Verizon OTA Soak Test

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a good chance that you will not be in this test since people have been getting surveys and they only take the first 1000. But there will probably be others.
Soak tests are OTA. If you get a download link, I would be wary of it. Soak tests only take a few days. Once it actually starts, you can expect everyone to start getting the update within a week unless something is really wrong.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I signed up to for soak testing right after I got this phone.But havent gotten a email..... guess they are ready have enough testers .

Edit : I got one after all

Last edited:

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I simply followed the Motorola Feedback Network setup process on their website. When I got the email from Motorola they did request my MEID though, it was basically the same email that I would get for soak tests on my OG Droid and my Bionic.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
for those who signed up, did you put in ur phones info on the motorola site? as far as the hex id # etc...?
I had mine hex id # on the motorola site already but I dont think it had to be there(motorola site).It had to be in the surveymonkey questionnaire though.

This is my first time in testing a soak test

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a Moto X but returned it last week because I was having call quality issues. I just got the Soak test email yesterday, and I'm kind of wishing I kept the Moto X now. If anyone here has had the same issue, let us know if the update fixes it.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
One theory I saw floating around that might have some validity to it is that since Verizon just started to turn on AWS LTE, maybe in addition to the regular bug fixes that other carriers got, Verizon could also have greenlit Motorola to enable the AWS LTE band in the radio? That could explain the delay and possible additional testing that went into this update?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
One theory I saw floating around that might have some validity to it is that since Verizon just started to turn on AWS LTE, maybe in addition to the regular bug fixes that other carriers got, Verizon could also have greenlit Motorola to enable the AWS LTE band in the radio? That could explain the delay and possible additional testing that went into this update?

There's no delay. Verizon is always last. This sounds like someone's fantasy. No way AWS has anything to do with the Verizon Moto X update.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say Verizon is always last, I know my wife's Verizon SGS3 got 4.1.2 over a month before it was released on AT&T so sometimes they are worse than others. I also know that an OTA is required to enable band 4 on the X and considering Verizon literally just turned it on, the timing is a bit suspicious so I can see why someone might think this. Still we really won't know till the OTA is here and people can check it out.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

That's interesting. My take is they are probably more concerned about fixing some call quality and camera bugs with this OTA and holding out on flipping the AWS switch for now. Who knows.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Got the email and filled it out about 10 minutes after it came....i'm blowing up the check for updates button lol. Hopefully they will release it soon. Every time I use the camera, I miss my s4 a little more.

Fk28

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
To those involved in the soak test PLEASE provide input back to Verizon/Motorola for a way to completely disable the vibrate on touch feature. Unchecking this option in settings has no effect on vibration for active notifications which cannot be turned off. The vibration/rattle is at least for me ruining what is otherwise a fantastic phone.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
To those involved in the soak test PLEASE provide input back to Verizon/Motorola for a way to completely disable the vibrate on touch feature. Unchecking this option in settings has no effect on vibration for active notifications which cannot be turned off. The vibration/rattle is at least for me ruining what is otherwise a fantastic phone.

agree, the vibration on slide unlock is the only thing i hate about this phone. And i really hate it. Not sure they'll take it off though, they do it to most of their phones i think. ugh.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

agree, the vibration on slide unlock is the only thing i hate about this phone. And i really hate it. Not sure they'll take it off though, they do it to most of their phones i think. ugh.

Have y'all tried to unticked this ......> settings>sound>scroll down to next to list in list and untick Vibrate on touch ?

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Have y'all tried to unticked this ......> settings>sound>scroll down to next to list in list and untick Vibrate on touch ?
Isn't that what fk28 did and doesn't work?
The vibrate is crazy rough and intense and loud. This is my only other hesitation about getting the phone if they fix voice. Although I know it can be softer because it was on at&t phones I tried. Maybe at&t had motorola dial it down?
But anyway yes I have no need for touch feedback at all. I use it for my home back menu keys on my fascinate because it is so laggy now that I need the feedback to know it registered the keypress, but yet sometimes I still hit it twice because even the vibrate itself lags so long I give up waiting. Ugh I really want a faster phone already!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that what fk28 did and doesn't work?
The vibrate is crazy rough and intense and loud. This is my only other hesitation about getting the phone if they fix voice. Although I know it can be softer because it was on at&t phones I tried. Maybe at&t had motorola dial it down?
But anyway yes I have no need for touch feedback at all. I use it for my home back menu keys on my fascinate because it is so laggy now that I need the feedback to know it registered the keypress, but yet sometimes I still hit it twice because even the vibrate itself lags so long I give up waiting. Ugh I really want a faster phone already!

It worked for me for everything but the slide unlock. So go into settings and uncheck anything that says vibration or haptic. I think there are 2 dif settings that have it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have no vibration on my phone at all ,I always turns those off just my preference.
Another one for the keyboard is under : Settings>Lang.& input>Google Keyboard>Vibrate on Keypress.
You can adjust the intensity for the keyboard by going into the keyboard settings and hitting advanced. It's the "keypress vibration duration" setting.I have mine on zero (slide the scale all the way to the left).I think the default setting was 6 not positive tho.
The only way you can change the intensity is to move it before you untick the "Vibrate On Keypress"(settings>Lang&input>google keyboard>vibrate on keypress) in the regular setting or it will be grayed out.
That may be overkill but its what I did.
I dont use a lockscreen tho.
Of course I do get a vibrate when I turn phone off or on I dont think you can turn that one off.

Last edited:

Fk28

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I've turned off every vibration selection on the phone yet active notifications and the slide lock still vibrates. My point here is that there is no way to disable this and there should be. That's why I'm asking all the soak test folks to PLEASE input this to the folks at Verizon/Motorola to have this feature added. For such a fine phone I still can't believe that vibration on this thing is so bad. Mine may go back for this very reason.