Facebook app a major power drain

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been monitoring my battery usage for the past couple days and the Facebook app is constantly the number one power consumer.

Even after turning off all the auto updates, etc., the app was still pulling 47% of the battery. I finally got fed up with it and deleted the damn thing, I don't even Facebook that much but it was always nice to have.

What's everyone else's battery draw with Facebook?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Facebook is never that high for me. It's not even listed in my battery stats, and I've been using it throughout the day. Are you sure you turned off notifications, chat, photo syncing, messenger, and set the refresh interval to never?

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is never that high for me. Are you sure you turned off notifications, chat, photo syncing, messenger, and set the refresh interval to never?

I did all of that. I noticed that it started doing it yesterday but hadn't even been on the list the day before. I wonder what would be causing this.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I did, I created a shortcut in Chrome and then added that shortcut to my home screen. The mobile site isn't that bad at all and actually runs faster than the app. I also turned in email notifications, so notifications will still be pushed to my gmail account.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I did, I created a shortcut in Chrome and then added that shortcut to my home screen. The mobile site isn't that bad at all and actually runs faster than the app. I also turned in email notifications, so notifications will still be pushed to my gmail account.

This.

Posted via Android Central App

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Facebook is only 2% of my battery drain at any given time. You must have something running in the background.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
As lame as it sounds, try wiping cache/data in the Facebook app. There is an app in the Play Store called "Greenify" that you can use to freeze/hibernate any app and it will do it on it's own automatically. It's not like freezing with Titanium Backup, the app will still be in the app drawer, it just won't start up on it's own and cause partial wake locks.

That said, Greenify has SU permissions. I'm not sure if it needs them to run. I assume it only needs them for root apps. YMMV.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
As lame as it sounds, try wiping cache/data in the Facebook app. There is an app in the Play Store called "Greenify" that you can use to freeze/hibernate any app and it will do it on it's own automatically.

Good call. I'll try them both out.

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
the android fb app sucks because of this. I'm rooted on my Gnex and I am running 4.3--it comes with privacy controls that allow me to disable specific access that the app has. I disabled location services from the app so it won't ever touch the GPS. In general, it just sucks battery for no reason. I also turned off notifications because I don't care that much about being on top of it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Good call. I'll try them both out.

As lame as it sounds, try wiping cache/data in the Facebook app. There is an app in the Play Store called "Greenify" that you can use to freeze/hibernate any app and it will do it on it's own automatically. It's not like freezing with Titanium Backup, the app will still be in the app drawer, it just won't start up on it's own and cause partial wake locks.

That said, Greenify has SU permissions. I'm not sure if it needs them to run. I assume it only needs them for root apps. YMMV.

to use Greenify you must be rooted btw.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
What's the setup on yours? I might have to reinstall and see if it's any better.

I looked at my settings and I don't let it run in the background, I don't sync photos automatically..I use advanced task killer. I know lots of folks say it is a battery killer but not for me. It keeps many of the news apps and such from running the background.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what is causing my battery drain but I noticed that if I leave my Moto X alone all day it drains to about 47% battery life without even touching it. That's WAY more than most other phones I've used recently.

grapkoski

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issue on my GS4, everything was turned off except Contacts sync under 'Other Settings.' I originally though having Facebook sync with only my registered contacts would be a nice feature to have but ultimately it isn't worth the battery drain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc