Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Pondering

    I still have til Sept 6 on my HTC One 14 days before I can exchange for another phone. I like the HTC One for the most part but it's kinda big for me. My hands are small so, it's real big and feels heavy in my pants pocket. I also have issues with the volume buttons when holding the phone. If you hold the phone wrong the vol button goes up everytime when you don't want it to. I did find a case that solved the issue temporary. I don't want it to be caseless, if I drop it. It get damaged.
    Also, charging the phone, the charging cord part is so hard to put in the slot. My iphone had no issues. I need a good screen cause my eyesight is not to good. I know you can resize the text but sometimes that looks worse.

    I read lots of reviews pro/con for the Moto X but most part people love the phone. The one thing is that it feels great in the hand. One reviewer I saw during the whole show he couldn't put the phone out of his hand.

    I am worried about 16G. I don't play alot of games but I do have a few albums and music I have on the One. I do have a few movies on the One. Mainly I have all the games, movies on my Galaxy Note 8.0. Don't really care about the camera, I mostly put my pics on facebook or instagram. I don't have a printer and if I did wouldn't print them out anyway. As long as it works good, and doesn't have a billion options it work.

    I know nothing about the cloud or even Google Music to store your music.

    I can't wait til later this year if I want this phone, cause I gotta wait 2 years. I am not doing the month to month buy a new phone every 6 months. I being paying double.

    I can't switch carriers, I have family plan and 5 people on my plan. It be a pain to switch all of us over. Verizon is the only carrier I had great reception in. Sprint sucked and I have friends with AT&T have issues at times. At the beach no carrier worked but Verizon that I had.

    Don't care much for the Moto Maker. It be hard to sell your phone if you chose a off the wall cover. Might be hard to sell.

    What would you suggest? Thanks for any comments that might help me in either way keeping the HTC One or going for the Moto X.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: Pondering

    BTW anyone have the black Moto X. How the look and feel over the white one?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Pondering

    I had an S3..kept it for a long time. Have been running 4.3 on it. Runs great...signal is meh. I'm up for an upgrade and the S3 can still be sold for a few bucks so I picked the One up on launch day...unfortunately I didn't try to unlock it until the next morning, but it was too late. I don't like Sense...don't care if it's the new sense or the old sense...don't like overlays. Nova Launcher helps, but for some reason those damned icons in the settings menu really bother me (First World Problems?)

    Anyway, I really liked a lot of things about the phone. The screen was dynamite...the build was great and it looked awesome. The speakers were my favorite part. I didn't like Sense, and I didn't like the camera...I feel my S3 took better snaps.

    I returned it after a few days, because I really wanted to try out the Moto X before I made a final decision.

    Just got my X in this morning. The screen looks just as good to me (had my buddy at the next cube who has a One come over and toggled thru some stuff with both phones). Some say you can tell a difference, I thought they both looked great. Size wise it's fantastic. The screen ends up being a little smaller because of the on-screen buttons...but it's a trade-off I'm willing to take...love on-screen buttons...they change with the app, so when you need them, they're there. The speaker is loud, but not as good...which is just a given. The software is dynamite. LOVE LOVE LOVE the basically stock android. I haven't had too much chance to play with Assist yet, touchless control is a little gimmicky but fun (What is ####'s Kevin Back #? is always fun) and dynamic notifications are stellar.

    The camera, I'm waiting to judge...that's a make it or break it for me. I have a little one at home and take TONS of pics on the fly...I need a good camera on my phone. Going to do a photo shoot with the lil guy and the pups after work and will report back...
    dad2paisley likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Don't like Sense. First thing I did was make Sense not my home screen. Another thing the One can't do is move screens. It won't let you do that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post

    The camera, I'm waiting to judge...that's a make it or break it for me. I have a little one at home and take TONS of pics on the fly...I need a good camera on my phone. Going to do a photo shoot with the lil guy and the pups after work and will report back...
    Can't wait to see how that goes for you.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
    I know nothing about the cloud or even Google Music to store your music.
    The way that works is you upload all of your songs (up to 20,000 of them) to Google Music. You can then access them from any device that has the Google Music app (pretty much any Android phone or on the web) as long as you have an internet connection. If you're using WiFi, this won't count against your monthly data allotment. If you are on mobile data, it will count against your monthly data allotment. To know how much data it will use you can check the size of a song and see about how much data you'll use when you play it.

    You can also "pin" (download) songs to your phone. Downloading them uses data just like playing songs, but only one time. After that the song is on your device and you can play it without using any data. So you'll have to see how much empty space you have on your phone and how many songs you can fit on there at once.

    Depending on how you listen to music it could be an excellent or terrible way to manage your music. If you only need a few albums at a time, don't use a lot of data or listen to a lot of songs, or usually listen to music when you have a WiFi connection it's awesome. If you have limited storage, limited data, listen to a lot of music or spend time in areas with little to no reception, it's probably not very good.
    dad2paisley likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Pondering

    I have unlimited plan. I don't upload too many songs or albums. I have 5 now on my phone at the moment.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Pondering

    If you install Nova Launcher, you have a lot more options. I install that on everything.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    If you install Nova Launcher, you have a lot more options. I install that on everything.
    I played around with different launchers.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Pondering

    I decided to stay with my HTC One. The Moto X 16G and no custom of the phone til later for verizon(and who knows when that be). I do like the black one but I need storage. They will probably have an new phone in the future and when my contract is up, who knows what phones will be available. Technology for phones is going so fast.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Pondering

    It's true...the One is a nice phone. The guy in the next office has one and he loves it. It's a great phone. Man I love those front facing speakers!
    dad2paisley likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Pondering

    The more I play around with the one, only had for 12 days, the more I like.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    camera, I'm waiting to judge...that's a make it or break it for me. I have a little one at home and take TONS of pics on the fly...I need a good camera on my phone. Going to do a photo shoot with the lil guy and the pups after work and will report back...
    Let me know your thoughts on this. I'm kind of a phone w h o r e and have an S4 and a One right now but I'm debating on getting rid of them for the X. My main two issues are storage (on Verizon and don't have the 32gb option) and camera. I have a 10 month old daughter that I take a ton of pics of so I really prefer the best camera I can get. Thanks, I appreciate it.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
    I still have til Sept 6 on my HTC One 14 days before I can exchange for another phone. I like the HTC One for the most part but it's kinda big for me. My hands are small so, it's real big and feels heavy in my pants pocket. I also have issues with the volume buttons when holding the phone. If you hold the phone wrong the vol button goes up everytime when you don't want it to. I did find a case that solved the issue temporary. I don't want it to be caseless, if I drop it. It get damaged.
    Also, charging the phone, the charging cord part is so hard to put in the slot. My iphone had no issues. I need a good screen cause my eyesight is not to good. I know you can resize the text but sometimes that looks worse.

    I read lots of reviews pro/con for the Moto X but most part people love the phone. The one thing is that it feels great in the hand. One reviewer I saw during the whole show he couldn't put the phone out of his hand.

    I am worried about 16G. I don't play alot of games but I do have a few albums and music I have on the One. I do have a few movies on the One. Mainly I have all the games, movies on my Galaxy Note 8.0. Don't really care about the camera, I mostly put my pics on facebook or instagram. I don't have a printer and if I did wouldn't print them out anyway. As long as it works good, and doesn't have a billion options it work.

    I know nothing about the cloud or even Google Music to store your music.

    I can't wait til later this year if I want this phone, cause I gotta wait 2 years. I am not doing the month to month buy a new phone every 6 months. I being paying double.

    I can't switch carriers, I have family plan and 5 people on my plan. It be a pain to switch all of us over. Verizon is the only carrier I had great reception in. Sprint sucked and I have friends with AT&T have issues at times. At the beach no carrier worked but Verizon that I had.

    Don't care much for the Moto Maker. It be hard to sell your phone if you chose a off the wall cover. Might be hard to sell.

    What would you suggest? Thanks for any comments that might help me in either way keeping the HTC One or going for the Moto X.
    Return the HTC one and pick up a 16GB Moto X from Verizon. Use it for 14 days. Maybe they will have the 32 GB model by then.
    dad2paisley likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Pondering

    RE: Camera, there are reports from a big shot Moto blogger, that camera improvements are coming "soon".
    dad2paisley likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Pondering

    I don't have kids, so it's probably why, but I never come close to using 16GB on my phones. I use about 8GB. I use slacker radio, and I can just cache stations, and, I don't take a lot of pics. Most of the time I listen to podcasts. The ONE is a beautiful phone, and I have played with it a little bit in the store. The speakers are amazing, it's to bad that Beats audio, wants to buy back the technology from HTC. I ended up with the Moto x, because of the google buy out, the real close to stock UI, and touchless feature, which comes in really handy for me, because I drive tractor trailer, and need that hands free ability. I hope google adds the ability to send text though. I also can't stop holding it, and looking at the screen. I got the black version, because to me it lets the almost edge to edge display really shine. Now the only thing I can hope for, is timely updates (fingers crossed)
    dad2paisley likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Pondering

    You can only order on line now for the moto x for verizon. If I bought one I have to ship my old phone and so forth. I saw a good reviewer last night who gave a good review on the moto x but said he wait if you can't customize and some of the features don't work all the time i.e. camera flip, ok google now..
    I stick with my One for now.
  18. #18  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    959 Posts
    Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
    You can only order on line now for the moto x for verizon. If I bought one I have to ship my old phone and so forth. I saw a good reviewer last night who gave a good review on the moto x but said he wait if you can't customize and some of the features don't work all the time i.e. camera flip, ok google now..
    I stick with my One for now.
    It's been in Verizon stores now for almost a week.

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Not in my local stores. The last time I called 4 stores yesterday, they said only online and they had no idea when they would get in the stores. I been calling around since the moto x came out.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Talked to a verizon rep. Still not in stores. So she asked if any phones are due for upgrade? I said 2 were on my family plan. I know my sister is not a gadget person and her phone she has is just for phone calls(dumb phone). I know she won't wanna upgrade, I told her she was up for upgrade and she said, No. I like the phone I have.
    So we tranferred her upgrade to my number and I was able to purchase the black moto x. I also got a coupon for $30 off. When the phone comes, I will have another 14 day trial and maybe by then the 32G will be out. The phone should arrive around the 17Sept.

    Now, where can I go to sell my HTC One? I know ebay but any online places.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Pondering

    It was a $50 discount coupon!!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Pondering

    Quote Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
    Talked to a verizon rep. Still not in stores. So she asked if any phones are due for upgrade? I said 2 were on my family plan. I know my sister is not a gadget person and her phone she has is just for phone calls(dumb phone). I know she won't wanna upgrade, I told her she was up for upgrade and she said, No. I like the phone I have.
    So we tranferred her upgrade to my number and I was able to purchase the black moto x. I also got a coupon for $30 off. When the phone comes, I will have another 14 day trial and maybe by then the 32G will be out. The phone should arrive around the 17Sept.

    Now, where can I go to sell my HTC One? I know ebay but any online places.
    There is a market place in the forums on android central. I have my nexus 4 up for sale on it now.

    Posted via Android Central App
    dad2paisley likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
  2. Blackberry user pondering a change
    By cmarcus3031 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM
  3. Do I really need a new phone? (Upgrade ponderings)
    By blaidth in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 06:54 AM
  4. Soak Test - Official update ponderings
    By BasPilot in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
  5. Pondering VM over Sprint
    By jefboyardee in forum Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions