastic bag that was recycled from a Major store, dont give me any Accessories, dont need box art or anything else.. and sell me the damn thing for $300.. i'll be happy as can be.. PLUS! it'd sell off the shelves lol. Oh, and i dont need support.

Hell make it $350 with the support and accessories, still be happy.. Not $500+ -.-

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
R & D sunk costs spread over fewer units sold alone make margins slimmer than the S4, especially when you consider the lower ooc price. If anything, moto is possibly undercharging us.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
throw the phone into a plastic bag that was recycled from a Major store, dont give me any Accessories, dont need box art or anything else.. and sell me the damn thing for $300.. i'll be happy as can be.. PLUS! it'd sell off the shelves lol. Oh, and i dont need support.
My guess is you've only knocked ~$50 off the price of the phone that way, not $250. The box art is super cheap per phone, most of those accessories don't cost them that much and the packaging is really cheap, too. It's the R&D and up front costs like tooling, compliance testing and what not that they have to make up. You also can't get past the distribution, customs and requirements to actually make money that are all factored in as well.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that it was ALOT cheaper to build devices due to mass manufacture, bulk bought parts and etc. The profit margin is extremely low for manufacturers. Does anyone know what the carriers pay per device?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that it was ALOT cheaper to build devices due to mass manufacture, bulk bought parts and etc.
It is. Those prices reflect the volume they expect. If you were to make 10 phones instead of millions that BOM cost would skyrocket.

The profit margin is extremely low for manufacturers.
Is it? I honestly don't know if it is or not. I'd guess it's fairly low considering the volume they sell, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were higher than some other electronics. Granted it also wouldn't surprise me if it were razor thin. I don't really have an idea of how they price all that stuff.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante