Camera update? Are they going to fix it?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
It DOES the same thing yes but I like being able to add photos or voice memos to KEEP.

Me too. Adding photos to Keep is awesome. I put pictures of ac filters, water filters and even prescriptions in my Keep reminders for fast reference. That way I can just read the part numbers or dates when I am at the store. Very handy.

Posted via Android Central App

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Bingo! That's the main reason I returned mine and replaced it with the S4. Too bad though, because I was coming to grips with the non-removable battery and smaller screen. What a shame...

The problem with the camera is that it's inconsistent. When it works correctly the pictures come out great. When it doesn't, you get unusable crap. Not knowing what you're going to get is almost a bigger problem.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to comment on a person switching from Android to iOS based on the camera.

I am actually one of those people who would consider doing that. Maybe because I have primarily been with iOS for the majority of my time with smartphones. I just swapped from iOS to Android a month ago after lamenting over the choices I had at that time. I was head over heels for the Moto X but passed on it once I found out the problems with the camera. I'm mentioned it before, but after a smooth running phone, the camera is the next priority for me. I have two babies and I snap and share pictures of them constantly.

I struggle with getting clear shots on my S4. Didn't really have issues with my iPhone 5 - probably because of I mostly shoot in the house. I saw the 5s camera enhancements and my interest has piqued, but my husband will be getting that so I can tinker with his and see if I am willing to go back to boring iOS for the camera. Who knows, cameras are never as good as they are marketed to be.

I have an upgrade to burn and my roaming eye has been checking out the G2, 5s (not sure I will leave android though), Nexus 5 and the updated/verizon moto-maker Moto X.

I'm so flighty ;)

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to comment on a person switching from Android to iOS based on the camera.

I am actually one of those people who would consider doing that. Maybe because I have primarily been with iOS for the majority of my time with smartphones. I just swapped from iOS to Android a month ago after lamenting over the choices I had at that time. I was head over heels for the Moto X but passed on it once I found out the problems with the camera. I'm mentioned it before, but after a smooth running phone, the camera is the next priority for me. I have two babies and I snap and share pictures of them constantly.

I struggle with getting clear shots on my S4. Didn't really have issues with my iPhone 5 - probably because of I mostly shoot in the house. I saw the 5s camera enhancements and my interest has piqued, but my husband will be getting that so I can tinker with his and see if I am willing to go back to boring iOS for the camera. Who knows, cameras are never as good as they are marketed to be.

I have an upgrade to burn and my roaming eye has been checking out the G2, 5s (not sure I will leave android though), Nexus 5 and the updated/verizon moto-maker Moto X.

I'm so flighty ;)

I just came from an iPhone 5. I have the moto x and my wife has an iPhone 5. We have kids and are constantly taking pictures indoors and out. I don't think that you can compare the iPhone and moto x by one or two shots. We are over two weeks taking side by side indoor and out door pics and movies. Heck we were just at our sons soccer game this morning sitting next to each other taking pictures like crazy. The pictures from the iPhone are just plain superior to the the moto x. Now I understand that some people in this forum are going to say no way but the fact of the matter is that the iPhones camera is in a whole different league that the moto x. That being said. If the camera is high priority then by all means go iPhone, HTC or GS4. The moto x camera is not bad but not very good. Software updates if (and I still doubt) they come can not make this camera on pat with phones much older. Motorola has in the past promised updates to cameras and blew it off. Take for instance the last generation of droids.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
FWIW: The next update (who know's when that will happen) should include a camera firmware update according to a tweet I received from Motorola.

mfdemicco

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I just came from an iPhone 5. I have the moto x and my wife has an iPhone 5. We have kids and are constantly taking pictures indoors and out. I don't think that you can compare the iPhone and moto x by one or two shots. We are over two weeks taking side by side indoor and out door pics and movies. Heck we were just at our sons soccer game this morning sitting next to each other taking pictures like crazy. The pictures from the iPhone are just plain superior to the the moto x. Now I understand that some people in this forum are going to say no way but the fact of the matter is that the iPhones camera is in a whole different league that the moto x. That being said. If the camera is high priority then by all means go iPhone, HTC or GS4. The moto x camera is not bad but not very good. Software updates if (and I still doubt) they come can not make this camera on pat with phones much older. Motorola has in the past promised updates to cameras and blew it off. Take for instance the last generation of droids.

Have you tried another camera app such as Camera FX?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried another camera app such as Camera FX?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

An app can't fix it. If you read my post you would see that I said the camera wasn't that bad but not as good as the gs4 or iPhone. Its not and an app isn't going to change that.

mfdemicco

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
An app can't fix it. If you read my post you would see that I said the camera wasn't that bad but not as good as the gs4 or iPhone. Its not and an app isn't going to change that.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Some of the photos posted look real good while others don't. It looks primarily like an exposure problem.

Toymaker02

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again to everyone who posted. I replaced my Moto X with an S4. The S4 is getting great shots. I can see a valid debate between the S4 and the iPhone, but the Moto X is unfortunately in a (sub) league of it's own. Perfect lighting = decent shots. Anything else = major exposure issues.

With that said, I'd go back to the Moto X in a heartbeat if they could get their camera in the same league as the other top tier phones. If you don't need to shoot people or pets with your camera phone than the Moto X is a great choice.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to post these as an example of the "inconsistencies" you get with the Moto X camera. Now don't take that as me dogging it, rather I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the camera after reading all the so-so reviews from users. For reference sake, I've also got the S4 and iPhone 5, so I know what a top of the line cell phone camera looks like.

These were taken seconds apart in bright sunlight. No HDR. Just notice how washed out the first one looks and how much better the colors are in the second. Again, taken seconds apart, no filters, no post production...straight from the camera.

5usadupe.jpg

jy4upyqa.jpg

What I will say is that this gives me hope that this is a software issue that can be addressed with an update. It seems the software is all over the place in post on the phone. Of course, this can also be fixed by running the photos through an editing app and messing with the color, saturation, exposure, etc. But no one wants to have to do that to nearly every picture.

So hopefully we'll see this update before long, because other than the inconsistent camera, I do love this phone. :thumbup:

Sent from my Moto X

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to post these as an example of the "inconsistencies" you get with the Moto X camera. Now don't take that as me dogging it, rather I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the camera after reading all the so-so reviews from users. For reference sake, I've also got the S4 and iPhone 5, so I know what a top of the line cell phone camera looks like.

These were taken seconds apart in bright sunlight. No HDR. Just notice how washed out the first one looks and how much better the colors are in the second. Again, taken seconds apart, no filters, no post production...straight from the camera.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/19/5usadupe.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/19/jy4upyqa.jpg

What I will say is that this gives me hope that this is a software issue that can be addressed with an update. It seems the software is all over the place in post on the phone. Of course, this can also be fixed by running the photos through an editing app and messing with the color, saturation, exposure, etc. But no one wants to have to do that to nearly every picture.

So hopefully we'll see this update before long, because other than the inconsistent camera, I do love this phone. :thumbup:

Sent from my Moto X

Now, it may just be that I live in Texas, but that first picture looks much more like the world I'm used to. The bottom picture looks to fresh and green for any normal grassy yard I know.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Now, it may just be that I live in Texas, but that first picture looks much more like the world I'm used to. The bottom picture looks to fresh and green for any normal grassy yard I know.

Haha, yeah I thought about that (people living in drier environments). Our grass is pretty green here as we've had a decent amount of rain this summer, though.

The big thing is just the difference between the two. It amazes me that it could be that different from one second to the next.

Sent from my Moto X

fantom555

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
you would think that someone at google or motorola would say we have a camera issues and need to fix this before the phone is released. I would think that people who test phones would bring this issue up. and with all the talk about how the camera is a top priority in todays phone market they would give there best if they wanted to compete. i just dont get it.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it seems that every new phone is released with a quite extensive "known bugs list". Typically the most critical and fastest ones to resolve are scheduled to be taken care of within a 1-1.5 months of the phones release ota while the more complex issues that aren't quite as critical are scheduled for a 3-5 months post release ota. I expect we'll see camera improvements, call quality improvements, bluetooth improvements and "hopefully" an update to Android 4.3. I'd say we can probably expect the OTA within 2-4 weeks from now, in fact it's possibly even already done and could be starting carrier testing/approval.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante