Horrible reception

dcrimmy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
We had poor reception in our house. Mainly my wife on her Iphone. My Samsung was ok. But she was dropping calls constantly, so we got a network extender which solved the problem. Then I bought the MotoX and now I'm the one with constant voice cutting in and out. I've been reading that it's possibly a software issue. What I notice is that my reception is usually around -70 when the 3G icon is on my phone, but the instant it flips to 4G, the signal goes to -120 or so and one tiny bar. It will eventually flip back to a full 3G signal and -70, but even then I still get some cutting out. Super aggravating. I wonder if it's a defective phone?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
We had poor reception in our house. Mainly my wife on her Iphone. My Samsung was ok. But she was dropping calls constantly, so we got a network extender which solved the problem. Then I bought the MotoX and now I'm the one with constant voice cutting in and out. I've been reading that it's possibly a software issue. What I notice is that my reception is usually around -70 when the 3G icon is on my phone, but the instant it flips to 4G, the signal goes to -120 or so and one tiny bar. It will eventually flip back to a full 3G signal and -70, but even then I still get some cutting out. Super aggravating. I wonder if it's a defective phone?

What carrier are you with?

shanghai

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced the same issues with poor call quality using a MotoX developer edition on Verizon. Returning the phone, $700 for a phone that can't make calls isn't acceptable, will probably repurchase once call qualtity issues are resolved. Gadget wise the MotoX is great but personally also need a functioning phone so back to the Gnex which is on life support. Spent several hours on Friday on phone with Motorola and Verizon to resolve call quality issues, new sim, factory reset etc. and nothing worked, in fact it got worse. Dealing with Motorola is not the most pleasant way to spend your day, I never got a person that English was their first language and several individuals were impossible to understand and usually I don't have such difficulty-wasn't the phone because I used a land line, anyway next purchase will be from Verizon, much easier to deal with!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am on ATT and my network connection and voice calls have been superb. (The ATT network is rock solid with any phone here in DFW) I took my kids to a county fair about 1.5 hours outside of DFW and it was still great. My wife has t mobile and was having trouble getting a signal on her s3.

I have been impressed in the 5 days I have had the moto x.

Sent from my Moto X

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I've never had better reception or better call quality. There are always going to be a number of devices that have issues, so I'd get it swapped out if I were you. At least it isn't a giant turd like the Galaxy Nexus turned out to be, in which the inverse was true and only a small number of devices actually had good reception.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Dealing with Motorola is not the most pleasant way to spend your day, I never got a person that English was their first language and several individuals were impossible to understand
I must have got lucky dealing with Motorola once when i had to contact about questions about the moto care web page not showing the map getting an error code from google.
That person spoke perfect english .They had returned a call from a email i sent them.I couldnt talk to them that day since i was delievering parts.They set up a time when to call me back.
They called me back ( same person) and gave them details and told them the problem had fixed itself so must have been a server issue on their end.
So some of Motorola people do speak English not sure how many

sent from Moto X

Ratamacue2

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the Bionic, which was a poster child for having reception and data issues, the X has been a breath of fresh air. On VZW in the Philly area everything has been essentially bulletproof. Not a single issue.

OP, are you having the same problems if you are in an area with a strong signal?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

mine is exactly the same re: -80's in 3G, -115/120 on 4G. I think others were having this same experience. Haven't really checked after the update though; yet the reception itself is okay. I think. Don't talk on the phone much.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
mine is exactly the same re: -80's in 3G, -115/120 on 4G. I think others were having this same experience. Haven't really checked after the update though; yet the reception itself is okay. I think. Don't talk on the phone much.

Is this being interpreted as bad?

XT1060. Through spacetime.

dcrimmy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, just saying I have the same numbers. I did read that the higher negative number is worse than having lower one. I stick to 3g on purpose though.

Posted via Android Central App

This was my thought as well, just stick it to 3G. I just don't understand why 3G or 4G would have anything to do with voice reception, I thought that was just data. If I'm getting great reception on 3G, why am I dropping calls when it switches over to 4G? And locking into 3G when I have a 4G phone doesn't seem like a good solution.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
This was my thought as well, just stick it to 3G. I just don't understand why 3G or 4G would have anything to do with voice reception, I thought that was just data. If I'm getting great reception on 3G, why am I dropping calls when it switches over to 4G? And locking into 3G when I have a 4G phone doesn't seem like a good solution.

Agree. Hopefully someone knows what's up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo