Where is the Developer Edition?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all, what is the hold up? It has been rolled out to all of the carriers and Punit Soni said in the coming days on Aug. 23rd.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
A developer edition phone usually has the same hardware as the non-developer edition device. The main difference is in the software that is flashed by the OEM. Carriers like AT&T and Verizon usually insist on locked bootloaders, which prevent (or at least reduce) software modification. In this context, locked doesn?t just mean locked ? virtually every Android device ships with a locked bootloader, even Nexus devices. The difference here is that some devices cannot be unlocked at all, barring an exploit. May be that helps you in understanding the difference between the two.
For more attractive deals "Just Dial":- +1 516 515 9871

??? I did not ask what is a Developer Edition, I asked "Where" is the Developer Edition?...Now they throw the Nexus 5 into the mix and I am sitting here on Verizon wondering if I should wait or get the Moto X?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
??? I did not ask what is a Developer Edition, I asked "Where" is the Developer Edition?...Now they throw the Nexus 5 into the mix and I am sitting here on Verizon wondering if I should wait or get the Moto X?

I think leaks suggest that Verizon will not be getting the nexus 5....

Sent from my HTC One mini

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Title says it all, what is the hold up? It has been rolled out to all of the carriers and Punit Soni said in the coming days on Aug. 23rd.

Hah! Days is such a bullsh1t answer. Six months later could be considered (180) days. Motorola marketing and Motorola Customer Service are two groups that I'll never believe!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hah! Days is such a bullsh1t answer. Six months later could be considered (180) days. Motorola marketing and Motorola Customer Service are two groups that I'll never believe!

I agree, if they say days it should be 1-13 days, weeks should be 2-7 weeks, months should be...

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Been no news on the Developer Edition for several weeks. It looks like a marketing ploy, or a serious problem getting the deals struck or the phones built. Stands out like a big problem and Moto is Mum.. MuMoTo

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the EXACT same boat, trying to patiently wait for news of a new Nexus or release of the Moto X DE, so I can upgrade my GNex asap. They threw the teaser of the DE out there for us, so we wouldn't buy anything else, but we are left hanging. Also, if I knew 100% that Verizon won't get the new Nexus, the decision would be easier, and I'd get the Moto X DE as soon as its released. However, I have a small bit of hope Verizon may have a Nexus, so I'm trying to prolong the agony as much as possible until more info is available.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
If you are waiting for the Nexus 5 to come to Verizon then you mind as well get the Moto X right now. Nexus 5 won't be on Verizon.
I'm in the EXACT same boat, trying to patiently wait for news of a new Nexus or release of the Moto X DE, so I can upgrade my GNex asap. They threw the teaser of the DE out there for us, so we wouldn't buy anything else, but we are left hanging. Also, if I knew 100% that Verizon won't get the new Nexus, the decision would be easier, and I'd get the Moto X DE as soon as its released. However, I have a small bit of hope Verizon may have a Nexus, so I'm trying to prolong the agony as much as possible until more info is available.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
You are probably right. In this case, I'd hoping they at least share information about the Developer's Edition ASAP

Moto x is as close to the nexus experience as Verizon is ever going to get so enjoy it. Moto x is a great phone. A lot of people will jump right on the nexus when it comes out but Verizon people still have a very nice option. As for me? I can't see not getting the nexus 5. That's the only bigger handset that I would ever buy and of course it's a Nexus so I gotta have it:)

Posted via Android Central App

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Moto x is as close to the nexus experience as Verizon is ever going to get so enjoy it. Moto x is a great phone. A lot of people will jump right on the nexus when it comes out but Verizon people still have a very nice option. As for me? I can't see not getting the nexus 5. That's the only bigger handset that I would ever buy and of course it's a Nexus so I gotta have it:)

It's as close as Verizon will get to the nexus experience for the time being. Once VoLTE is deployed and there's no longer a dependency of CDMA for voice, it'll be a completely different game. We'll start to see Verizon compatible nexus phones at that point.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's as close as Verizon will get to the nexus experience for the time being. Once VoLTE is deployed and there's no longer a dependency of CDMA for voice, it'll be a completely different game. We'll start to see Verizon compatible nexus phones at that point.

I'm thinking the next 12 months. That's forever in cool new phone terms. If and when this happens we are on nexus 6.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
They haven't, but really?

What do you mean? The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak.

Until Google and/or Verizon states something definitive, we're all just adding to the rumor mill.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was known that the only band that Verizon uses could even use on the Nexus 5 would be AWS which isn't even deployed yet. Do we really think there is going to be a Verizon variant with a CDMA radio and proper LTE?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Correct and not a chance.
I thought it was known that the only band that Verizon uses could even use on the Nexus 5 would be AWS which isn't even deployed yet. Do we really think there is going to be a Verizon variant with a CDMA radio and proper LTE?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a perception.
What do you mean? The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak.

Until Google and/or Verizon states something definitive, we're all just adding to the rumor mill.

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Um.. what do you mean by "proper LTE"?

And - VoLTE is a ways off from what I read, so I agree that it will be Moto Y and Nexus 6.. and because of protectionist attitudes, I have to wonder if it will be delayed for more than technical reasons.

AND, back to the thread - still no word on the DE. Every day is another day I am disappointed even more with MuMoTo.