Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: Kit Kat update

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Really? and my S3 is already being tested with 5.0. Buddy of mine that works for Samsung told me so... Smells like...

There is not evidence anywhere that moto will get any special treatment for updates. Both Google and Moto have said explicitly that they will not get the updates early and thus will be on the same time frame as everyone else. No mater how much the moto x looks stock, i can guarantee you it is not under the hood. Moto has to take the time to develope and optimize code for hardware and get all of the unique features(and carrier bloat) working.

I am afraid that anyone that is looking for updates much quicker than anything that is not a nexus or GPe device is going to be disappointed. I mean sense the moto x has a finished 4.3 build already and everything...
    There's no reason to think any manufacturers need special treatment. There are stories out there about app developers being made aware in advance of upcoming changes to sms integration. If app developers are getting advanced notice, why wouldn't phone makers? What advantage would Google find in springing surprises on the companies that have the ability to address the fragmentation Google has said it wants to address?

Likely, the signs of who will update what are out there.
    HTC seems to see updates as a path to sales
    Moto has publicly stated that updates are important and are proving it with the Moto X.
    Moto starting work on a 4.4 update at the same time as Samsung in no way means they are on the same time-frame.
    The next two years will show us a lot.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,489 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    There's no reason to think any manufacturers need special treatment. There are stories out there about app developers being made aware in advance of upcoming changes to sms integration. If app developers are getting advanced notice, why wouldn't phone makers? What advantage would Google find in springing surprises on the companies that have the ability to address the fragmentation Google has said it wants to address?

Likely, the signs of who will update what are out there.
    HTC seems to see updates as a path to sales
    Moto has publicly stated that updates are important and are proving it with the Moto X.
    Moto starting work on a 4.4 update at the same time as Samsung in no way means they are on the same time-frame.
    The next two years will show us a lot.
    See Android Upgrade Alliance.

IMO, being "open" about update schedules is just lip service to the "hardcore" community. I still think it's irrelevant to the masses who just need to be able to call, text, email, take a photo, check their social media platform(s) of choice, and search the web - especially with Google Play Services and including Gmail, Google Maps, Google Keyboard, Google Calendar, etc. in the Play store.

"The upgrade problem nowadays is our expectation and what we anticipate from these things." - Vlad Savov, The Verge Mobile Show
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Tom in Bristol likes this.

+1 on See Android Upgrade Alliance
    +1 also on most people don't care about or possibly even want upgrades...up to the moment a security flaw is found.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Do Moto X owners already have most of what is included in Kitkat? Or is there something new for us besides the new dialer and text messaging apps?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    You think you will get 4.4.......ROFL

Where is 4.3?
    Why would Google waste resources to code 4.3 when 4.4 will be out within 2 months of the phone release?
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7
    paisley99 likes this.

Why would anyone want to make predictions on updates this early?
    This is a new Moto under new management with new commitments.
    I wouldn't even try to guess when, how often, or for how long at this stage of the game.

Motorola said updates for 24 months. Done

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Lol how??

Ry

Global Posts
    8,489 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdmta View Post
    Motorola said updates for 24 months. Done

Yup.

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Is it really that hard to see skipping 4.3 is the most logical thing to do with kit kat release shortly?

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

What version does the Moto X have right now? Don't we have 4.3?

Quote Originally Posted by atkjhi View Post
    What version does the Moto X have right now? Don't we have 4.3?
    My VZW Moto X is on 4.2.2.

I know stock is a big deal to some, but if you ran the Apex launcher you could have custom icons and transparent draw if you want. In addition to some other cool stuff like gestures. I used to care about Android updates until I got a NexusS and the update totally destroyed the usability of the phone. Granted, that probably won't happen in this small update, but still.. what are they really adding that is a necessity besides maybe better camera options hopefully?

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Any idea wen kitkat is coming ?

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Aimes_D View Post
    Any idea wen kitkat is coming ?
    Its not even announced yet. No one knows when it will even be released for nexus and GPe devices, much less the moto x. I would be much more worried about 4.3. Moto COULD skip 4.3, but i remember a build leaking for it a couple weeks back. This would mean they are working on it, so a skip is unlikely. Which also means 4.4 is at least months down the road as well.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

If I had to guess I'd say early February for Kit Kat on the Verizon Moto X. Based on rollouts in the past.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Samsung galaxy s4 - any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by atkjhi View Post
    Do Moto X owners already have most of what is included in Kitkat? Or is there something new for us besides the new dialer and text messaging apps?
    How would we know? Kit Kat hasn't even been announced yet, so we don't know what features it will have.

Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan View Post
    The Moto X is already being tested with KitKat internally.
    Links (instead of pics) or it didn't happen.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

I'm sorry!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    587 Global Posts

Just because Motorola says updates for 24 months, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be timely or numerous, or that they even necessarily relate to OS version updates. After all, Motorola updated the Droid X not to long ago... that's a device that has been supported and update for MUCH longer than 24 months, just not with OS updates. I know I'm nitpicking on wording here, and that fact is annoying, but it's the way I see it.
    jephanie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    Links (instead of pics) or it didn't happen.
    Man, you got me. It didn't happen.

...Only that it actually is happening.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_Radar View Post
    Why would Google waste resources to code 4.3 when 4.4 will be out within 2 months of the phone release?
    Well Google would not waste any resources because the phone is made and coded by Motorola... not Google(which is a very odd misconception ppl are commonly having?)
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Ry and KWKSLVR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Really? and my S3 is already being tested with 5.0. Buddy of mine that works for Samsung told me so... Smells like...

There is not evidence anywhere that moto will get any special treatment for updates. Both Google and Moto have said explicitly that they will not get the updates early and thus will be on the same time frame as everyone else. No mater how much the moto x looks stock, i can guarantee you it is not under the hood. Moto has to take the time to develope and optimize code for hardware and get all of the unique features(and carrier bloat) working.

I am afraid that anyone that is looking for updates much quicker than anything that is not a nexus or GPe device is going to be disappointed. I mean sense the moto x has a finished 4.3 build already and everything...
    http://feedly.com/k/1h4ceTp

See.

What I'm really curious is what kind of tinkering will Motorola do with Kitkat's expanded Touchless Controls. Is it reasonable to expect Motorola bring unique features of Touchless control feature with its Kitkat update?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast