How do you think this phone will perform a year ow two from now?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much I think I've decided on the moto x, but one thing that's making me a little worried is how the phone is going to perform in a year or two. I plan to use the phone for atleast a year and a half or a bit more (closer to two years probaly) and am worried that maybe it's internals won't be able to keep up with whatever new stuff android has.

Do you guys forsee this phone feeling obsolete in a years time? Or is its dual core special architecture able to withstand the test of time?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much I think I've decided on the moto x, but one thing that's making me a little worried is how the phone is going to perform in a year or two. I plan to use the phone for atleast a year and a half or a bit more (closer to two years probaly) and am worried that maybe it's internals won't be able to keep up with whatever new stuff android has.

Do you guys forsee this phone feeling obsolete in a years time? Or is its dual core special architecture able to withstand the test of time?

My take is that the obsolescence factor is raised whenever a manufacturer installs their own skin on top of Android (see Samsung Touchwiz). This kind of bloat (IMO) is primarily responsible for the performance issues related to Android-based devices. I also read that Google is focusing on ensuring future versions of Android keep running smoothly on older devices. The fact that the Moto X is for all intents and purposes, a stock Android device with a few additional features thrown it leads me to believe that it would have a longer shelf life than most others (maybe with the exception of the Nexus line).

In short, I think the hardware can handle it. My concern is Motorola - in the past, they've burned owners by not providing upgrades (Motorola Atrix). Hopefully, with the change in ownership to Google, this is no longer a problem.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Look at it this way, the phone has a dualcore processor at a time when the high end options are saturated with devices that have quadcore processors and it is the smoothest Android available and handles games like a champ while the other phones chug along with lag and input lag; it would be more feasible to worry about how the other phones will hold up over time.

Sent from my Moto X via Android Central app

Last edited:

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I would suggest you to read Anand tech review ..to get a perspective of Motorola engineering and design decisions ..moto has done some interesting stuff optimizing android for the chipset, they have also optimized system io performance for faster file system read write ..moto x already supports advanced version of trim compared to what android has in 4.3 ..all these should keep moto x immune to sluggishness in longterm

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.3 is smoother than 4.2.2 and google is optimizing Android to be faster, smoother, secure and with better design in mind.

Ny Nexus 4 was good with 4.2 but with 4.2.2 and 4.3 my device perform better.

since Moto X is pure stock with some additional features(Apps) it should improve like the Nexus

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
they have also optimized system io performance for faster file system read write ..moto x already supports advanced version of trim compared to what android has in 4.3 ..all these should keep moto x immune to sluggishness in longterm
Winner winner chicken dinner.

This is actually what I'm most excited about going forward.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
To tell you the truth I have never owned a phone longer than a year, android or iPhone. The build quality of the Moto X is superb along with the nice clean android I would think that this thing could go two years without a hitch. Software and hardware. If the Nexus 5 is in fact a 5in screen then I am holding tight with the Moto X.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Android 4.3 is smoother than 4.2.2 and google is optimizing Android to be faster, smoother, secure and with better design in mind.

Ny Nexus 4 was good with 4.2 but with 4.2.2 and 4.3 my device perform better.

since Moto X is pure stock with some additional features(Apps) it should improve like the Nexus

Winner winner chicken dinner.

This is actually what I'm most excited about going forward.

I agree. I can't wait to see how the Moto X performs with 4.3

To tell you the truth I have never owned a phone longer than a year, android or iPhone. The build quality of the Moto X is superb along with the nice clean android I would think that this thing could go two years without a hitch. Software and hardware. If the Nexus 5 is in fact a 5in screen then I am holding tight with the Moto X.

I've done the same thing. The Moto X is one phone I can see myself holding onto longer, especially if this custimization thing doesn't last (which I hope it does).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish