Moto X best feature - Active Display

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

Posted via Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

One thing I felt misled by with every review was that the phone had to be screen down, then flipped over to have the active notification to "breathe." But, as you point out, if it is sitting screen up, all you need to do is nudge the phone a bit and it activates the notification. That is VERY cool, IMO.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
One thing I felt misled by with every review was that the phone had to be screen down, then flipped over to have the active notification to "breathe." But, as you point out, if it is sitting screen up, all you need to do is nudge the phone a bit and it activates the notification. That is VERY cool, IMO.

Misled? I wouldn't say so.

You just put your phone down and put it to sleep. Why would it need to start breathing right away? You *just* put it down.

As soon as a new notification pings, it starts breathing. Or, yes. Motion will trigger it.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

I agree pulling out of pocket and instantly seeing time is pretty great.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol at being misled.

You have to watch out for those reviewers, they are out to get you.

spmode

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to buying it when it's released in the Play Store, but I was wondering how the whole "not pushing a button" thing differs from Gravity Screen app in the Play Store?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Misled? I wouldn't say so.

You just put your phone down and put it to sleep. Why would it need to start breathing right away? You *just* put it down.

As soon as a new notification pings, it starts breathing. Or, yes. Motion will trigger it.

What I mean is that I thought the time display would only appear (when no notifications were present) if the phone was screen down and the user would flip it over to look at the screen. I just think its even better that if it is idle but screen up, you can just nudge it or pick it up-even just one corner-and the display will show the time and unlock icon. When I read through all the reviews, they seemed to focus on how the notifications would drive that; this neat little part just didn't seem to stand out during my readings. Not a big deal--but a very need fully-thought-out idea on Moto's part!

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to buying it when it's released in the Play Store, but I was wondering how the whole "not pushing a button" thing differs from Gravity Screen app in the Play Store?

The active notifications doesn't turn on the entire screen. It only light us a portion of the screen to show the time and whether you have any notifications. From this area you can do nothing or get a preview of the last notification. You also have the ability to dismiss notifications without turning on the display (does not dismiss from the notification tray).

Sent from my Nexus 7

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol at being misled.

You have to watch out for those reviewers, they are out to get you.

Poor choice of words on my part. I thought that part of the way the X handles itself was just not clearly explained, if at all. But it is a tiny part of the much bigger picture reviewers have to provide. So I look at it as a very neat "bonus" to all the other info the reviewers were able to highlight. You guys are taking my comment a little too harshly. LOL

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Active Display is a killer feature. I like the way Motorola is going, cutting back on all bloats and include feature which is really useful without modifying Android(as an app)

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but doesn't it come unlocked in your pocket easily? If my screen is turned on in my pocket on my nexus 4, it always comes unlocked, as I've learned from turning off my bluetooth headset that for some reason always turns on the screen

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but doesn't it come unlocked in your pocket easily? If my screen is turned on in my pocket on my nexus 4, it always comes unlocked, as I've learned from turning off my bluetooth headset that for some reason always turns on the screen

The point of the Contextual processor is that it can accurately compile data from the sensors even even the phone is asleep so that the screen does not turn on when the phone is in your pocket or upside down on a table.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please answer these questions: If Moto X is sitting face up on a desk, how often does it "breathe" (without nudging it). Second, is there still a notification LED? Thanks!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The point of the Contextual processor is that it can accurately compile data from the sensors even even the phone is asleep so that the screen does not turn on when the phone is in your pocket or upside down on a table.

Cool, I always wondered why they didn't use the proximity sensor to determine if the phone was in your pocket or not. Nothing is more annoying than having your phone pocket dialing, or even pocket purchasing! I bought an app from the Amazon app store in my pocket once. Luckily they refunded me the money

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Anopy1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone run into the active notifications not working? It works for a while and then no matter what I do, the "notifications" won't come on. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I can put it face down and pick it back up and still nothing?

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Those questions have already been answered several times. Try searching next time.

1. There is no notification LED.
2. Active Notification screen on/off time: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/307078-picked-one-up-today-canada-5.html#post3014156
I did search. Every review is too enamored with the active display to answer the basic question. Plus in the video made by AC it looks like there is something blinking next to the earpiece. Thanks for the answer.

crnkoj

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

This is just so pathetic, Nokia had the same feature years before Motorola has it now on the X. The device im talking about is the N9 and its Meego OS, it had it all, but noone talked about it back than, now everyone talks about it as if its the next discovery of the Americas ... Such ignorance

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This is just so pathetic, Nokia had the same feature years before Motorola has it now on the X. The device im talking about is the N9 and its Meego OS, it had it all, but noone talked about it back than, now everyone talks about it as if its the next discovery of the Americas ... Such ignorance

It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Take it easy, big guy. The Moto X's Active Display is certainly less cumbersome. They combined the notification and lock screens.

Just be happy you know more than everyone else, I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad