Can Moto X camera be fixed with OTA updates?

turbotooslow

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I have searched the forums for this answer but havent really found one.

As I understand it, the Moto X camera is below average, but not horrible. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I've also heard the hardware is good and it's simply the software that is holding it back. Again, not sure if this is accurate, but I read it in more than one place.

My questions is...does anyone know about the hardware/software problem I am talking about? Can the Moto X camera be improved through OTA updates? Also, has Moto addressed the problem and said they will update it OTA?

Thanks guys!

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Can it? Yes. Will it? If Motorola's history is any indication, then no. But this is their first flagship device since their acquisition by Google. I'm also not sure if it's something they'd do OTA.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with the Galaxy Nexus I firmly believe it can be. And since the X is such a high profile device for Googorola, I firmly believe it will be. They can't afford not to do so.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure moto will take care of it. This is the best device I've used in a long time and my only qualm with it so far is the camera.

Sent from my Moto X

psh_vermont

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Moto X for a couple weeks, after the camera software fix was uploaded. So I never experienced the original camera that got so badly savaged in early reviews of the phone.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Moto X camera. In good light, photos are as good or better than my point-and-shoot. Low light can be a challenge, but some low light shots have been surprisingly good. I think it takes very good shots, better than any other camera I've had.

I really like the "shake" gesture that starts the camera up -- I shake it as I take it out of my pocket and it's ready to shoot by the time it gets up to my eye -- so I've caught some pretty fast shots that way. The one negative -- the pinch-to-zoom seems inconsistent -- sometimes it shoots a picture when I have two fingers on it trying to zoom. (But then I realize -- why zoom since it's only a digital process? Maybe better to crop later since the "zoom" is really just cropping the larger photo anyway.)

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Based on my experience with the Galaxy Nexus I firmly believe it can be. And since the X is such a high profile device for Googorola, I firmly believe it will be. They can't afford not to do so.

"Googorola" - I like that!!

Posted via Android Central App

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure moto will take care of it. This is the best device I've used in a long time and my only qualm with it so far is the camera.

Sent from my Moto X

Ditto!! They added the camera app to the play store so they can push updates to it without OTA updates that could be carrier blocked. Makes me think they will tinker with it over time. What a great phone, seriously!!!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Brian Ney

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone can answer this for me. I was actually lucky to get one of the Cyber Monday reservations. The only thing that is holding me back from placing my order is the camera. I am currently using an iPhone 5, and the camera is really good. I have 2 young boys, so I want to have a phone that has a camera that will capture good shots of them on a consistent basis. Will the Moto X be able to do this? I can't really test this out before purchasing, so any experience will be welcome! Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone can answer this for me. I was actually lucky to get one of the Cyber Monday reservations. The only thing that is holding me back from placing my order is the camera. I am currently using an iPhone 5, and the camera is really good. I have 2 young boys, so I want to have a phone that has a camera that will capture good shots of them on a consistent basis. Will the Moto X be able to do this? I can't really test this out before purchasing, so any experience will be welcome! Thanks

AnandTech | Moto X Update Dramatically Improves Camera Quality

camera app is now on playstore and updating it is easy.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Have the X and an iphone 5S here. The X Camera is pretty good now, but if you are expecting 5 or 5S quality then maybe not. I would not trade my moto x for anything, but the 5S camera is AWESOME.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that's been disappointing to me is not being able to keep fingerprints off the camera lens. When I shake to wake the camera up quickly, I'm never thinking about whether the lens needs cleaning.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I just sold my lumia 1020 and I also have two kids!! I notice I have to think about my composition a lot more with the x camera especially with backlight and dark rooms vs. the lumia. I've found that I take more shots to get a good one but usually still am able to get them. For me the battery life and user experience is so much better that the tradeoff was acceptable at this point. Let's hope they improve the camera some more though.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc