Kit Kat update

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X is already being tested with KitKat internally.

Really? and my S3 is already being tested with 5.0. Buddy of mine that works for Samsung told me so... Smells like...

There is not evidence anywhere that moto will get any special treatment for updates. Both Google and Moto have said explicitly that they will not get the updates early and thus will be on the same time frame as everyone else. No mater how much the moto x looks stock, i can guarantee you it is not under the hood. Moto has to take the time to develope and optimize code for hardware and get all of the unique features(and carrier bloat) working.

I am afraid that anyone that is looking for updates much quicker than anything that is not a nexus or GPe device is going to be disappointed. I mean sense the moto x has a finished 4.3 build already and everything...

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Really? and my S3 is already being tested with 5.0. Buddy of mine that works for Samsung told me so... Smells like...

There is not evidence anywhere that moto will get any special treatment for updates. Both Google and Moto have said explicitly that they will not get the updates early and thus will be on the same time frame as everyone else. No mater how much the moto x looks stock, i can guarantee you it is not under the hood. Moto has to take the time to develope and optimize code for hardware and get all of the unique features(and carrier bloat) working.

I am afraid that anyone that is looking for updates much quicker than anything that is not a nexus or GPe device is going to be disappointed. I mean sense the moto x has a finished 4.3 build already and everything...
:lol: Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better, I guess.

I was playing with the Moto X back in February.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

There's no reason to think any manufacturers need special treatment. There are stories out there about app developers being made aware in advance of upcoming changes to sms integration. If app developers are getting advanced notice, why wouldn't phone makers? What advantage would Google find in springing surprises on the companies that have the ability to address the fragmentation Google has said it wants to address?

Likely, the signs of who will update what are out there.
HTC seems to see updates as a path to sales
Moto has publicly stated that updates are important and are proving it with the Moto X.
Moto starting work on a 4.4 update at the same time as Samsung in no way means they are on the same time-frame.
The next two years will show us a lot.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason to think any manufacturers need special treatment. There are stories out there about app developers being made aware in advance of upcoming changes to sms integration. If app developers are getting advanced notice, why wouldn't phone makers? What advantage would Google find in springing surprises on the companies that have the ability to address the fragmentation Google has said it wants to address?

Likely, the signs of who will update what are out there.
HTC seems to see updates as a path to sales
Moto has publicly stated that updates are important and are proving it with the Moto X.
Moto starting work on a 4.4 update at the same time as Samsung in no way means they are on the same time-frame.
The next two years will show us a lot.

See Android Upgrade Alliance.

IMO, being "open" about update schedules is just lip service to the "hardcore" community. I still think it's irrelevant to the masses who just need to be able to call, text, email, take a photo, check their social media platform(s) of choice, and search the web - especially with Google Play Services and including Gmail, Google Maps, Google Keyboard, Google Calendar, etc. in the Play store.

"The upgrade problem nowadays is our expectation and what we anticipate from these things." - Vlad Savov, The Verge Mobile Show

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
+1 on See Android Upgrade Alliance
+1 also on most people don't care about or possibly even want upgrades...up to the moment a security flaw is found.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Do Moto X owners already have most of what is included in Kitkat? Or is there something new for us besides the new dialer and text messaging apps?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone want to make predictions on updates this early?
This is a new Moto under new management with new commitments.
I wouldn't even try to guess when, how often, or for how long at this stage of the game.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I know stock is a big deal to some, but if you ran the Apex launcher you could have custom icons and transparent draw if you want. In addition to some other cool stuff like gestures. I used to care about Android updates until I got a NexusS and the update totally destroyed the usability of the phone. Granted, that probably won't happen in this small update, but still.. what are they really adding that is a necessity besides maybe better camera options hopefully?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Any idea wen kitkat is coming ?

Its not even announced yet. No one knows when it will even be released for nexus and GPe devices, much less the moto x. I would be much more worried about 4.3. Moto COULD skip 4.3, but i remember a build leaking for it a couple weeks back. This would mean they are working on it, so a skip is unlikely. Which also means 4.4 is at least months down the road as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000