Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121
Like Tree25Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,255 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Where is the Developer Edition?

    Title says it all, what is the hold up? It has been rolled out to all of the carriers and Punit Soni said in the coming days on Aug. 23rd.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,255 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander50 View Post
    A developer edition phone usually has the same hardware as the non-developer edition device. The main difference is in the software that is flashed by the OEM. Carriers like AT&T and Verizon usually insist on locked bootloaders, which prevent (or at least reduce) software modification. In this context, locked doesnt just mean locked virtually every Android device ships with a locked bootloader, even Nexus devices. The difference here is that some devices cannot be unlocked at all, barring an exploit. May be that helps you in understanding the difference between the two.
    For more attractive deals "Just Dial":- +1 516 515 9871
    ??? I did not ask what is a Developer Edition, I asked "Where" is the Developer Edition?...Now they throw the Nexus 5 into the mix and I am sitting here on Verizon wondering if I should wait or get the Moto X?
  3. #3  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,139 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    That's spam. :-)

    Nexus. Through spacetime.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    ??? I did not ask what is a Developer Edition, I asked "Where" is the Developer Edition?...Now they throw the Nexus 5 into the mix and I am sitting here on Verizon wondering if I should wait or get the Moto X?
    I think leaks suggest that Verizon will not be getting the nexus 5....

    Sent from my HTC One mini
    txtoast likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    Title says it all, what is the hold up? It has been rolled out to all of the carriers and Punit Soni said in the coming days on Aug. 23rd.
    Hah! Days is such a bullsh1t answer. Six months later could be considered (180) days. Motorola marketing and Motorola Customer Service are two groups that I'll never believe!
  6. #6  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post
    Hah! Days is such a bullsh1t answer. Six months later could be considered (180) days. Motorola marketing and Motorola Customer Service are two groups that I'll never believe!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,255 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post
    Hah! Days is such a bullsh1t answer. Six months later could be considered (180) days. Motorola marketing and Motorola Customer Service are two groups that I'll never believe!

    I agree, if they say days it should be 1-13 days, weeks should be 2-7 weeks, months should be...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Been no news on the Developer Edition for several weeks. It looks like a marketing ploy, or a serious problem getting the deals struck or the phones built. Stands out like a big problem and Moto is Mum.. MuMoTo
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    ??? I did not ask what is a Developer Edition, I asked "Where" is the Developer Edition?...Now they throw the Nexus 5 into the mix and I am sitting here on Verizon wondering if I should wait or get the Moto X?
    I'm in the EXACT same boat, trying to patiently wait for news of a new Nexus or release of the Moto X DE, so I can upgrade my GNex asap. They threw the teaser of the DE out there for us, so we wouldn't buy anything else, but we are left hanging. Also, if I knew 100% that Verizon won't get the new Nexus, the decision would be easier, and I'd get the Moto X DE as soon as its released. However, I have a small bit of hope Verizon may have a Nexus, so I'm trying to prolong the agony as much as possible until more info is available.
    ChuckG73 and bigdaddytee like this.
  10. #10  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    If you are waiting for the Nexus 5 to come to Verizon then you mind as well get the Moto X right now. Nexus 5 won't be on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden8 View Post
    I'm in the EXACT same boat, trying to patiently wait for news of a new Nexus or release of the Moto X DE, so I can upgrade my GNex asap. They threw the teaser of the DE out there for us, so we wouldn't buy anything else, but we are left hanging. Also, if I knew 100% that Verizon won't get the new Nexus, the decision would be easier, and I'd get the Moto X DE as soon as its released. However, I have a small bit of hope Verizon may have a Nexus, so I'm trying to prolong the agony as much as possible until more info is available.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    If you are waiting for the Nexus 5 to come to Verizon then you mind as well get the Moto X right now. Nexus 5 won't be on Verizon.
    You are probably right. In this case, I'd hoping they at least share information about the Developer's Edition ASAP
  12. #12  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayden8 View Post
    You are probably right. In this case, I'd hoping they at least share information about the Developer's Edition ASAP
    Moto x is as close to the nexus experience as Verizon is ever going to get so enjoy it. Moto x is a great phone. A lot of people will jump right on the nexus when it comes out but Verizon people still have a very nice option. As for me? I can't see not getting the nexus 5. That's the only bigger handset that I would ever buy and of course it's a Nexus so I gotta have it

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    hodan 
    ChuckG73 and rayden8 like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Moto x is as close to the nexus experience as Verizon is ever going to get so enjoy it. Moto x is a great phone. A lot of people will jump right on the nexus when it comes out but Verizon people still have a very nice option. As for me? I can't see not getting the nexus 5. That's the only bigger handset that I would ever buy and of course it's a Nexus so I gotta have it

    Posted via Android Central App
    It's as close as Verizon will get to the nexus experience for the time being. Once VoLTE is deployed and there's no longer a dependency of CDMA for voice, it'll be a completely different game. We'll start to see Verizon compatible nexus phones at that point.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
  14. #14  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokiesteve View Post
    It's as close as Verizon will get to the nexus experience for the time being. Once VoLTE is deployed and there's no longer a dependency of CDMA for voice, it'll be a completely different game. We'll start to see Verizon compatible nexus phones at that point.
    I'm thinking the next 12 months. That's forever in cool new phone terms. If and when this happens we are on nexus 6.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  
    KWKSLVR's Avatar

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    If you are waiting for the Nexus 5 to come to Verizon then you mind as well get the Moto X right now. Nexus 5 won't be on Verizon.
    I was unaware Google and Verizon have stated this.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    I was unaware Google and Verizon have stated this.

    Posted via Android Central App
    They haven't, but really?

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    KWKSLVR's Avatar

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    They haven't, but really?

    Posted via Android Central App
    What do you mean? The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak.

    Until Google and/or Verizon states something definitive, we're all just adding to the rumor mill.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    I thought it was known that the only band that Verizon uses could even use on the Nexus 5 would be AWS which isn't even deployed yet. Do we really think there is going to be a Verizon variant with a CDMA radio and proper LTE?
  19. #19  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Correct and not a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rader023 View Post
    I thought it was known that the only band that Verizon uses could even use on the Nexus 5 would be AWS which isn't even deployed yet. Do we really think there is going to be a Verizon variant with a CDMA radio and proper LTE?
    - - - Updated - - -

    It's not a perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    What do you mean? The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak.

    Until Google and/or Verizon states something definitive, we're all just adding to the rumor mill.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Um.. what do you mean by "proper LTE"?

    And - VoLTE is a ways off from what I read, so I agree that it will be Moto Y and Nexus 6.. and because of protectionist attitudes, I have to wonder if it will be delayed for more than technical reasons.

    AND, back to the thread - still no word on the DE. Every day is another day I am disappointed even more with MuMoTo.
  21. #21  
    KWKSLVR's Avatar

    Posts
    586 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Correct and not a chance.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It's not a perception.
    Cite your sources.
  22. #22  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    960 Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    Cite your sources.
    Use your common sense.

    Posted via Android Central App
    hokiesteve likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    ...The perception and rumor is that Verizon and Google don't play well together. This is completely false and based totally on Verizon's need to protect their patents mixed with internet message board 'tard speak....
    Posted via Android Central App
    Cite your sources.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    It's not a perception.
    Then what is it?
  25. #25  
    hodan's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where is the Developer Edition?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    Title says it all, what is the hold up? It has been rolled out to all of the carriers and Punit Soni said in the coming days on Aug. 23rd.
    Of what year?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. URGENT HELP - Note 8.0 (GT-N5100) IS DEAD after update
    By sautan in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 11:08 AM
  3. Google is killing low-end Android devices
    By Travier in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM
  4. Samsung Galaxy- What is Force Stop
    By arvindkhanolkar in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
  5. Restarting automatically when battery is less than 15%
    By Mohamed Elwakeil in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions