What I like and don't like about the Moto X

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I couple days ago, I got a new Moto X to replace my DROID Bionic. Since then, I have been very happy with it.

I upgraded from a DROID Bionic, and frankly, the differences are absolutely stunning. Performance rocks, useful features abound, and battery life is stellar.

What I like about the Moto X

• It's fast, at least compared to my DROID Bionic
I launch apps, switch apps, do Google Now searches, surf Web pages, and it all happens quickly and effortlessly. I have not experienced any lag.​

• The battery life is excellent
I now keep WiFi and mobile Data enabled all the time, and after moderate use of a couple calls, some texting, lots of Web surfing, some music playing, and lots of news reading in Google Currents, my battery is at 38% after 1d 2h 44m on battery. This is a HUGE improvement over my DROID Bionic. I used to have to use Juice Defender Ultimate to manage WiFi and mobile Data, and Greenify to manage background apps, and even with that, I barely got a full day of comparable use. Now, i don't need either, i have WiFi and mobile data on, and I'm getting what I consider to be excellent battery life.​

• Twist-twist to launch camera app
OK, so this has been debated as to its usefulness, but I really like how from off, I can twist-twist, and the camera launches. My DROID Bionic required that I hit the power button, swipe to unlock, navigate to the launcher, find the camera app, and then launch it. Too many times, I missed photo opportunities because I spent more time fumbling to get the camera launched. I'm now much more likely to take photos than I was before.​

• Touchless Control
This may grow old quickly, but it certainly is nice to be able to casually say, "OK Google now, what is the temperature" and get a spoken result quickly. Or "OK Google Now, remind me to take the dogs in for a bath tomorrow at 10:30 AM." and have a simple reminder created.​

• Power button not needed to turn on
Subtle, but nice. Pick up the Moto X, and Active notifications come on letting you swipe down to unlock. No more hitting the power button.​

Things I don't like about the Moto X

• Quick Settings is not editable
OK, so this is true of ALL stock Android versions that have this feature. Most custom ROMs allow you to edit and rearrange the order of the items.​

• Quick Settings buttons are launchers, not toggles
Tap most items on the Quick Settings menu, and it launches the associated settings page. Long-press, and it toggles the setting. Most custom ROMs invert this by toggling on tap and launching on long-press. Again, this is standard on all recent stock Android versions, however I prefer the later.​

Honestly, that's it. In the end, I find the Moto X not necessarily revolutionary, but certainly evolutionary. It really demonstrates that modest hardware specs, when combined with optimized and innovative software, can provide an excellent experience whereby I will be more likely to simply use the Moto X's many useful features than spending way too much time futzing with ways to to make it work better.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Agree with all of those! Loving the battery life, LOVE not having to wake the phone all the time. Love for the active notifications! Love. Also love that twisty cam launch!

Adding: love the size and build, the other flagships were JUST not the right size for me at ALL.

My first venture into Android and I?m really glad I get to have close to vanilla stock.

I feel really fortunate that a phone came out that has all these rolled into one.

As for toggles, yes. I wish it had an airplane mode toggle b/c I live in nyc so I?m on the subway a lot, and love airplane mode in general.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
@jimbarr
My bionic had a shortcut to the camera on the lockscreen that was pretty quick
@paisley99
Bottom left airplane toggle

Sent from my XT1060

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I would just install Notification Toggle if I were you and call it a day..

this will work for an airplane mode too, right?

oh derp, lol. i thought this was a toggle for notifications, not toggles in the notification bar. lol.

Last edited:

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For quick toggles, every android phone I've ever owned had the "Power Control" app. The moto X is no different. 1x4 widget to toggle wifi, bluetooth, GPS, autoupdate, and the brightness. There are plenty of free toggle apps in the play store. I have one for volume (loud,vibrate,silent) and autorotate. Beautiful widgets/weather has a ton of toggles as well.

Because of these, I've never used quick options in the notification bar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670