Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Group Text Issue

Hey guys, just recently picked up a Moto X and I absolutely love it. One issue I have been having (and it's a big deal for me) is that while participating in a group text, sometimes the message will not send to all of the people in the chat. Has anyone had any similar issues or know a fix for this?

Default Re: Group Text Issue

I had the same problem and unchecked the group messaging option in the mms messaging settings.worked for me
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    Anyone else having a similar issue?
    I group text every so often and have on my moto x and have not had this issue.

They make 3rd party messaging apps you can use that may fix the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Go to the play store and install Textra. Way better than stock, lightweight with the right features and fast. No group text issues and I group text a lot.

Posted via Motorola Motox

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Khan View Post
    Go to the play store and install Textra. Way better than stock, lightweight with the right features and fast. No group text issues and I group text a lot.

Only problem with any 3rd party SMS app like Textra is that you lose the text reading capability from Moto Assist while you're driving.

Another nice feature of Textra, it has a pop up option for incoming messages. So if you're on another app or screen and get a text, you get a pop up window where you can reply and it closes. No need to exit the current app you may he using and open the text app. Great multi tasking.

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    Only problem with any 3rd party SMS app like Textra is that you lose the text reading capability from Moto Assist while you're driving.
    This is true.

I've been using handcent mostly for the pop up, the ability to personalize the text tone for important contacts, schedule a text for sometime in the future, etc. Never have got the hang of group messaging though. Not knowing enough people that care, or know what a group text is may be part of that

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    I've been using handcent mostly for the pop up, the ability to personalize the text tone for important contacts, schedule a text for sometime in the future, etc. Never have got the hang of group messaging though. Not knowing enough people that care, or know what a group text is may be part of that
    I also used Handcent for a while. Loved the features on it, more than go sms. The problem was, at least on my phone, it was not smooth and lagged a lot, taking away from the experience. It reminded me of my old Atrix 4g. Great phone for a while, until it started to lag and became jittery.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I've used Handcent as well. I've since returned my Moto X and am waiting for Moto Maker to come to Verizon since I love the phone so much. I want to have that personal touch.

I've never tried Textra before, but I'll surely give it a shot when I get the phone back. Perhaps it was just an issue with the unit I had since most other people I speak to haven't had the same issue. Thanks for the feedback!

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Khan View Post
    I also used Handcent for a while. Loved the features on it, more than go sms. The problem was, at least on my phone, it was not smooth and lagged a lot, taking away from the experience. It reminded me of my old Atrix 4g. Great phone for a while, until it started to lag and became jittery.

+1

I've used Handcent, GO SMS, Chomp and a few others. Textra is my favorite by far.

I put handcent on my X and its working like a charm. I like the color customization , group texting, and send delay . I had the same experience with it on my last phone where it got really laggy, but I think newer phones handle it quite well. You've got me curious about Textra though...

Not as feature heavy as Handcent, but very slick and fast.

If the stock app would have the option of a pop up box for a new text, I wouldn't bother with Handcent, Go, Textra, or any of those. Killing the drive notifications defeats the purpose of one of the features of the moto x

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    If the stock app would have the option of a pop up box for a new text, I wouldn't bother with Handcent, Go, Textra, or any of those. Killing the drive notifications defeats the purpose of one of the features of the moto x
    If you're rooted, you can flash the Cyanogenmod MMS which does have the pop-up and quick reply feature. It just replaces your stock messaging app so the Moto Assist Drive function works the same.

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    If you're rooted, you can flash the Cyanogenmod MMS which does have the pop-up and quick reply feature. It just replaces your stock messaging app so the Moto Assist Drive function works the same.
    Thanks for the tip, but not into rooting and flashing and all that. Too busy to fool with that stuff

I don't have a Moto X yet, but I've been using an app called SMS Popup with my RAZR Maxx HD for the last year or so. Works great with the stock messaging client.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,722 Global Posts

I group text a lot and have had no issues sending and receiving messages with the stock app.

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Pulled the trigger again and got my X back. Only issue now is people with iPhones are still trying to send texts to my iMessage. Never going iPhone again.

Current Devices: Note 4, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: OnePlus One, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Pulled the trigger again and got my X back. Only issue now is people with iPhones are still trying to send texts to my iMessage. Never going iPhone again.

If you still have the iPhone just turn off iMessage. If not, sign in to your iTunes account, go to view my account, manage devices and click remove by your iPhone. If all that does not work, change your iTunes password and that "should" do it.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I've tried all of the above. The issue isn't really with individual texts with people but rather with a larger group text that I use for school. They all have iPhones and we use the group text to communicate about HW etc. They can see all my texts but I wont see any of their replies. Very frustrating.

I've tried all of the above. The issue isn't really with individual texts with people but rather with a larger group text that I use for school. They all have iPhones and we use the group text to communicate about HW etc. They can see all my texts but I wont see any of their replies. Very frustrating.
    Sounds like your number is still associated with your apple ID in iMessages. iPhones will revert to SMS when iMessage fails so when someone sends you an individual text you will in most cases get that unless the iPhone user has turned off that option in their settings. But group messages are handled through MMS. If my understanding is correct, iPhones don't revert to SMS when replying through a group message (MMS). Worst case scenario, if you can't get your number unregistered from iMessage, it will deactivate automatically after 30 days of inactivity.
    Thanked by:
    Ry and mhettrich like this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Yeah. It's shocking to me that Apple still hasn't resolved this issue, but I suppose it's not really in their interest to do so. I'm slowly starting to get text messages from everyone in the group again, so hopefully it's only a matter of time. Thanks guys.
    Current Devices: Note 4, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: OnePlus One, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

I got single messages figured out (turn off iMessage on my old iPhone) but still cant get group messages working with iPhone users. Some of them see my messages, others dont, and I dont get any of their responses. I have a new Moto X. If I cant fix this issue Im going back to iPhone and Apple wins. So annoying that Im trapped in the Apple prison.

Unregistered my iPhone from Apple Support Profile and group texting still doesnt work. Next Im going to try removing the device from account via iTunes.

Unbelievable. I have seen iPhone switchers complaining about this problem for over a year. This bs should be illegal. And no I dont want to download a 3rd party app for texting. If I cant get this working on stock Android Im switching back.

This problem and MS Exchange contacts not syncing from all contact folders are deal breakers. And I love the Moto X... but there are certain features that just HAVE to work. So frustrated right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast