Moto X: Cracked screen already

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I received my moto x on thursday and I really like it. Naturally, I declined insurance and instantly after coming back from a Cleveland Browns tailgate, i dropped my phone and cracked the screen. I have searched for screen replacements, but I can't find anything...is there anything else I can do?

FML for dropping my phone and supporting terrible sports teams.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cracked screen already....I'm an *****

I received my moto x on thursday and I really like it. Naturally, I declined insurance and instantly after coming back from a Cleveland Browns tailgate, i dropped my phone and cracked the screen. I have searched for screen replacements, but I can't find anything...is there anything else I can do?

Welcome to the forums!
Because the X is so new, you may not see any spare parts for a bit yet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Usually the manufacturer can fix it if you call them. Costs are typically 50-150 for screens on many devices.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to hear that. Curious, explain the drop. From how far, on what kind of surface, did it fall flat on its screen and did you have a case? Can you post pics?

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to hear that. Curious, explain the drop. From how far, on what kind of surface, did it fall flat on its screen and did you have a case? Can you post pics?

I will post a pic later, but basically, I was getting out of the passengers side of a car and reached down to grab car keys off the floorboard and it slipped out of my pocket. It was probably a 3 foot fall and landed flush on the concrete sidewalk. The crack runs from the top left corner of the phone...all the way to the bottom right corner. I had it in a cheap case, but my armor suit screen protector hasn't arrived yet, so the screen was unprotected.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Yikes. I will make sure not to drop this thing.

Did you pay with an Amex or Discover card or other cc with shopping protection? If so, they may replace, although not sure about that if you buy it under contract and as such would not have paid the full amount but in that case they may pay for fixing the screen.

always always always pay for electronics with consumer protection credit card.

Last edited:

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Did you pay with an Amex or Discover card or other cc with shopping protection? If so, they may replace, although not sure about that if you buy it under contract and as such would not have paid the full amount but in that case they may pay for fixing the screen.

always always always pay for electronics with consumer protection credit card.

I did not, I just billed it to my verizon account

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Haha that post was awesome.the browns are looking up Trent Richardson is a beast but weeden, ugh.

Sent from my HTC One

jimmylee350

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, you should have a 30 day window to opt in to the insurance through your carrier with no problem. Motorola offers theirs for $85.00 for a two year coverage and only a $39.00 deductible. Motorola is a much better option than the carrier insurance. You should be able to buy it directly from Motorola by logging into your Motorola Connect account. Good Luck! I feel bad for ya... I love mine!

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, you should have a 30 day window to opt in to the insurance through your carrier with no problem. Motorola offers theirs for $85.00 for a two year coverage and only a $39.00 deductible. Motorola is a much better option than the carrier insurance. You should be able to buy it directly from Motorola by logging into your Motorola Connect account. Good Luck! I feel bad for ya... I love mine!

I just called Motorola and purchased this insurance. Sounded like a pretty good deal. I always bought Apple Care for my iPhones.

Posted via Android Central App

AtmanRising

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I dropped mine too on Saturday. I had it in that Verizon holster/case combo. I think my arm hit the phone by accident, which made it fall out of the holster.

I was a good drop, probably about 2.5 ft. By the time I realized what was going on, the phone was already sitting on the concrete.

The biggest surprise? No damage whatsoever. It landed on the top left corner of the case, bounced a couple times, then settled face up. Not. A. Single. Scratch.

I still can't believe it to be honest. Despite the fact that it doesn't have a screen protector... And with a Verizon (i.e. generic) case. I don't know if it's a miracle or proof this thing is built like a tank :)

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I just called Motorola and purchased this insurance. Sounded like a pretty good deal. I always bought Apple Care for my iPhones.

I need to do that...what did they charge out of curiosity? I chatted online for a min with a rep and he said $149, so I didn't pull the trigger...I wanted to check around.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

drat. Sprint allows a person to get insurance in the first 30 days, if vzn does, maybe you could do that then contact them in a few weeks.

The carrier will likely make you bring the phone in to a local store to make sure its not damaged already. They also usually make you wait a billing cycle before coverage actually begins.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Do you know if Moto insurance covers water damage?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

The carrier will likely make you bring the phone in to a local store to make sure its not damaged already.

Sprint never did for me.

They also usually make you wait a billing cycle before coverage actually begins.

sounds about right. :D

either way, yeah, moto insurance is a much better solution. didn't know they had it! man, i'm *almost* tempted to do it. hmmm. gosh.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Does the phone still work? The n4 that broke screens stopped working. I hope it still works.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

I need to do that...what did they charge out of curiosity? I chatted online for a min with a rep and he said $149, so I didn't pull the trigger...I wanted to check around.

The lady said that it was 39 for two years but I know that's not right because the site says 80 something. I see nothing on my credit card right now so I will check and call back tomorrow if its not there. She was very confused to say the least but the moto insurance sounds like a really good deal, even better than apple care from what I read.

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I love the MotoX, best Android phone ever (see my other posts regarding this phone). It's the worst feeling to crack a new phone (I remember my first time about 3 years ago, and I was only 2 years in when I cracked my phone. Do what I did, take it into manufacturer's store. There should be one in almost every mall or at least one in the city.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude