Some questions about the phone....

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda settled on picking up the moto x over the HTC One, but have some questions for those who have owned the phone for a bit now...

1. What's the general consensus of battery life on this phone? Good?great? I use my phone heavy during the day. Watching video,web browsing, music, and I'm finding my current nexus 4s battery life pretty meh.

2. Is the speed good on this phone? Is it fast,loads things quickly,and how's game performance. And am I making a mistake choosing bit over a on contract HTC ONE?

3. Are you finding the touch less controls and active notification thing to be worth using?

4. Which color do you own? I'm debating using moto maker or just getting the in store black model.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda settled on picking up the moto x over the HTC One, but have some questions for those who have owned the phone for a bit now...

1. What's the general consensus of battery life on this phone? Good?great? I use my phone heavy during the day. Watching video,web browsing, music, and I'm finding my current nexus 4s battery life pretty meh.

2. Is the speed good on this phone? Is it fast,loads things quickly,and how's game performance. And am I making a mistake choosing bit over a on contract HTC ONE?

3. Are you finding the touch less controls and active notification thing to be worth using?

4. Which color do you own? I'm debating using moto maker or just getting the in store black model.

1. Battery life has been amazing. I average about 6 hours screen time, whereas on the HTC One I averaged about 4. Yesterday I spent the better part of the day actually TRYING to kill my battery and was unsuccessful. I still had 33% with 17hrs unplugged and 5hrs screen time.

2. Fastest and most fluid phone I've ever owned. Everything is faster on my Moto X than it was on both my HTC One and my GS4. Moto really did an amazing job optimizing the crap out of this thing. Games run better on this phone than any other- same Adreno 320 gpu but only 720p= much better performance over the One and GS4. Moto has effectively ended the spec wars. This is easily the best implementation of Android to date.

3. Touchless controls no, but Active Notifications yes. I don't know how I ever lived without them.

4. I went with all black (woven back) but had to use motomaker to get the 32gb version. 16gb is nowhere near enough for my needs.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree the tortex73 about the optimization. The phone is really smooth and fast. It's the best Android phone experience, to date IMO. The jury is still out on batttery life for me. It seems really good but I haven't noticed it being that much better than the HTC one.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
1. Battery life has been amazing. I average about 6 hours screen time, whereas on the HTC One I averaged about 4. Yesterday I spent the better part of the day actually TRYING to kill my battery and was unsuccessful. I still had 33% with 17hrs unplugged and 5hrs screen time.

2. Fastest and most fluid phone I've ever owned. Everything is faster on my Moto X than it was on both my HTC One and my GS4. Moto really did an amazing job optimizing the crap out of this thing. Games run better on this phone than any other- same Adreno 320 gpu but only 720p= much better performance over the One and GS4. Moto has effectively ended the spec wars. This is easily the best implementation of Android to date.

3. Touchless controls no, but Active Notifications yes. I don't know how I ever lived without them.

4. I went with all black (woven back) but had to use motomaker to get the 32gb version. 16gb is nowhere near enough for my needs.

I'm with him...with a few subtle difference. I don't play games I'm business only type of phone user. Lots of cloud, email and social networks for play.

Active Notifications is top notch. Won't go without it now and Touchless really works as advertised unlike nearly all the s4 features. The phone is unbelievably fast.

I got 5hrs screen time yesterday but like I said..no games & the rare video streaming.

I customized mine. Cement back, orange accents with white front.

Posted via Android Central App

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
you guys feel the need to get a case for this? i want to use moto-maker when i eventually upgrade, but no point if i need to buy protection for this bad boy.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
you guys feel the need to get a case for this? i want to use moto-maker when i eventually upgrade, but no point if i need to buy protection for this bad boy.

I only use a case when I'm at work. The phone feels way too nice in the hand to bulk it up with a case. No screen protector either.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I have the stock black but it looks and feels so good that I don't like the idea of a case unless I know I'll be in a risky environment like a spring event or concert. Otherwise, I never use a case. When I get a custom color I will feel even less compelled to use a case.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm not using a case for mine..feels to good without it. Hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

Adriano Feria

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If you are a Verizon customer I'd recommend getting the Droid Maxx instead. It is almost identical to the Moto X, but it has about 60% more battery and it has built-in inductive charging (wireless charging).
I have purchased the Droid Maxx last week (I had been planning on getting the Moto X), and I am VERY happy with it.

Here are the key differences between the Droid Maxx/Moto X:
Battery Capacity: 3,500mAh/2,200mAh
Built-in wireless charging: Yes/No
Built-in storage: 32GB/16GB
Display Size: 5.0/4.7
Weight: 167g/130g
The Maxx is flat on the back and slightly thicker.

I normally get ~48 hours of battery under regular usage (I've gotten almost 3 days under light usage), but most importantly I can use the hell out of the phone and still get more than 24 hours. This means that I never have to worry about my alarm clock not working if I forget to charge it during the night.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
You say almost identical and then rifle off 6 key differences. I had the Maxx, it's huge, it's heavy, it's actually not very good looking at all and I would not be surprised if this year or next year was the last run of Droids all together. Oh did I mention that it's really not that good looking? Moto X is night and day better than the Maxx.
If you are a Verizon customer I'd recommend getting the Droid Maxx instead. It is almost identical to the Moto X, but it has about 60% more battery and it has built-in inductive charging (wireless charging).
I have purchased the Droid Maxx last week (I had been planning on getting the Moto X), and I am VERY happy with it.

I normally get ~48 hours of battery under regular usage (I've gotten almost 3 days under light usage), but most importantly I can use the hell out of the phone and still get more than 24 hours. This means that I never have to worry about my alarm clock not working if I forget to charge it during the night.

gbkrip

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

In my mind the Droid Maxx does not compare to the Moto X in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics. This is enough for me to pick the X over the Maxx, even though the Maxx is better in every way on the spec sheet.

Adriano Feria

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I should have said that in terms of functionality they are almost identical. In a nutshell, the Maxx sacrifices some aesthetics and ergonomics in exchange for a much better battery life, storage space and wireless charging.
The phone is ~28% heavier, but it is still lighter than the original Droid. IMO those are good trade-offs and that's why I am recommending it.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the Maxx also $100 more? The storage space is a good point, but unless you actually need that much more battery, it's not really an advantage. If you charge the phone every night and need less than the 4-6 hours of screen time you can probably get with the X, then the extra battery is useless. You're just spending $100 for 16GB of internal memory and getting a worse form factor and lower PPI screen.

Adriano Feria

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
For me the storage space wasn't really important (bseides that I have found out that the Moto X has a 32GB variant). What sold me on the Maxx was the extra battery life and wireless charging.
Here is why I think it is important for a phone to have wireless charging and/or reliably last for 48 hours without charging:
There are times that it is inconvenient and times that I forget to put my phone to charge during the night, so for those times it is a big deal to have a phone that can go without overnight charging.
Here are some realistic scenarios:
1. My wife may already be sleeping by the time I go to bed, and I do not want to disturb her sleep because I am struggling to connect my phone to the charger.
2. Sometimes I take my phone out of my pocket before I go to bed and I don't like to play fetch when I'm ready to go to bed, specially if the phone is downstairs or if I cant remember where I put it.
3. Sometimes I may be too tired/lazy and on a rare occasion drunk, and it is nice not having to remember and deal with connecting the phone to the charger.
4. I enjoy knowing with 100% certainty that my phone will last to the end of the night no matter how much I use it even on days that I wake up early and go to bed late.
5. I can use the GPS for longer periods of time without having to worry about battery life (this is specially handy if I am riding with someone that does not have a car charger).
6. I can go on an entire weekend without charging my phone (if I charge it during work and leave with 100% battery - this is quite convenient since I have a wireless charger on my desk).
7. I always hated having to connect my phone to the USB charger. The wireless charger is easier and more convenient to use.

Those are my personal reasons for valuing battery life and wireless charging that the Maxx provides.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
You say almost identical and then rifle off 6 key differences. I had the Maxx, it's huge, it's heavy, it's actually not very good looking at all and I would not be surprised if this year or next year was the last run of Droids all together. Oh did I mention that it's really not that good looking? Moto X is night and day better than the Maxx.

You forgot one of the ugliest phones on the market. That's just my opinion though.