Questions to Help Me Decide on a Moto X or Not

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Some background before I get into my questions. I had an iPhone 3GS, 4, and 5 before going to an HTC One and converting it to a google play edition. I loved the HTC One running stock android but the battery life just wasn't good enough for what I want. I sold the HTC One and switched back to my iphone 5 for the time being and have to say that I don't like it. The screen looks too small and overall, just is not as good looking or as good an experience as I had with the HTC One. However, I love the battery life I get with the iphone. I never have to worry about depleting it doing whatever I want all day long (except for games). I easily can get 7 hours plus of screen time out of my iphone. I had hopes that maybe IOS 7 would make it a somewhat better experience and I could wait until next year to switch back to Android. I updated to IOS 7 and absolutely hate it. While some of the new functions are nice, the overall look on the home screen and within apps is just terrible with annoying animations.

Sorry for the long winded background. Here are my questions:

1. Battery life - All the reviews I have read are half and half. Some say amazing battery life, some say not amazing battery life. Half the people on the threads on these forums say great battery life and half say not so great. And those that say great don't specify screen time most of the time. Realistically, what kind of screen time do you get if you stream some video, surf the internet, check email, occasional call, and text? By the way, I cannot root because my work email will not work if I do so please no responses based on if the phone is rooted and has a new rom.

2. Updates - No one really knows for sure but do you think this phone will get updates relatively quickly for being a carrier phone since it is low on bloatware, close to vanilla, and things like the speaking out loud thing is updated over the play store and not via firmware updates?

3. How do you like the phone after owning it thus far? Any complaints?

Thanks.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
1. Battery life - All the reviews I have read are half and half. Some say amazing battery life, some say not amazing battery life. Half the people on the threads on these forums say great battery life and half say not so great. And those that say great don't specify screen time most of the time. Realistically, what kind of screen time do you get if you stream some video, surf the internet, check email, occasional call, and text? By the way, I cannot root because my work email will not work if I do so please no responses based on if the phone is rooted and has a new rom.

There are plenty of threads on here about battery life. If you don't believe all of those, why would you believe what people post here?

I've wrung out 3.5 hrs of screen time over 18 hrs and still couldn't kill the battery. That was with lots of browsing, gchat, texts, and few calls and watching some lengthy youtube vids. I don't see anyone getting 7 hours of screen time on any phone short of a RAZR Maxx or Note 2.

2. Updates - No one really knows for sure but do you think this phone will get updates relatively quickly for being a carrier phone since it is low on bloatware, close to vanilla, and things like the speaking out loud thing is updated over the play store and not via firmware updates?

Answered your own question. This has been debated to death and still nobody knows for sure.

Love it, my only complaint is the woven white back gets dirty easily. The phone just flat out works and works fast. Specs be damned, it's worth the price.

I easily can get 7 hours plus of screen time out of my iphone.

Got proof?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the battery life I get with the iphone. I never have to worry about depleting it doing whatever I want all day long (except for games). I easily can get 7 hours plus of screen time out of my iphone.

Can I hire you to teach my family how to do that? The girls in my house on iPhones get around 4 hours of screen time on wifi

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1. great battery, heavy use
2. dont know
3. compared to my last 2 phones, GS# and iphone 5, the moto X is the best phone i had, love everything about it
4. now that i have root and was able to enable native tethering on my verizon unlimited data, im good.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Some background before I get into my questions. I had an iPhone 3GS, 4, and 5 before going to an HTC One and converting it to a google play edition. I loved the HTC One running stock android but the battery life just wasn't good enough for what I want. I sold the HTC One and switched back to my iphone 5 for the time being and have to say that I don't like it. The screen looks too small and overall, just is not as good looking or as good an experience as I had with the HTC One. However, I love the battery life I get with the iphone. I never have to worry about depleting it doing whatever I want all day long (except for games). I easily can get 7 hours plus of screen time out of my iphone. I had hopes that maybe IOS 7 would make it a somewhat better experience and I could wait until next year to switch back to Android. I updated to IOS 7 and absolutely hate it. While some of the new functions are nice, the overall look on the home screen and within apps is just terrible with annoying animations.

Sorry for the long winded background. Here are my questions:

Thanks.

I find the battery to be phenomenal. Obviously you have to factor the correlation of up time with screen on time to judge battery life. I have been checking my battery at the end of several very long days I have had over the last week and the best was 20.5 hours off charge with 4 hours and 30 minutes of screen on time. I still had about 18 percent battery left so I probably could have pushed it to 5 hours of screen on time if I was willing to let it go to almost zero percent. Even when I had android devices with removable batteries and had 3500mAh Seidio batteries I wasn't pulling these numbers. This phone is amazing on battery.

Updates are a shot in the dark. Even though Google and Motorola are separate companies "wink wink" I would bet the farm that the X will receive prompt software updates now that as far as most people are concerned they are the same company.

I have gone through the S4, ONE, Note 2, Nexus 4 and the X is by far the best overall experience. It's size is perfect and it's performance outdoes the other spec beasts on the market. I wouldn't even consider trading it for anything out right now. No complaints whatsoever.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I find the battery to be phenomenal. Obviously you have to factor the correlation of up time with screen on time to judge battery life. I have been checking my battery at the end of several very long days I have had over the last week and the best was 20.5 hours off charge with 4 hours and 30 minutes of screen on time. I still had about 18 percent battery left so I probably could have pushed it to 5 hours of screen on time if I was willing to let it go to almost zero percent. Even when I had android devices with removable batteries and had 3500mAh Seidio batteries I wasn't pulling these numbers. This phone is amazing on battery.

Updates are a shot in the dark. Even though Google and Motorola are separate companies "wink wink" I would bet the farm that the X will receive prompt software updates now that as far as most people are concerned they are the same company.

I have gone through the S4, ONE, Note 2, Nexus 4 and the X is by far the best overall experience. It's size is perfect and it's performance outdoes the other spec beasts on the market. I wouldn't even consider trading it for anything out right now. No complaints whatsoever.

Screen on time of heavy use???

Sent from my SPH-L710

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone. I bought a brand new AT&T moto x off ebay for $425. I figure that if I like it a lot, that is a great price and if I don't, I can easily recoup my money.

It is black front, black woven back, and metallic yellow accents. I would prefer different accents but I can live with it at that price.

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone. I bought a brand new AT&T moto x off ebay for $425. I figure that if I like it a lot, that is a great price and if I don't, I can easily recoup my money.

It is black front, black woven back, and metallic yellow accents. I would prefer different accents but I can live with it at that price.

Please report back on your experience. Placed my order almost a week ago and I'm still waiting for my phone.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm getting 5-7hrs screen time with my moto x and about 13-16 hrs total usage. There isn't a phone out right now that even tempts me to get rid of this device. Im lurking on the nexus to set the camera and software features but I don't even really care about a camera. I might buy one to try it and sell it once it goes out of stock to make my doe back

Posted via Android Central App

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting 5-7hrs screen time with my moto x and about 13-16 hrs total usage. There isn't a phone out right now that even tempts me to get rid of this device. Im lurking on the nexus to set the camera and software features but I don't even really care about a camera. I might buy one to try it and sell it once it goes out of stock to make my doe back

I saw a YouTube video where this guy suggested using the camera jb+ app for camera. He said that it is based off the stock jelly bean camera and that because it lets you autofocus and then decide whether to take a picture, he thought it took better pictures.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
1. Battery life was waaay better for me than the iPhone 4s. I am a heavy user and often use the moto x as my navigator with waze on 1-3 bar 4 LTE, watch movies, or browse the internet. I can tell you that I can watch 3-4 movies before having to plug in. Use 1-2 hour of waze to kill 30-50% of battery. My average is 8-25hours depending how I use my phone. It will probably last longer if I didn't use waze all the time. One true thing is that the last 50% of the battery really lasts.

2. There is leaked update for the moto x posted yesterday with camera fixes and 4.3. Rumers are also lingering about fixes for the voice cutting out problem that has baffled many of us. I myself am trusting their word.

3. I love this phone. The phone is fast small to the hand but haves a great feel and screen. Call quality is excellent if they fix the cutting out issue. (The noise cancelation is very good. Its nothing I have seen on a phone) this phone also does things without me expecting. I definitely say this is a great phone.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to provide a quick update. I received the Moto X I purchased off of Ebay last night. I was out until late so I let it charge while I slept. So far, I really like it. It has been really smooth and despite it being 720p, the picture is really good. My biggest concern was battery life and I am pleasantly surprised. I have screen on time of almost 3 hours and still have 50%. This is also after my first charge and me downloading a bunch of stuff and getting things set up so I am very pleased so far.

I am still amazed at how big the screen is in such a small phone body. It is almost the exact same size as my iphone 5 in a case. I really like the feel of it also. I heard about how so many people love the Motorola dimple and I don't find myself loving it yet.

Also, I heard about issues with call quality with it cutting out but I have not experienced that yet. Call quality has been good. The camera performance has not been great but I'm looking forward to that update that should come out anytime now that should improve it.

Thanks for all your help.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to provide a quick update. I received the Moto X I purchased off of Ebay last night. I was out until late so I let it charge while I slept. So far, I really like it. It has been really smooth and despite it being 720p, the picture is really good. My biggest concern was battery life and I am pleasantly surprised. I have screen on time of almost 3 hours and still have 50%. This is also after my first charge and me downloading a bunch of stuff and getting things set up so I am very pleased so far.

I am still amazed at how big the screen is in such a small phone body. It is almost the exact same size as my iphone 5 in a case. I really like the feel of it also. I heard about how so many people love the Motorola dimple and I don't find myself loving it yet.

Also, I heard about issues with call quality with it cutting out but I have not experienced that yet. Call quality has been good. The camera performance has not been great but I'm looking forward to that update that should come out anytime now that should improve it.

Thanks for all your help.

The only thing left is wait for camera update.