How Durable Will The Moto X Be w/o Case/Skin

Solo118

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

I finally decided the iphone 5 has to go, and it does not look like the 5S will be anything spectacular (not to mention iOS is getting way past long in the tooth!). The Moto X is the one I chose, for size, battery life and hopefully a decent camera!

I have always hated how the iphone was so fragile and I always had to have a case or skin so it would not slip out of my hand or scratch the aluminum just by doing my normal activities. This of course is just one gripe I had, but I want to enjoy my new phone in a naked state (save for screen protector)

I was looking to see if anyone can comment if the body of the Moto X will be prone to scratching from daily use (putting in my pocket, sitting on my work desk, etc) I am not very clumsy, but I have been known to drop a phone once in a while. I know the phone has been out for only a week but if anyone can comment on the durability I would greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the screen, I have always been an advocate of screen protectors so I already have a Skinomi on the way via Amazon. If anyone has a better option please let me know, or if anyone thinks this gorilla glass is as good as it claims, maybe I will keep it naked as well!

Thank you in advance, I look forward to my first full time droid!

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'll be putting a TPU case on mine...If nothing else, it keeps the screen from being the contact point when you drop the phone.

Screen protectors...meh...not a big fan of those...but that's just me, I guess. :)

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey All,

I finally decided the iphone 5 has to go, and it does not look like the 5S will be anything spectacular (not to mention iOS is getting way past long in the tooth!). The Moto X is the one I chose, for size, battery life and hopefully a decent camera!

I have always hated how the iphone was so fragile and I always had to have a case or skin so it would not slip out of my hand or scratch the aluminum just by doing my normal activities. This of course is just one gripe I had, but I want to enjoy my new phone in a naked state (save for screen protector)

I was looking to see if anyone can comment if the body of the Moto X will be prone to scratching from daily use (putting in my pocket, sitting on my work desk, etc) I am not very clumsy, but I have been known to drop a phone once in a while. I know the phone has been out for only a week but if anyone can comment on the durability I would greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the screen, I have always been an advocate of screen protectors so I already have a Skinomi on the way via Amazon. If anyone has a better option please let me know, or if anyone thinks this gorilla glass is as good as it claims, maybe I will keep it naked as well!

Thank you in advance, I look forward to my first full time droid!

Here is a video posted online of a durability test to the moto x. However, note that sand/rocks is stronger than metal and can scratch the screen of any phone. Sand can be found in pockets, tables, and almost any common area in the household. As for the back, I think a case will the defeat the purpose of elegant curves and comfort of the phone. My recommendation is to put screen protection on the moto x to prevent scratching, and avoid keys and knives for the back. I think the phone could handle a drop considering a hammer hit it pretty well. If not, purchase the insurance from motorola or at&t.

Edit: this video makes me want to do karate chop!!! WAAAAHHHHH!!!!

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Here is a video posted online of a durability test to the moto x. However, note that sand/rocks is stronger than metal and can scratch the screen of any phone. Sand can be found in pockets, tables, and almost any common area in the household. As for the back, I think a case will the defeat the purpose of elegant curves and comfort of the phone. My recommendation is to put screen protection on the moto x to prevent scratching, and avoid keys and knives for the back. I think the phone could handle a drop considering a hammer hit it pretty well. If not, purchase the insurance from motorola or at&t.

Moto X Hammer & Knife Scratch Test - YouTube

That video made me cringe.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

yup, 2nd. someone here already said they scratched their screen by spinning it on a table.

And so far out of tons of scouring online regarding the wet apply plastic screens, phantom skinz always comes out on top as far as look and feel. iirc, when i check all this vs. that, it was considered better than Skinomi, but i will double check that, i posted it somewhere. Sometimes they do great codes.

(ah, found the link where i actually placed skinomi myself based on comparison information all over the internet, but the bulk of the post is from a person on the formerly PreCentral when he actually compared a handful of SPs)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ca...stions-good-screen-protector.html#post3003455

not affiliated, i just always sing their praises since i've used them since my gross experience of using a zagg. lol. and love them.

Last edited:

Solo118

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Moto X Hammer & Knife Scratch Test - YouTube

yup, 2nd. someone here already said they scratched their screen by spinning it on a table.

And so far out of tons of scouring online regarding the wet apply plastic screens, phantom skinz always comes out on top as far as look and feel. iirc, when i check all this vs. that, it was considered better than Skinomi, but i will double check that, i posted it somewhere. Sometimes they do great codes.

(ah, found the link where i actually placed skinomi myself based on comparison information all over the internet, but the bulk of the post is from a person on the formerly PreCentral when he actually compared a handful of SPs)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ca...stions-good-screen-protector.html#post3003455

not affiliated, i just always sing their praises since i've used them since my gross experience of using a zagg. lol. and love them.

Awesome info! Thanks guys!!

I will keep the back naked, and get myself a screen protector :)

Phone will be here today, screen protector might take a couple of days via Amazon. I will look at the phantom skinz if I can cancel the skinomi order (or just leave it as a backup it only cost $3)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Awesome info! Thanks guys!!

I will keep the back naked, and get myself a screen protector :)

Phone will be here today, screen protector might take a couple of days via Amazon. I will look at the phantom skinz if I can cancel the skinomi order (or just leave it as a backup it only cost $3)

One word of warning, PS is a b--ch to apply. A person would have to read through posts online about the best way, utilize every single tip and take time to get it right. : ). Fortunately they come 2 in a package.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the screen protectors through Verizon. They are the solid ones that go on without water. The first two immediately attracted dust, but I got the 3rd one on almost perfectly. It's like a millimeter or two too narrow to cover teh whole screen, kinda stupid. My Rezound screen got scratched to hell when I was driving on the beach with the phone in my pocket. Apparently some sand got in there and bam, scratches everywhere. Not taking that chance again.

As far as the back, I ordered a super slim hard case for the back just to protect it a bit. We'll see if I like it or not. I have the white X and I've found the back likes to pick up stains fairly easily.

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I usually get an OtterBox case when I buy a new phone (because my work environment can be a bit rough), but thought that the clear cases shown on the Moto Maker site were pretty cool. Still waiting to buy my Moto (contract, don't you know) which gives me time to evaluate which way to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc