Dissapointed! Speaker problem and other issues! Long

okeefecrew

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post and unfortunately it is about the problems I have had with my new Verizon Moto X. I purchased my Moto X on Verizon online and received it last Friday. Initial impressions were great! I believe this phone has a nearly perfect form factor, great screen and seems really well built. But I started noticing problems and bugs right away. First, I have the Motorola Assist bug in which it will read aloud text messages even when I am not driving. Embarrassing when it happened the first time during a meeting with my boss and I was unable to cancel it before it read aloud a somewhat inappropriate text from my wife! I haven't been able to find a fix except to disable the talk back feature in Assist. The second problem or bug I have encountered is that OK Google Now feature is very inconsistent. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it takes me saying OK Google Now three or four times before it responds and this occurs in a quiet environment with the phone held close to my face. My Iphone owning coworkers have had great fun in showing how much better Siri works for them. The camera is okay outdoors, but it's low light ability indoors is truly abysmal. My old HTC Inc2 takes much better indoor shots. The last and possibly most serious problem showed itself a couple of days ago. My phone was sitting idle next to me on a table, when I heard a crackling buzzing type noise coming from the external speaker. It stopped after a few seconds and just rebooted the phone and thought it was a transient issue or so I thought. Ever since this happened my external speaker sounds like it is blown. For example, when I try to listen to music or any other media, the volume starts out very low even if the volume level is set high. When I try to adjust the volume it doesn't seem to respond then suddenly it gets very loud with a pronounced buzzing and crackling. I have done a factory reset twice now to no avail. Unfortunately it seems like it is a hardware problem and will need to be returned. I am within my 14 day window for return or exchange and now am second guessing my decision to go with the Moto X. Any one else have problems with their speaker? Any suggestions on how to fix? Any words of encouragement? I absolutely love this phone, but it seems that it might not be ready for prime time. Thanks for letting me vent!

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Bummer.

The people who have had issues and exchanged their faulty Moto X for a new one seem to have be pleased, for the most part. Sounds like you got a lemon.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't own a Moto X so I couldn't attest to the issues you're experiencing, save for one: the Talk Back issue. At least in Samsung Phones this happens when using TouchWiz and an app that relies on Accessibility Options to display or access information from other apps like LightFlow, NoLED or Active Notifications. If any of those apps were active in the Accessibility Options, the Talk Back feature would be activated all the time. The "fix" is to use a different launcher and not Samsung's TouchWiz, so there might be a similar bug here, especially since Moto's solution already includes a feature like NoLED.

okeefecrew

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I hope I just got a lemon. The phone is fantastic in every way except for the issues I listed. The whole assembled in USA thing is an important feature for me and I really want to support American workers, I am just disappointed to have experienced the problems that I have. I know Motorola is aware of the Assist bug and hopefully will have a fix soon. The camera, though somewhat disappointing, is not a deal breaker. The OK Google Now feature is cool (when it works) but I am not sure how important this feature is for me personally. I will probably just exchange it for another Moto X. BTW has anyone done an in-store exchange with a phone purchased online? The Verizon return policy that came with the phone seems to say I have to return it via Fedex and wait for a replacement, just want to know if I can just take it to a corp store and exchange it. Thanks again!

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I understand but just get a new one. I think on the Moto forum, where folks who work for the company got several posts on the assist issue. Plus, they roll out over 100,000 phones a week, so there is room for error.

Camera I have taken pics in low light, reg light, a dark bar and the pics came out great. I wonder if they updated the camera.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope I just got a lemon. The phone is fantastic in every way except for the issues I listed. The whole assembled in USA thing is an important feature for me and I really want to support American workers, I am just disappointed to have experienced the problems that I have. I know Motorola is aware of the Assist bug and hopefully will have a fix soon. The camera, though somewhat disappointing, is not a deal breaker. The OK Google Now feature is cool (when it works) but I am not sure how important this feature is for me personally. I will probably just exchange it for another Moto X. BTW has anyone done an in-store exchange with a phone purchased online? The Verizon return policy that came with the phone seems to say I have to return it via Fedex and wait for a replacement, just want to know if I can just take it to a corp store and exchange it. Thanks again!

I had the speaker issue. Send it back. Its not going to get better. Mine started cracking and popping even when phone wasn't in use. It went off in a meeting Tuesday morning and everyone looked at me like what the heck.

Also.. With touchless controls. Re train the thing. It doesn't like robot commands. You have to speak to it like you normally do. It's meant to be able to only respond to you. But first things first take it back for the speaker.

My new one is awesome. No problems.

Posted via Android Central App

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's responses. I will exchange it for a new unit and hope for the best!

You'll be fine with the next one. I love my phone. Didn't think there was a better experience to be had than the nexus 4. The more I use this phone the more attached I'm getting. I need to re record OK Google now tough. My original X Had it dialed. I'm off in my speech with this one though cause its selective.

flydi379

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a lemon.except for the camera issue. Truly sucky pictures, almost worse than the two year old Samsung stratosphere I just upgraded from. Very disappointing.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone is great. I liked it immediately and the more I use it the more that I take advantages of its features. More surprising is that my wife liked it immediately and has made use of Touch less functions. I could never convince her to use Google Now...she now uses it like a pro.

Posted via Android Central App and the Moto X

okeefecrew

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Exchanged my phone this morning in store easy sneezy no problems! So far everything operating as it should. Even the talk back feature seems to be working properly and the OK Google Now seems to be working much more reliably. Very happy with the new phone. My first one was definitely a lemon.

okeefecrew

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Just happened to check the forum and found my old thread revived, so I thought an update was in order. As my previous update indicated I did exchange for new one and it has been flawless ever since. My wife even jumped the IPhone ship and is now the proud owner of her own custom Moto, which after a short adjustment period, she absolutely loves!
With all the recent updates especially to the camera, I really have zero complaints now. Really a great phone!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Just happened to check the forum and found my old thread revived, so I thought an update was in order. As my previous update indicated I did exchange for new one and it has been flawless ever since. My wife even jumped the IPhone ship and is now the proud owner of her own custom Moto, which after a short adjustment period, she absolutely loves!
With all the recent updates especially to the camera, I really have zero complaints now. Really a great phone!

Glad you were able to get it sorted out. It's a great device.

yeowzuhx3

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm having that issue as well as other sound issues. How many lemons are they? From what I can tell, maybe Google should have called the OS Lemonade instead of Jellybean.

chukka63

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I had loudspeaker issues from the off and also Bluetooth problems.I sent it back and was told it was fine and would I like it returned or sent to Motorola.I asked them to send it to Motorola as I knew it wasn't fine.Clove,who I got the handset from then tell me Motorola are sending out a REPLACEMENT.i opened it up today to find the same phone I sent back with the same issues as before.I will be calling them Monday with my threatening head on.
I use to rate Clove as a good company but that is no longer the case.