detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What the heck is the difference between the stock Moto X Calender and the Google Calender app you can download from Play? They look the same? Sorry I'm an android N00b.

Does anyone use a better calender they recommend?

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using aCalendar (free) recently because I started looking for alternative when I saw the moto x and G2 calendars. I don't like just dots or lines on my month view. S4 calendar seemed ok but I hate the color scheme.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
What the heck is the difference between the stock Moto X Calender and the Google Calender app you can download from Play? They look the same? Sorry I'm an android N00b.

Does anyone use a better calender they recommend?

There are subtle UI differences between the two, especially when it comes to the data/time picker, the Google Calender is a little slicker, more animated. Also, I can't confirm this on the X but on the Droid Maxx (which is basically the same phone) the stock calendar doesn't have the "Private" field option, which for me is important as I use my work MS Exchange calendar for all of my calendar events.

I ended up downloading the Google Calendar from the Play store and disabling the stock calendar. My thought is that the play store calendar will probably be updated/supported more than the stock. What I don't understand though is why there are two in the first place. I thought that the Moto X for the most part is stock android.

This is what the time pickers look like between the two, the first being the stock calendar

Screenshot_2013-09-27-11-15-07.png

Screenshot_2013-09-27-11-15-39.png

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Does anyone know the difference between google cal and the stock cal? ha ha

they both are same but signed differently(moto X cal signed by Motorola and Google cal signed by Google) and build at different changeset.

let me explain. Android has stock calender which anyone can use on android but most OEM will remove it and use their own cal app.
just like calculator, clock etc

what google did was they took the Nexus signed cal app(originally from 4.2.2) and published it to playstore
now when you see an update from playstore it might include 4.3 cal code + some bug fixes
but Motorola took 4.2.2's calender code and signed it instead of using Google signed cal app.

I hope its clear. its kind of simple concept but hard to explain.

Moto X has Android 4.2.2 cal code and signed by Motorola

Google Cal has 4.3 cal code with some improvements and signed by Google.

since they are signed by two, cal from play store wont replace Moto X cal.

on Nexus devices it will replace since both are signed by google.

detroitmikeb

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying guys!

I could google it but I like this forum so maybe one of your guys will answer: How do I change my default app for actions?

P.S.S. - I like the google cal icon better.

they both are same but signed differently(moto X cal signed by Motorola and Google cal signed by Google) and build at different changeset.

let me explain. Android has stock calender which anyone can use on android but most OEM will remove it and use their own cal app.
just like calculator, clock etc

what google did was they took the Nexus signed cal app(originally from 4.2.2) and published it to playstore
now when you see an update from playstore it might include 4.3 cal code + some bug fixes
but Motorola took 4.2.2's calender code and signed it instead of using Google signed cal app.

I hope its clear. its kind of simple concept but hard to explain.

Moto X has Android 4.2.2 cal code and signed by Motorola

Google Cal has 4.3 cal code with some improvements and signed by Google.

since they are signed by two, cal from play store wont replace Moto X cal.

on Nexus devices it will replace since both are signed by google.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying guys!

I could google it but I like this forum so maybe one of your guys will answer: How do I change my default app for actions?

P.S.S. - I like the google cal icon better.

settings-->Apps-->All Apps[extreme right]-->[select the app]-->Clear defaults

or if you want to clear all defaults

settings-->Apps-->reset app preference

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non