Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Cracked screen already

I received my moto x on thursday and I really like it. Naturally, I declined insurance and instantly after coming back from a Cleveland Browns tailgate, i dropped my phone and cracked the screen. I have searched for screen replacements, but I can't find anything...is there anything else I can do?

FML for dropping my phone and supporting terrible sports teams.....
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-07-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Global Posts
    20,767 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Cracked screen already....I'm an *****

Quote Originally Posted by scooby8611 View Post
    I received my moto x on thursday and I really like it. Naturally, I declined insurance and instantly after coming back from a Cleveland Browns tailgate, i dropped my phone and cracked the screen. I have searched for screen replacements, but I can't find anything...is there anything else I can do?

Welcome to the forums!
    Because the X is so new, you may not see any spare parts for a bit yet.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Usually the manufacturer can fix it if you call them. Costs are typically 50-150 for screens on many devices.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Banned

Sorry to hear that. Curious, explain the drop. From how far, on what kind of surface, did it fall flat on its screen and did you have a case? Can you post pics?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Curious, explain the drop. From how far, on what kind of surface, did it fall flat on its screen and did you have a case? Can you post pics?
    I will post a pic later, but basically, I was getting out of the passengers side of a car and reached down to grab car keys off the floorboard and it slipped out of my pocket. It was probably a 3 foot fall and landed flush on the concrete sidewalk. The crack runs from the top left corner of the phone...all the way to the bottom right corner. I had it in a cheap case, but my armor suit screen protector hasn't arrived yet, so the screen was unprotected.

Yikes. I will make sure not to drop this thing.

Did you pay with an Amex or Discover card or other cc with shopping protection? If so, they may replace, although not sure about that if you buy it under contract and as such would not have paid the full amount but in that case they may pay for fixing the screen.

always always always pay for electronics with consumer protection credit card.
    Last edited by paisley99; 09-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Did you pay with an Amex or Discover card or other cc with shopping protection? If so, they may replace, although not sure about that if you buy it under contract and as such would not have paid the full amount but in that case they may pay for fixing the screen.

always always always pay for electronics with consumer protection credit card.
    I did not, I just billed it to my verizon account

I did not, I just billed it to my verizon account
    drat. Sprint allows a person to get insurance in the first 30 days, if vzn does, maybe you could do that then contact them in a few weeks.

Get insurance... i always opt for a different company than Asurion.

Haha that post was awesome.the browns are looking up Trent Richardson is a beast but weeden, ugh.

Sent from my HTC One
    Thanked by 2:

Yeah, you should have a 30 day window to opt in to the insurance through your carrier with no problem. Motorola offers theirs for $85.00 for a two year coverage and only a $39.00 deductible. Motorola is a much better option than the carrier insurance. You should be able to buy it directly from Motorola by logging into your Motorola Connect account. Good Luck! I feel bad for ya... I love mine!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee350 View Post
    Yeah, you should have a 30 day window to opt in to the insurance through your carrier with no problem. Motorola offers theirs for $85.00 for a two year coverage and only a $39.00 deductible. Motorola is a much better option than the carrier insurance. You should be able to buy it directly from Motorola by logging into your Motorola Connect account. Good Luck! I feel bad for ya... I love mine!
    I just called Motorola and purchased this insurance. Sounded like a pretty good deal. I always bought Apple Care for my iPhones.

Posted via Android Central App

I dropped mine too on Saturday. I had it in that Verizon holster/case combo. I think my arm hit the phone by accident, which made it fall out of the holster.

I was a good drop, probably about 2.5 ft. By the time I realized what was going on, the phone was already sitting on the concrete.

The biggest surprise? No damage whatsoever. It landed on the top left corner of the case, bounced a couple times, then settled face up. Not. A. Single. Scratch.

I still can't believe it to be honest. Despite the fact that it doesn't have a screen protector... And with a Verizon (i.e. generic) case. I don't know if it's a miracle or proof this thing is built like a tank

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I just called Motorola and purchased this insurance. Sounded like a pretty good deal. I always bought Apple Care for my iPhones.

I need to do that...what did they charge out of curiosity? I chatted online for a min with a rep and he said $149, so I didn't pull the trigger...I wanted to check around.

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    drat. Sprint allows a person to get insurance in the first 30 days, if vzn does, maybe you could do that then contact them in a few weeks.
    The carrier will likely make you bring the phone in to a local store to make sure its not damaged already. They also usually make you wait a billing cycle before coverage actually begins.

Do you know if Moto insurance covers water damage?

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    The carrier will likely make you bring the phone in to a local store to make sure its not damaged already.
    Sprint never did for me.

They also usually make you wait a billing cycle before coverage actually begins.
    sounds about right.

either way, yeah, moto insurance is a much better solution. didn't know they had it! man, i'm *almost* tempted to do it. hmmm. gosh.

Does the phone still work? The n4 that broke screens stopped working. I hope it still works.

Banned

I need to do that...what did they charge out of curiosity? I chatted online for a min with a rep and he said $149, so I didn't pull the trigger...I wanted to check around.
    The lady said that it was 39 for two years but I know that's not right because the site says 80 something. I see nothing on my credit card right now so I will check and call back tomorrow if its not there. She was very confused to say the least but the moto insurance sounds like a really good deal, even better than apple care from what I read.

I love the MotoX, best Android phone ever (see my other posts regarding this phone). It's the worst feeling to crack a new phone (I remember my first time about 3 years ago, and I was only 2 years in when I cracked my phone. Do what I did, take it into manufacturer's store. There should be one in almost every mall or at least one in the city.
    Banned

Just to follow up. Because I never had anything on my CC for my Extended Service Plan purchase I called them back this morning. They pulled my records up and acted like the purchase never happened. Then the guy switched me to another guy that told me only AT&T buyers could purchase the Extended Service Plan and I couldn't because I am on Verizon. What a bunch of BS and not to mention the fact that the girl yesterday took my CC info then just totally blew me off. I believe that she was just taking an order and not entering it into any system to pacify me. Does anyone know if this is true? The Motorola site specifies that you can buy it before 30 days and does not specify just one carrier. What a bunch of crap. Man these guys don't have a freaking clue when you call them, and this is after I got transferred to the so called "Moto X Team". Terrible service. This kind of service has me really second guessing my purchase.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Here is Motorola's reply. Makes me wonder what the person did with my CC info....after she took my it and told me that I was all set. I can tell one thing for sure, Moto X support is not even remotely assembled in the USA.

Guess Verizon purchased phones can't get the plan...

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. Ive reviewed your e-mail and Im ready to help.

I am sorry to hear that, Kevin. I went over your records here and it shows that you are trying to purchase an extended service plan for your Verizon Moto X phone. Please note that the available extended service plan you can see online is for AT&T consumers only. For Verizon support, you need to contact them directly for that because we don't have any agreements with Verizon yet. You can contact them directly at 1-800-922-0204 during Mon-Sun 5.45am-11pm CST.

We hope that you find this information useful and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola - A Google Company

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Rez

Here is Motorola's reply. Makes me wonder what the person did with my CC info....after she took my it and told me that I was all set. I can tell one thing for sure, Moto X support is not even remotely assembled in the USA.

Guess Verizon purchased phones can't get the plan...

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. Ive reviewed your e-mail and Im ready to help.

I am sorry to hear that, Kevin. I went over your records here and it shows that you are trying to purchase an extended service plan for your Verizon Moto X phone. Please note that the available extended service plan you can see online is for AT&T consumers only. For Verizon support, you need to contact them directly for that because we don't have any agreements with Verizon yet. You can contact them directly at 1-800-922-0204 during Mon-Sun 5.45am-11pm CST.

We hope that you find this information useful and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola - A Google Company

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Rez
    It is probably only available to moto maker units, (thus at&t only now) as it probably accounts for getting new custom units.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Yeah, Moto customer service sucks. I was told that I am not eligible for their extended warranty...after they asked me questions for like 30 mins. Then i just asked if i could send it in and have it fixed and they asked me questions via chat for 30 mins and told me i had to call their 800 number. They did tell me that i could send my phone in for standard replacement or advanced..which would put a 600 dollar hold on my checking account. So far, not real impressed with my first Moto smartphone purchase.

That really suck's. This is why I get the insurance through T-Mobile. Yeah you pay allot for it but if anything were to happen they send you another device right away.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast