Will the Verizon Wireless Developer Edition be Verizon's Pseudo Nexus?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Disclaimer: If Verizon gets another Nexus, it'll be my next phone.

I like the developer support and the freedom to try out Roms and get timely updates. With my GNex it was refreshing to root by phone and unlock the bootloader in a span of 20-30 minutes.

I have a couple Verizon GNexs and all are in working order and still being used. It's still a good phone for my purposes and can still get timely updates. However, upgrading to a new device is fun too.

My top 3 choices in order of preference:

1. The Verizon Nexus 5--if it comes, it will have openness, developer support, and be a worthy upgrade to my GNex

2. The Moto X Developer Edition--Since the Verizon Nexus 5 may not be released, I may as well have Moto hardware, vanilla android, optimized software, and the possibility of Developer Support.

3. The Note 3--If 1 and 2 don't work out and I must have a locked down carrier branded phone, it might as well have great specs and an awesome screen.

I am not a Developer, I am a Moocher and a Leach. I like to tinker and I like to flash, but I depend on awesome developers for support.

My concern is that many of the developers on other carriers will wait and get the next Nexus , which I may not get. It's true that many developers are on Verizon too, but does anyone have an opinion on the type of support a phone like this will have? 95% on Verizon that have the Moto X, will not have an unlockable bootloader or ability to load custom kernels.

It makes sense to me that some developers may not go the extra mile to make roms that take advantage of the Verizon Moto X DE simply because so few people will have it.

I know the regular Verizon X can be rooted using an exploit in Android that Google recently corrected. The Verizon Moto X DE should be much easier to root, but will developers even try since so few people have it?

I don't mind paying $5.18 to Asurion every month for the peace of mind that I am covered if my device is stolen, lost, or broken. However, any of the insurance providers, including Squaretrade, that cover this phone will probably replace it with a standard edition and not a Developer Edition--making the insurance worthless.

I just wish Moto would offer the courtesy that once you bought a developer edition, they would also unlock standard editions of the phone too if needed.

On the plus side, this phone offers 32 GB of storage and an unlockable bootloader for $50 more than the carrier version.
Of course, it also has no warranties--meaning I'll probably have to wait a good month or two, to check for defects, before unlocking the bootloader.

My fear is that Verizon won't get another Nexus and this may be the next best thing. If it has the longevity of developer support that the Gnex had, I will be one happy camper.. However, I am concerned that many of the developers who can get a Nexus 5, will get a Nexus 5. Those true developers on Verizon may get this phone, but only support it until the next best thing comes along, or not develop roms that can truly take advantage of it's open bootloader.

I may be overanalyzing because I am sure the Moto X will also be good out of the box, but I've always wanted a Moto Nexus on Verizon and know this could be as close as I'll get for awhile.

What do you think? Will developers give this phone legs, more so than the carrier subsidized version?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the overall popularity of the moto x, the Verizon edition should still have an active Dev base. Similar to the toro, porting ROMs and features to a CDMA device is a little tricky, but happens pretty quickly. Additionally, the us cellular and sprint versions being unlocked means a leg up on that front so we're talking about something similar to radio exchange and bugfix, adaptation, rather than a rewrite. That increases speed, quality and options for the community.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Disclaimer: If Verizon gets another Nexus, it'll be my next phone.

I like the developer support and the freedom to try out Roms and get timely updates. With my GNex it was refreshing to root by phone and unlock the bootloader in a span of 20-30 minutes.

I have a couple Verizon GNexs and all are in working order and still being used. It's still a good phone for my purposes and can still get timely updates. However, upgrading to a new device is fun too.

My top 3 choices in order of preference:

1. The Verizon Nexus 5--if it comes, it will have openness, developer support, and be a worthy upgrade to my GNex

2. The Moto X Developer Edition--Since the Verizon Nexus 5 may not be released, I may as well have Moto hardware, vanilla android, optimized software, and the possibility of Developer Support.

3. The Note 3--If 1 and 2 don't work out and I must have a locked down carrier branded phone, it might as well have great specs and an awesome screen.

I am not a Developer, I am a Moocher and a Leach. I like to tinker and I like to flash, but I depend on awesome developers for support.

My concern is that many of the developers on other carriers will wait and get the next Nexus , which I may not get. It's true that many developers are on Verizon too, but does anyone have an opinion on the type of support a phone like this will have? 95% on Verizon that have the Moto X, will not have an unlockable bootloader or ability to load custom kernels.

It makes sense to me that some developers may not go the extra mile to make roms that take advantage of the Verizon Moto X DE simply because so few people will have it.

I know the regular Verizon X can be rooted using an exploit in Android that Google recently corrected. The Verizon Moto X DE should be much easier to root, but will developers even try since so few people have it?

I don't mind paying $5.18 to Asurion every month for the peace of mind that I am covered if my device is stolen, lost, or broken. However, any of the insurance providers, including Squaretrade, that cover this phone will probably replace it with a standard edition and not a Developer Edition--making the insurance worthless.

I just wish Moto would offer the courtesy that once you bought a developer edition, they would also unlock standard editions of the phone too if needed.

On the plus side, this phone offers 32 GB of storage and an unlockable bootloader for $50 more than the carrier version.
Of course, it also has no warranties--meaning I'll probably have to wait a good month or two, to check for defects, before unlocking the bootloader.

My fear is that Verizon won't get another Nexus and this may be the next best thing. If it has the longevity of developer support that the Gnex had, I will be one happy camper.. However, I am concerned that many of the developers who can get a Nexus 5, will get a Nexus 5. Those true developers on Verizon may get this phone, but only support it until the next best thing comes along, or not develop roms that can truly take advantage of it's open bootloader.

I may be overanalyzing because I am sure the Moto X will also be good out of the box, but I've always wanted a Moto Nexus on Verizon and know this could be as close as I'll get for awhile.

What do you think? Will developers give this phone legs, more so than the carrier subsidized version?

Cross off your first choice because it will not happen.
How could your second choice possibly not work and drive you to your third choice that is opposite of everything that you are saying that you want......

Posted via Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Cross off your first choice because it will not happen.
How could your second choice possibly not work and drive you to your third choice that is opposite of everything that you are saying that you want......

Posted via Android Central App

Glad you asked.

I am planning to get a new device sometime in November-December so I have time and may just keep my GNEX for awhile.

I agree, #1 is a Long Shot. I am hoping the Verizon Moto DE can fill the Nexus void within Verizon and give me the active developer support, modding, and romming capabilities, vanilla android etc, that I enjoy with my GNEX

HOWEVER, if the support for this phone doesn't seem to materialize and is not embraced by developers.....I don't know what other phone could....so, if I am left with having to choose a locked down, carrier bloated phone, I am strongly considering the Note 3, since at least it'll have a bigger screen and nice display.

In addition to romming and modding, I also enjoy streaming media and watch a lot of movies and video on my GNEX now.

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the exact same GNex boat on Verizon with Nexus and Moto X DE being my top preferences. Since the Nexus doesn't sound likely, is it possible Verizon will have a contract price for the Developer's Edition? I'm willing to commit to another 2 years, but my initial concern with the DE is that it is only available directly through Motorola.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the exact same GNex boat on Verizon with Nexus and Moto X DE being my top preferences. Since the Nexus doesn't sound likely, is it possible Verizon will have a contract price for the Developer's Edition? I'm willing to commit to another 2 years, but my initial concern with the DE is that it is only available directly through Motorola.
Has any developer edition been available via contract?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Developer editions typically are not subsidized by Verizon, however you can use the device payment plan (balance over 12 no), etc with no problem.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Developer editions typically are not subsidized by Verizon, however you can use the device payment plan (balance over 12 no), etc with no problem.

But in order to use the device payment plan, doesn't it have to be available for sale through Verizon?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles