...Going from Galaxy S3 to Moto X

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So, at 9 months, I guess I'm at the point where not only am I getting antsy and looking for a new toy, but I'm also still in search of the perfect phone. GS4 Google Edition, but with its small storage size and issues with apps writing to the SD card, I had to turn my attention back to the phone I've been admiring from afar: the Moto X. After doing tons of reading, I'm still undecided and thought I'd ask actual users a few questions.

I have a few major gipes with the Galaxy S3 that battery life on LTE, while having improved after the last update, is still not satisfactory. I get maybe 8-10 hours and that's basically if I don't really use it all that much. And two, the updates are slow; Which usually wouldn't be a problem, but I want the ability to customize my phones lockscreen and don't want a separate lockscreen app.

So that being said, I have a few questions for you guys.

1. What are the frequency of updates like?

2. What is battery life like on heavy usage?

3. Does the phone allow you to sync your contacts to Facebook?

4. Do you notice any of the always on features significant battery drain?

5.What should I, generally, be aware of before going from one phone to the next? (Don't put too much effort into answering this one just anything that comes to mind)

For those that take the time out to read/respond thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

yazzinit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I also came from the S3 to the Moto X:

1) Frequency of updates depends on carrier. Moto just released a camera update, but only T-Mobile pushed it right away. It's not a Nexus device, so updates will likely be the same speed as anyone else.
2) Check the battery forums here and on XDA as well. Battery life is way better. I get 4-5.5 hours of screen time on Verizon LTE easily. 16-20ish hours of phone on time. Way better than the S3, as you said, which would demand to be charged after 1/2 a day even on wifi for me.
3) Not inherently, but I downloaded UberSync (free app) which did it in 2 minutes. FB pictures for the contacts and in messaging, so it's the same thing now.
4) Nope, if anything they save it. Active notifications saves me turning the phone on repeatedly for time and checking txts and mail, nobody on the forums has found Moto Connect to drain anything excessive (texting from Chrome browser on PC), nor the always listening. Plus, with 4-5 hours of screen on time, it doesn't seem like it anyway lol.
5) The camera on the Moto X has some controversy regarding how good or bad it is. It's not the best, but how bad it is is also pretty subjective depending on your eye and experience with cameras. You should also be aware that the Moto X flies and you may find yourself spending more time on the phone than you previously did, since it actually works better lol.

I highly recommend it. Way better than my experience with the S3.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
great phone, now that the camera and call fixes are rolling out, with the other minor fixes, i dont think that it can get any better. go for it, dont wait, you will not regret.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting 5-7hrs screen time with everything enabled.

Posted via Android Central App

Is the screen on during that period of time for actual usage or is that the active display going for a significant portion of those hours?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Is the screen on during that period of time for actual usage or is that the active display going for a significant portion of those hours?

I'm getting 12-14hrs total use.

The screen is on being used by me for 5-7hrs. This phone kicks ***

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I went from a GS3 and finally got the Moto X just 2 days ago. The $99 price and keeping my unlimited data sealed the deal. With unlimited data almost never use Wifi. I had the phone for 1 full day and I have to say I was hoping the battery life on the Moto X would be better. It was definitely better than the GS3. Last night I got the update that we've all been waiting for and I have to say the battery life has been amazing. I''ve been off charge for 12 hours now and battery is at 71% remaining now. Granted this has been with "light" usage. Took some short videos this morning, have GPS, BT on all the time, auto brightness. some light texting.

The GS3 was lagging for me at times, I had some random reboots and was really just getting tired of working around these things. The Moto X feels heavier to me, but does feel better in the hand. It definitely feels smaller in the hand than the GS3. I did have to get used to not having the TouchWiz stuff I've grown accustomed to. No speed dials, no physical home button. The back button is on the other side in the Moto X (on the left vs the right). This phone doesn't lag and I love it! You can't go wrong with it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a 16GB model to check out and it really is a great phone. I used it as my daily driver for almost two weeks and initially did not like the smaller screen (Was using a S4 GPe). But I got used to it and after using touchless controls and active notification I really liked it. I did not like my kids yelling "ok Google Now" all the way to school to try and get it to come on lol!

I sold my 16GB model yesterday and just ordered a 32GB all black woven model on moto maker for 529.99. The price has dropped $100 since yesterday. I should have it Tuesday! I also sold my S4 GPe yesterday also (good day!) and am waiting for the Nexus 5 to drop also. Gotta have my google wallet!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using a vzw S3 32 gb model.I have an vzw Moto X 16 gb .So far so good on storage .I dont typicaly put much music on my phone. I put that on a USB stick instead and plug into car stereo.
The battery has been great get 24-26 hrs a charge screen on time avg 3.5 hrs
OS has no lag out of box also for vzw min. Bloatware. I was looking for a phone with about same screen size as S3 but yet more pocketable.The Moto X fit my specs. I havent looked back.

sent from Moto X

ChumpChange

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
There hasn't been any activity in this thread for a while and I am considering switching from my S3 to the Moto X. The only thing holding me back has been the camera. I've tried finding some comparisons between the cameras on these two phones especially since the Moto X's camera upgrade and would appreciate any feedback I can get from users of these devices.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I really think the camera is better than the S3. Maybe I never learned how to use the camera on my S3 but this one took great pics over Christmas for me. Much simpler design and much faster to open and snap. I'm no expert on cameras tho. I wanted a G2 for the great camera but everything else about the moto x... Especially the price... Made me willing to give it a shot. I've had it since the cyber Monday deal(Vzw DE) and I love it. Liked it so much I bought the wife one with the 100 buck off deal recently. For less than 400 off contract... It's definitely worth it! Plus my s3 was getting glitchy... I still don't have the last update.

Posted via my Moto X DE

nydog

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at the moto X as well, currently have a gs3. My concern is getting it now and a new version comes out in a month. Is there any information on a new version coming out?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
There hasn't been any activity in this thread for a while and I am considering switching from my S3 to the Moto X. The only thing holding me back has been the camera. I've tried finding some comparisons between the cameras on these two phones especially since the Moto X's camera upgrade and would appreciate any feedback I can get from users of these devices.

I know that post is a bit old but the front facing camera on the Moto X is without question worse than the S3 in low light settings. There's not a drastic difference between rear facing cameras and some of the features of the general Moto X camera could theoretically make up for any deficiencies noticed between the rear facing cameras.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the moto X as well, currently have a gs3. My concern is getting it now and a new version comes out in a month. Is there any information on a new version coming out?

If you can wait a couple of months then it wouldn't hurt. If you can't I'd get it. I also came from a GS3 and the moto x was a big improvement for me. The screen is much better (doesn't have that bluish/purple hue which I hated, also no pentile). The battery life is better (unless you have an extended battery, then it's a moot point). The build quality is much better. The software is also much better, I never really liked touchwiz though.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I find the battery claims to be way over exaggerated. I probably get about ten percent better battery life than my gs3. And yes, the camera is way worse. On the plus side, my gs3 is so laggy at this point it's almost unusable. Takes about 10 seconds to bring up a contact. I haven't had that problem with the moto x. The reception is much better as well on the moto x but I'd wait and see if they come out with a better camera and bigger battery.

Last edited:

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
After the 4.4.3 update (T-Mo) the low light performance of the camera is greatly improved. I am getting very good pictures in all kinds of lighting. And, I love the double twist to unlock the phone and activate the camera app.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Battery life on my moto x. Can never make it even 3/4 of a day with moderate use.

Attachments

• 12769.jpg
    12769.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 12768.jpg
    12768.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 77

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member